Finally in English: So Long Marianne - A Love Story

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Clementine

Re: Finally in English: So Long Marianne - A Love Story

Post by Clementine »

I got mine about a week ago from Book Depository in the UK. They post free - worldwide. I'm really enjoying it too!
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Clementine wrote:I got mine about a week ago from Book Depository in the UK. They post free - worldwide. I'm really enjoying it too!
And in the uk currently only £10.77 - free delivery- from the book depository
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

What's the hurry? Have more than enough LC books, if truth were told. Not exactly urgent. Will look forward to this one when Amazon produces it when I return from holidays! (Must say they have found books for me which other more obscure sites couldn't find.)
Last edited by Athnuachan on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Athnuachan wrote:What's the hurry? Have more than enough LC books, if truth were told. Not exactly urgent. Will look forward to this one when Amaxon produces it when I return from holidays! (Must say they have found books for me which other more obscure sites couldn't find.)
Worth pointing out though that the Book Depository (order via www.abebooks.co.uk) is considerably cheaper than Amazon. Wait longer. Pay more. Your choice.
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Mabeanie1 wrote: Worth pointing out though that the Book Depository (order via http://www.abebooks.co.uk) is considerably cheaper than Amazon.
If you live in UK yes.
I don't.

I'm happy to wait. Each to his/her own!
Anyway anticipation is often better than realisation...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It's more in this case, Athnuachan... the anticipation, the realization.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Athnuachan wrote:If you live in UK yes.
I don't.

I'm happy to wait. Each to his/her own!
Anyway anticipation is often better than realisation...
Happy to let you enjoy your anticipation but just want to point out that they ship to Ireland for free too.

W
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

So they ship free to the U.S., too, Wendy? Seems unlikely, but if they're cheaper, it could still balance out to be a better deal than Amazon.
~ Oscar Wilde
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Mabeanie1 wrote: Happy to let you enjoy your anticipation but just want to point out that they ship to Ireland for free too.

W
Really? Last time I dealt with ABE it was "delivery free within UK ", as most of them are.
Will have a look again - might even fast forward, who knows! Or might not... Could just re-read all the LC books I already have in the meantime. Anyway, thanks for your perseverance !
lunamoth2014

Post by lunamoth2014 »

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I haven't. Either here or elsewhere, but need to do that. I went and read the other reviews, and the one I resonated with most was at the bottom and written by "Bettie." I tried to Like it, but cannot do so without signing in/joining/whatever. Thanks for bringing this link to us. When I can do it, I'll write my own review... an amalgamation of my many comments on Facebook about it, which I need to find and retrieve for this purpose. I LOVED the book... and was glad that Leonard was covered as relatively little as he was... I came to the book to find out about Marianne, as well as Marianne and Leonard. I was gratified to learn as much as I did about Marianne herself.
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Interesting, an easy read, but, it left me feeling sad.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I enjoyed Marianne's book. It was sad, especially when the new girlfriend knocked on her door on Hydra to ask her when she and her 12yr old son were moving out as she wanted to move in.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I know, that was a hard moment for me, too. It made sense when she said she felt relief, as it brought the clarity that their relationship was for sure over [my words, not hers], but what a cruel way for that to have occurred to a someone so open and loving as Marianne.
~ Oscar Wilde
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

I have been unable to find anyone able to get a copy to me before 17 July. However, I am on Hydra right now (hate Greek heat in mid-summer, but my adult children insisted this year we come when the island is abuzz with activity) and have my trusty Kindle with me, so I will download the e-book next Thursday.

I am in the Roloi right now (what was Katsika's, where Leonard and Marianne met) so it seems this would be the most appropriate place to read her book.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988

Return to “News”