How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
Cheshire gal

Re: How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

Post by Cheshire gal »

I rather like the idea of a commemorative plaque in the parc du Portugal (maybe it could be re-christened Leonard Cohen Park) but think a scholarship for aspiring poets at McGill would be great also. I would certainly support any proposal made.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
holydove

Post by holydove »

A communal contribution to the Fund for Reconciliation, Tolerance & Peace, which Leonard created in 2009, might make him happy. Here is a link to the fund's website:

http://thefundfor.org/
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

My idea for celebrating Leonard’s 80th Birthday is a development of a couple of earlier suggestions. It is something that I think Leonard would really appreciate, but not be too embarrassed or conflicted by, and one that would be a very personal and genuine tribute from us fans.

What I’m thinking of would not be too difficult in these high tech days: we could make an 80 minute DVD compilation of 1 minute fan tributes to Leonard. This could simply be done by using a smart phone video recorder. (Using my son's iPhone, I did a 5 minute video of him addressing a panel for a funding application and it came out very clearly.) All that would be needed then would be for someone like Wijbe (our video compilation master) to put it all together with suitable graphics and music etc. This could then be presented to Leonard by Jarkko, on our behalf.

In terms of deciding who got to do the 1 minute tributes, it could be done by a lottery system. So that if say more than 80 Forum members were keen to do this, it could be decided by taking the first 80 nominees (or even just by a simple lottery strategy). Alternatively, if we want to represent the wide spread of international fans, we could do this by ensuring the 80 video clips covered all the countries video nominees from the Forum are from. So, in round figures, if there were Forum members representing say 40 separate countries nominating, you would take the first two from each country. However, if there were less than 40 represented, you would have two per country, then a lottery to make up the balance, with 3 nominees from the countries whose names were then drawn out. If there were more than 40 to be represented, you would have one per country, again with a lottery to determine which countries got the 2 nominees’ tributes.

Why I think this is worthy of consideration, is that it avoids particular communities/locations being favoured over others, is something we all can “own” (emotionally and literally), and yet would be fairly inexpensive to produce (I would guess).

However, being my own critic, I have to admit these video clips could become quite repetitive I guess, unless each strived to make it as interesting as possible. ;-)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

This is going to be tough. I like Cheshire gal's ideas, too.
And holydove's!
And sturgess's... and now I'm about to read Andrew's
I give up!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Okay. For me, personally, I think your idea is a good one, Andrew; and it has our personal touch; however, once viewed, it would be unlikely to be reviewed very many more times. Every year, we all get to express our sentiments in writing... and in person, many have done the same when they've met him. One year, we did the collage of photos of us, and I suspect that's not displayed anywhere in his home [and it was my suggestion ;-) ].

With this being a landmark birthday, to which Leonard has been referring repeatedly, my preference is for something that will be truly lasting and/or visible to the world for decades and will have undeniable class and by implication be inclusive of everyone. So, even though I can't settle on which one[s] of those mentioned previously [including the links provided by mutti], I prefer something on a larger scale.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

lizzytysh wrote:With this being a landmark birthday, to which Leonard has been referring repeatedly, my preference is for something that will be truly lasting and/or visible to the world for decades and will have undeniable class and by implication be inclusive of everyone. So, even though I can't settle on which one[s] of those mentioned previously [including the links provided by mutti], I prefer something on a larger scale.
Well, then, how about a life-sized bronze statue of Leonard in the Parc du Portugal?
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

I just remembered the Poets Chairs - he has a "chair" in Quebec - sculpture by Michael Goulet.

Here's the thread -
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29181&hilit=chair+quebec
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

All of you have contributed some absolutely lovely, creative and inspiring ideas. This is a brainstorming process so don't be afraid to suggest something that may seem a bit of a stretch. Even if your idea isn't workable, it may contain a kernel of inspiration that can be combined with someone else's idea to create the perfect birthday gift.

Now, while I say that, over the next couple of days, Jarkko and I are going to be writing about some of the constraints we operate under as we all strive to decide on our gift.

