How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
Judy

Re: How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

Post by Judy »

liverpoolken wrote:i know i'm in a minority of one but i still prefer a simply designed bench with no lines of poetry (with or without the first person singular pronoun) no logos no dates and with a just modest inscription to simply tell it's purpose .. anything else to me would have a memorial feel to it…ta ken
bench2.jpg
I totally agree with Ken ... with an even more minimalistic bench if possible - just straight up and down.
daka

Post by daka »

I agree with Ken, this bench he suggests seems to be congruent with Leonard's minimalistic Zen tendencies, reminding me of his fondness for simple functional tables. Apart from the simple modest inscription Ken suggests my personal preference would be for a designed (but structurally insignificant) crack in the bench somewhere.

sean
If you become the ocean you will not become seasick....Jikan (aka Leonard Cohen)

It's comin' from the feel that this ain't exactly real, or it's real, but it ain't exactly there! . Jikan
dick

Post by dick »

I agree with short and simple. I don't even think it needs to mention the 80th birthday.

Would like a bench with a back, and inscriptions "Came so Far for Beauty" and "Leonard Cohen"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I like the idea of the back, too. With Henning's design, I liked the idea of the arms that, albeit not comfy ones, could be used to lean on by the weary walker. I also like how the inscription is visible by looking at it from a distance vs. right up on it and/or looking down. Like the minimalist design of Ken's bench... if it had a back and the inscription on the front, akin to Henning's design, which also included the unified hearts in a non-intrusive way.

Is there a "Greek" architectural design that would fit with Leonard's taste?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Lakis Christidis has already asked a civil engineer to make a design of the bench and proceed all the paper work to the Archaeological Service. We talked about a simple stone bench that can be accepted by municipality and Archaeological Council. As Lakis Christidis said, they have also marked places looking at the sea on the road to Kamini where the bench can be built. While waiting for the answer, they will also talk with a local builder for all details of the construction. In case the answer of the Arch.Council is positive, LC community will decide about accepting the final design and cover the cost.
If everything goes well, I vote for a minimal inscription, I like "Came so far for beauty". Celebrating birthday inscriptions are not so common here, but I guess the majority would like to include it in our project, in that case I would prefer something simple.

Sophia
Last edited by Sophia on Thu May 15, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

liverpoolken wrote:i know i'm in a minority of one but i still prefer a simply designed bench with no lines of poetry (with or without the first person singular pronoun) no logos no dates and with a just modest inscription to simply tell it's purpose .. anything else to me would have a memorial feel to it…ta ken
bench2.jpg
This is a wise, fair and accurate, Ken.

Beautiful bench, Henning!

And if it would be a monument, I can not imagine a statue of LC (not yet). At most, such as guitars with engraved quote (although I realize that this idea is not unique).

p.s. and on the birthday of the Master I wish for myself and for all of YOU - friends - ignite a "first" symbolic cigarette with Leonard in the real world in September - at the great banquet table common - it would be supermundane

Hugs for all :)
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

From Sophia's comments, it appears that we don't need to put our minds to the design consideration, as it quite appropriately will be determined at the local level, though I guess we as a Forum have to ultimately accept (or not) whatever proposal/design they come up with. However, I think we should ultimately aim to respect local sensibilities and defer to their bench design (and location) preferences. ;-)

Also, mindful of Sophia's comment on this, I would support a simple inscription like Dick suggests above, 'Came So Far For Beauty - Leonard Cohen'.

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I think the bench shown by Liverpool Ken would be something Leonard would like. Plain and simple. 8)
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Judy

Post by Judy »

Cheshire gal wrote:I think the bench shown by Liverpool Ken would be something Leonard would like. Plain and simple. 8)
I quite agree :)
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Sophia wrote:As I mentioned in my earlier post, Lakis Christidis has already asked a civil engineer to make a design of the bench and proceed all the paper work to the Archaeological Service. We talked about a simple stone bench that can be accepted by municipality and Archaeological Council. As Lakis Christidis said, they have also marked places looking at the sea on the road to Kamini where the bench can be built. While waiting for the answer, they will also talk with a local builder for all details of the construction. If the answer of the Arch.Council is positive, LC community will decide about accepting the final design and cover the cost.
If everything goes well, I vote for a minimal inscription, I like "Came so far for beauty". Celebrating birthdays inscriptions are not so common here, but I guess the majority would like to include it in our project, in that case I would prefer something simple.

Sophia
I have been following this thread since it started. I am totally in favour of recognising Leonard's birthday in a lasting form.
I would suggest a bench with a back, as the weary traveller may appreciate the option of leaning back when they are sitting.
Otherwise, yes, simplicity of structure and inscription get my vote.
Regardless of what is finally decided, count on a financial contribution from me.
I hope to be able to sit on that bench one day, as I'm sure many forum members do too.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I like the idea of the back, too. With Henning's design, I liked the idea of the arms that, albeit not comfy ones, could be used to lean on by the weary walker.
Very close in the way we stated it, exact in what we meant... accommodating the weary walker. The arms in Henning's design served the purpose of what I'd like to see with a back. If both, however, it becomes a settee vs. a bench.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Christiane

Post by Christiane »

Dick, I totally agree with you: a bench in a puristic style that goes well with Greece and Mr Cohen.
And just "Came so Far for Beauty - Leonard Cohen", nothing about the Forum or
the 80th birthday.

Christiane
3mariza1

Post by 3mariza1 »

Hei kaikki LeonardCohen-faniystävät!!!

Ehdotus: "Leonard Cohen 80 vuotta"-niminen rahasto köyhien maiden lasten koulutukseen. Mihin jokainen halukas fani tai järjestö lahjoittaisi sopivaksi katsomallaan summalla...
( halutessaan nimettömänä). Kun köyhien maiden lapset saavat koulutusta, se vaikuttaa koko maailman hyvinvointiin. Miltä tuntuisi tällainen ajatus? Mielestäni sopisi hyvin Leonard Cohen-imagoon.
Jos joku voisi kääntää tekstini englanniksi, osaan niin huonosti ? Kiitos!
Rakkain terveisin, mariza
Last edited by 3mariza1 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

I must say that I agree that the bench should have a back as I assume, like me, the majority of members are in their senior years and hope to sit on the bench some day.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Yesterday's update from Hydra, from our friend Lakis:
The tourist season on Hydra hasn’t started yet properly but the cruising boats come everyday, as you know, bringing people mainly from Athens.
Some schools from different places of Greece and Europe are visiting the island, too.

On our project there is some progress. As I told you, our Mayor is already very positive for the issue. A few days ago my civil engineer friend came to the island.
We both have taken many photos of the possible places where to build the bench. With these pictures he will design a couple of ideas of the bench, depending on the locations.
Then we will meet with the Mayor for the final suggestion. Unfortunately until the next week the Mayor is very busy with the local elections. Meanwhile, we will prepare the designs.
After that we will be ready to give an approx cost of the bench.
So, right now we will wait for green light to our plan, and an estimate of the total costs. If everything goes well and the plan is viable, we will start a campaign to collect donations.
All the text etc. details can then be fine-tuned during the process.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”