How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
LisaLCFan

Re: How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

Post by LisaLCFan »

If the bench idea does become a reality, rather than trying to decide on which of Leonard Cohen's words everyone can agree upon for an inscription, a little chalk-board could be built into it, and people can write their own inscriptions on it. Perhaps a small built-in space can be made on the bench, where chalk can be stored. A helpful local resident or two could ensure that there is always a piece of chalk handy, and can erase any inappropriate remarks (or offending "I"s).

(Before anybody comments, I am kidding! Sort of...)
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Lady Di wrote:
My head is swimming after reading all the remarks and reasons for and against the inclusion or exclusion of one word! Personally, either is fine with me. Love the idea of the bench and the location, and of course when all is finalized, I will be thrilled to contribute. A very special birthday!
Ditto.

PS Sean/Daka, I loved your poems—they made me smile (for several minutes).
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Dem wrote:I like how we have started already
a debate if we will write "I came so far for beauty"
or just "Came so far for beauty"
when the bench is as of yet
just thin air :-) … Dem
Well, it is a virtual bench so far - or perhaps we can call it an iBench ;-)
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
dick

Post by dick »

How would "80 years" be expressed in Greek?

My vote would go for the LC signature as used by Marteen on Vegas name tag lanyards, (and on the hood of his car), the unified heart, and the 80 years in Greek.

If more is desired, I'd use "Came So Far for Beauty."

For the Chelsea plaque, I did Pay Pal and cash collections, and tracked the names of donors so that they could be printed in aprogram for plaque dedication. Anybody volunteer to do that roll this time? Assume someone is seeking approvals?

Collection overages for the plaque were substantial, and those funds went to LC's foundation for mid east peace.
daka

Post by daka »

imaginary friend wrote:Lady Di wrote:
My head is swimming after reading all the remarks and reasons for and against the inclusion or exclusion of one word! Personally, either is fine with me. Love the idea of the bench and the location, and of course when all is finalized, I will be thrilled to contribute. A very special birthday!
Ditto.

I am so glad, Imaginary Friend! :)

Sean
If you become the ocean you will not become seasick....Jikan (aka Leonard Cohen)

It's comin' from the feel that this ain't exactly real, or it's real, but it ain't exactly there! . Jikan
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

LOL, Paul. Good one!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
daka

Post by daka »

daka wrote:
imaginary friend wrote:Lady Di wrote:
Ditto.

I am so glad, Imaginary Friend! :)

Sean
I like your name very much, "Imaginary Friend"! It reminds me of a song I just wrote and recorded called "Imagined Dream" so I will put the link here; you might enjoy it..... http://jemhobbsseanhunt.bandcamp.com/tr ... ined-dream
If you become the ocean you will not become seasick....Jikan (aka Leonard Cohen)

It's comin' from the feel that this ain't exactly real, or it's real, but it ain't exactly there! . Jikan
Dem

Post by Dem »

dick:

"80 years" in Greek is "80 χρονια"
but "80th birthday" is the somewhat
more cumbersome "ογδοηκοστα γενεθλια".

But Greek is a very flexible language
so we could write
"For Leonard Cohen's 80th birthday"
as
"Για τα 80 χρονια του Leonard Cohen"

Dem
Athens 2008, Prague 2009, Paris 2012
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The last option would be beautiful... as well as very clear as to the precipitating event for the bench.
~ Oscar Wilde
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

For the Chelsea plaque, I did Pay Pal and cash collections, and tracked the names of donors so that they could be printed in aprogram for plaque dedication.

As written above Dick
PayPal payment method was very good and convenient. Any other form of payment in my case would be very expensive (bank charges) and a lot of unnecessary bank documents . But of course everything depends on the country which are sent money ...therefore pls forgive me this personal point of view. I experienced this on the occasion of plaque :)
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
maroo

Post by maroo »

I agree with paypal, safe and fast!
I would like to be part of this "present" so, hope to see other news here about that!!
Piero
Dublin 14/15th September 2012
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The World Heritage people may look more fondly on this if they know that at least a portion of the inscription would be in Greek!
~ Oscar Wilde
Cate

Post by Cate »

Whatever the final decision I'm sure it will be 'just right'. Dem, thank you so much for all of the work you are doing on this!
daka

Post by daka »

I like the bench idea too, in Greek, maybe with French and Spanish and English translations, because not everyone is mulilingual.
BUT what if Leonard lives to 90 or 100? will the bench lose it's uniqueness? Will it limit our options on those occasions? Maybe we can keep on thinking about the appropriate "monumental gift" for the occasion? This morning I wondered what a small statue of Leonard puffing on a cigarette might look like. It woud need no plaque, no explanation because he said "If I reach 80 I will smoke". I sounds to me like a powerful visual artistic representation of many aspects of the man. I m a little bit of a minimalist so I am imagining a bench with a crack in it facing a bronze statue of Leonard smoking a cigarette with no words of explanation. (The bronze statue of Leonard could have a crack in it too). For me that "crack" commentary..."There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" is the most profound thing Leonard has said in all of his communications. Anyways I am one mind with one opinion; I am only expressng it, with no expectations.

Sean
in Windermere

daka

Post by daka »

I just had another thought. There is a statue of Lorca in Madrid in a Plaza (Santa Ana). Here is a link to a series of images ....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=plaza ... Ag#imgdii=_

I am wondering what a little or big statue of Leonard smoking that cigarette would look like nearby. The Spanish have a reverence (palpable and definitely discernable) for Leonard which might help the project to leap any conventional hurdles. Even if this is a longer-term project maybe it merits some consideration. Anyone who watched the Prince of Asturias Awards speech .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIR5ps8usuo has a deep understanding not only of Leonard's feelings for Spain but also Spain's reverence for Leonard; he seems to have the seal of approval from the royalty. Maybe we could organize a bench facing Lorca's statue or maybe we could organize a bench and a smaller statue, or maybe a bench with a seated statue of Len smoking that 80th birthday cigarette (people could have their picture taken sitting beside the statue).

And maybe funding might be available in Spain towards the project?

Sean in Windermere

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”