How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
Alethea

Re: How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

Post by Alethea »

The title is a code for how to locate the song on the recording or set list. When a writer is quoted, it is from the body of his/her work.

A poem without a title is still a poem. A title without a poem is NOTHING.
godnose

Post by godnose »

anneporter wrote:Let the debaters analyze and argue to their hearts' content.... Aesthetically, I prefer "Came so far for beauty."
Agreed, for the inscription "Came so far for beauty" is more suitable. There's no disrespect to the song at all. Without the "I" it has more gravitas and personality as a non-standard sentence. It is, after all, the song title. The pronoun is not necessary. It is more enigmatic and open to interpretation without it.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

How about:

...came so far for beauty...

The ellipses at both ends leaves it vague, and lets people interpret it as they wish. That way, each person who sees/sits on the bench can decide if it should be preceded by I, You, We, They, He... whatever fits their circumstance, frame of mind, etc. And then, leaving it open at the end refrains from implying that they have "arrived" at their destination, but rather, that the quest for beauty is (or can be) ongoing.

I would also suggest that the words be carved in a nice clear script style, rather than something dull such as this font.
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I like your idea for an inscription Lisa. I think also to have it engraved, rather than a plaque, would be the best way to go.
I certainly will contribute to this 80th Birthday project.
Last edited by Cheshire gal on Sun May 04, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
surrender

Post by surrender »

Alethea wrote:
Alethea, YOU think that a title without a poem is nothing, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's the case.

I like both lines, nevertheless my feeling is that the omission of "I" is images/thoughts inspiring, evoking the universal mystery of longing and human quest.

Jarmila
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
mutti

Post by mutti »

I am fine with both but my personal preference is Came so far for beauty…
Do we have an alternative if the cost is prohibitive and we can't raise enough money?
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

My head is swimming after reading all the remarks and reasons for and against the inclusion or exclusion of one word! Personally, either is fine with me. Love the idea of the bench and the location, and of course when all is finalized, I will be thrilled to contribute. A very special birthday!

Diana
daka

Post by daka »

I have many suggestions, forgive my verbosity. Forgive me also if one of these was mentioned earlier .

Regarding the suggestion of trees in Israel we need to remember Leonard's stated wish that the Palestinians be included generally in affairs over there; maybe for each tree in Israel one planted in Palestine would work better for Leonard, and for Palestinians, and for us.

Probably my favorite words of Leonard are: "There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
Maybe if we could have a crack sculpted into a stone bench there would be no need for any words?...Or maybe simply the words "There is a / in everything" with the actual crack in the middle of the words.

Another lateral-thinking idea would be for everybody who has given up smoking to have a cigarette in his honor that day (Just One!!) For me it has been 32 years and I am a long way from 80 but if I did this i might feel a special connection with Leonard.

Another idea would be to create a a “special place” in perpetuity, a holy catecomb receptacle for admirers, celebrants, those alive and those unborn, those who wish to write/read a poem, a comment, a letter, a novel, dedicated to Lama Leonard, a “special place” that would function for as long as tekno-time exists; we could host it in the Forum members Poetry section, or possibly create a separate blog (maybe managed by the Leonard Cohen Forum) that would allow and encourage comments.... it would cost nothing and may produce some interesting work. BUT!!! I think I may just be describing the inevitable organic function of this forum :)

Actually my serious suggestion is that one thread be started soon and ended on Leonard's birthday where poeple can offer their written gifts/poems, songs, prose, letters expressing their appreciation for Leonard's life and work.
I wrote these lyrics for a song a few days ago, with this 80 th birthday theme in mind: (no music yet)

Leonard sing me a song again

Leonard sing me a song again,
Before your life is over
Before you leave the stage and dive
Like a swan, below the clover
Before you reap the seeds you sowed
The wild world over
In bawdry nights
Inside bodegas
Between the alphas
And the omegas

Leonard listen to a few,
Of my songs before you go
I've listened to yours since sixty eight
And now it's getting late
Ukulele days are numbered now
I finally found my key
I'd like to know, before I go,
You listened once to me

Sean
If you become the ocean you will not become seasick....Jikan (aka Leonard Cohen)

It's comin' from the feel that this ain't exactly real, or it's real, but it ain't exactly there! . Jikan
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Alethea wrote:The title is a code for how to locate the song on the recording or set list. When a writer is quoted, it is from the body of his/her work.