Funding. We are limited in the amount of funds we are going to be able to raise. We know that Leonard was supported by the Canada Council during his early writing years and he donated his $50,000 Glen Gould Prize money to them. So, the Canada Council would definitely seem an appropriate organization for a donation. However, if you look at the links that Linda posted, almost all the conditional donations, where the money donated funds a particular award named after an individual, are in amounts considerably more than we could raise. These prizes are generally funded by bequests and endowments. Plus, according to the site, administrative costs are deducted from the amount donated (peer assessment, publicity and presentation costs). Unfortunately, I fear any conditional donation we would make for a prize named after Leonard would be eaten up by administrative costs. This doesn't preclude a donation made for "general purposes." So, this is an idea to consider.

A gift that is "lasting" (as Lizzy suggests) would be ideal. It would be wonderful to show our respect for Leonard with a gift that would remind others of his legacy for years to come. The Chelsea Hotel plaque does this. But for now, let's continue the brainstorming.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

What about looking into the possibility of having a special Canadian coin minted to celebrate Leonard as one of Canada's most important artists.

M
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

Mabeanie1 wrote:....

Maybe just a crazy dream - or maybe someone else has already thought of it?

Wendy
Wendy, I'm with you and: the Idea with the Cigarette, as he describe it at some Concerts at "Anyhow" should be included in a way... I'm pretty sure, that some former Band-Member or even the actual band-members would be highly interesting in this... but who can organize a big, huge thing like this? That will be the point at the end... and, remember: Time goes by so fast and most of them will have bookings or something...
But it would be THE IDEAL IDEA for me!!

Uwe + Susanne, Switzerland
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Great to see that we have got so many excellent suggestions in this thread!

Many of those would be useful if we didn’t have limited time and finances at our disposal. For instance we are a year or two late with the official commemorative coin.

With this kind of projects, it is also extremely important to make sure that the recipient would like the gift, and be positively surprised. We have been informed that the suggested Parc du Portugal etc. projects in Montreal would not come up to these requirements.

Marie and I believe that Leonard treasures his low profile in his Montreal neighborhood and we wouldn't want to do anything to shine a spotlight on him there.

With this in mind, let’s keep our brainstorming going!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
LC&LC

Post by LC&LC »

One tiny thing we could do to bounce on the idea of a photo and of the cigarettes... is to have a photo taken of all the ladies attending the event in Dublin dressed in white, wearing white stockings, wearing a nurse's hat holding a pack of du Maurier...
that appart from another present of course
2009: Paris, Nimes, Barcelona, 2010: Caen, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Las Vegas, 2012: Ghent x2, London, Verona, Paris x3, Barcelona, Madrid, NYC, Brooklyn, 2013: NYCx2, Paris, London, Brussels, Rome, Lucca, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula, Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney Opera House
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

I've been thinking of Leonard's humility plus his care for local issues (eg when touring in Australia, he gave a donation to help temper the effect of the raging fires).
I wonder if we could arrange something worldwide which does not scream out in flashing light, yet something that would benefit the planet - ie everyone on earth - forever (as far as 'forever' is).
Trees seem a beautiful answer to me. "a gift that keeps on giving". Cleansing. Healing. Growing. Highlighting the importance of The Breath.
How about everyone interested everywhere bought a tree in Leonard's memory?
Just Google "plant a memorial tree" and local lists turn up - or plant a tree in whatever country you'd like.
A list of trees could be collated (... by someone ...) for Leonard to show how his gift covers/clasps the world. Something almost invisible yet something crucial/essential and strong.
.... So, instead of buying a concert programme or t-shirt in 2014, buy a tree (or two) for Leonard to bring healing?
A.Sukitu
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
sarsina

Post by sarsina »

I was so fond of what Leonard said about his Spanish guitar, when he received the Prince of Asturias Prize ! So I kept on dreaming of a special instrument. But there again, we are at least one year late, if some craftman has to make a special 80th birthday guitar !

Then, I love the way A.Sukitu states it : instead of spending for fan stuff at a concert, this year we buy trees. I've already begun searching what kind of wood guitars are made of : if a plant a memorial tree, I want it to be such a tree (see e.g. http://www.guitarristas.info/foros/guia ... arras/3662)

I guess every fan secretly wanted to be that one nurse... so I like the idea of the picture of every lady dressed as a nurse. Although I am conscious it rules me out, because 1° I'm not coming to Dublin 2° the colour of the stockings : they have to be white, right ? But my name is Nancy... ;-)
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

How about an engraved fixed guitar installation placed against that tree at Douskos taverna on Hydra?

Given the conservation nature of the island though that may be problematic, as well as intrusive in terms of the utility of the tree.

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”