I would argue in this case, the title without the poem is not “nothing”; it is clearly something, in that it is a reference to Leonard’s poem/song itself, which actually has that title. Besides, as has been pointed out already, as such, it can be more expansively considered, whether literally or metaphorically, regarding whomever/whatever.

So saying, I’m more supportive of the shortened “Came So Far for Beauty”. Nevertheless, I would settle for and accept the majority opinion, even if it was to include the “I”. I don’t think it needs to become a divisive or insurmountable issue... and, hopefully, it won’t. ;-)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

ladydi wrote:My head is swimming after reading all the remarks and reasons for and against the inclusion or exclusion of one word!
Diana
Agreed.
Jarkko, you are in a position to ask L.Cohen which wording he favours. We are not.
Why not do so?

(you have already helpfully suggested that LC would not welcome memorials in Montreal, so why not just ask LC what HE would like?)
Ring the bells that still can ring...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Is it called "synchronicity" in situations like this? This same idea occurred to me today, too, Athnuachan, but too late to do anything but agree with its merit.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

daka wrote:Actually my serious suggestion is that one thread be started soon and ended on Leonard's birthday where people can offer their written gifts/poems, songs, prose, letters expressing their appreciation for Leonard's life and work.
I like this idea best of all (of course, Jarkko always starts a birthday thread that serves this purpose quite well, so this will happen again this year, I am sure). As well, if people feel that they also want to donate to a particular cause/charity, plant a tree, volunteer, etc, in honour of Leonard, they could say what they did in a birthday thread, so that Leonard would know when he reads the thread. That way, there is no specific price tag attached, nobody will be left out if they can't pay their cut of a bench, or whatever. I understand that people want something bigger, more lasting, more visible, etc, but is that really meaningful (and, to whom?).
daka

Post by daka »

Well, until Jarkko establshes that new thread I may have to keep putting my offerings on this table-thread for Lama Leonard.

Dear Leonard

I gave up smoking in 1982
and it very nearly killed me
to quit,
but
on September 21st
I will
smoke a cigarette with you,
play my ukulele too.

Before I imbibe
I will be sure
to meditate;
The Chateau Latour can wait
with the duMaurier on a plate.
These arrangements will be easy
but the nurse-assistant
may be costly;
especially if she's somewhat naughty.
(I never gave up nurses)

Sean
If you become the ocean you will not become seasick....Jikan (aka Leonard Cohen)

It's comin' from the feel that this ain't exactly real, or it's real, but it ain't exactly there! . Jikan
Dem

Post by Dem »

I like how we have started already
a debate if we will write "I came so far for beauty"
or just "Came so far for beauty"
when the bench is as of yet
just thin air :-)

I prefer the "Came so far for beauty"
(I am always for the minimal) but for
the life of me I don't see how anybody
who will read on a bench in Hydra the inscription:

"Came so far for beauty" - Leonard Cohen etc

will understand something different from:

"I came so far for beauty" - Leonard Cohen etc

PS) And actually if the official Leonard Cohen site
has it right we must write:

"I came so far for beauty left"

so much behind
My patience and my family
My masterpiece unsigned
[...]

http://www.leonardcohen.com/us/music/re ... far-beauty

Dem
Athens 2008, Prague 2009, Paris 2012
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

The idea of the bench on Hydra seems to be a very good. I can not help much (in addition to participating in expenses), but I support a wonderful talented friends in our circle of fans :)
I greet all, Beata
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”