any Cohen song you DONT like!?!?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
zaida

any Cohen song you DONT like!?!?

Post by zaida »

I know, this is controversial, and seems impossible! But I have to secretly admit, Ive never liked The Old Revolution....and I actually feel guilty, lol!
TonVH

Re: any Cohen song you DONT like!?!?

Post by TonVH »

I really hate Jazz police.
godnose

Post by godnose »

I like The Old Revolution, took me a few listens but I had it on regular rotation a few years ago.

Not a big fan of Jazz Police either. A couple like Be For Real and Always on The Future (both not written by Cohen) I don't really like. Everything else is absolutely brilliant. He doesn't compromise on a song and it really shows. Haven't listened enough to Recent Songs, Dear Heather, Old Ideas enough to say just yet.
Cate

Post by Cate »

Avalanche makes me feel anxious in an uncomfortable and unpleasant way. I don't like it.
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

I've never liked On That Day.
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
B4real

Post by B4real »

Cate, Avalanche is one of my very favourite LC songs! Interesting, isn't it? I find every single line irresistible!

Mary, On That Day is also probably my least preferred song.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

The Butcher. I just can't listen to it. If it comes on my iPod I move on to the next song as soon as possible.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I really do not like 'The Storeroom' and also 'The Ballard Of The Absent Mare'. Love 'Avalanche' and 'Jazz Police'.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
godnose

Post by godnose »

friscogrl wrote:The Butcher. I just can't listen to it. If it comes on my iPod I move on to the next song as soon as possible.

Marsha
Interesting, I did that for about 2 years and then I was listening whilst cycling in London late at night and it came on my iPod and I couldn't change it (I know, a bit dangerous :( ). It finally hit me. I got the song, the melody, everything. I can still remember the street I was on in Bloomsbury. It's now a favourite of mine.

On another note: Avalanche is great! Liked it first time.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

"Don't Go Home with Your Hard On." Next on the list woud be "Fingerprints" (cute lyrics, but that country two-step grates on my nerves!), and then the rest of the Death of a Ladies Man album would follow.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

"On That Day" is my least favourite song. I presume the idea of the song was that 9/11 left Leonard speechless or rather without anything to say. However, if that was the case, I wonder why he bothered to sing about it at all, especially on an album - given the timeless nature of his work. "Dear Heather" is definitely my least favourite album (though I like "Go No More a Roving", "Nightingale and the Faith").

Otherwise, I like virtually everything, included "Jazz Police" and the "Death of a Ladies Man" album. I can understand why some people would not like these, but it amazes me that "Avalanche" and "Ballad of the Absent Mare" are disliked by some, as I would consider these two songs to be top ten favourites.
holydove

Post by holydove »

John Etherington wrote:"On That Day" is my least favourite song. I presume the idea of the song was that 9/11 left Leonard speechless or rather without anything to say. However, if that was the case, I wonder why he bothered to sing about it at all, especially on an album - given the timeless nature of his work.
John, I beg to differ. I think Leonard said alot about 9/11 in the song. It's interesting that the 3 people who said they don't like the song, are not from NY, & I wonder if that makes the song more difficult to relate to. I am from NY, had lived there most of my life, & was still living there at the time. For many days, maybe even weeks, I could smell the smoke from my bedroom window every morning, even though I lived in a borough (Brooklyn) across the river from the World Trade Center. I had a friend/colleague whose 4 roommates were all killed (they were firefighters who had gone there to help), & a friend/colleague whose son was killed; & there was a 9 year old student in the school where I worked whose mother was killed - it goes on & on. . .

Anyway, regarding the song & what Leonard said in terms of the lyrics: he expresses the questions many people were pondering, regarding why this happened, e.g.: did we deserve it, have we done things which provoked it, do they have valid reasons to hate us so much, how far back does the hatred go; are we a criminal, sinful, godless society, etc., etc. . .And his answer, "I wouldn't know. . .", is entirely appropriate - nobody knew exactly how to answer these questions. Yes, America has done many awful things, but does that justify terrorism - does anything justify terrorism? There is no question that New York was greatly wounded by the event - for a long time, for most people I knew, it seemed unimaginable to be able to go on with life as usual - people walked around mimicking the activities of normal life, because we had no choice, but the entire city was traumatized beyond comprehension. And most importantly, the question Leonard asks: "did you go crazy, or did you report" - this is beautiful, & IMO, this is the perfect question to ask - regardless of one's political position, Leonard's directive is to look at your own personal reaction - did you totally fall apart or did you maintain some semblance of sanity? Alot of people went "crazy" on various levels - "crazy" can be interpreted various ways, including, perhaps, giving in to one's own murderous instincts, & saying something like, "we should bomb the hell out of them" (I heard some people saying that kind of thing); one can also go crazy by succumbing to suicidal instincts, which some people also, unfortunately, did. And then there are all the forms of "crazy" between murder & suicide. But maintaining one's sanity in an atmosphere of utter chaos is the most difficult thing, & that's how I interpret the phrase, "or did you report", in the song. Sanity can also manifest in various ways, including offering some kind of help to those in need, thinking rationally, responding with compassion even for those who have caused immense destruction & murdered loved ones, etc. . .Look at yourself. That is the main directive of every spiritual path, & seeing how you respond, within your own mind & heart, in a situation of utter chaos, is the clearest reflection of where you are at. And that is the timeless aspect - though the seed for the song is 9/11, the question Leonard asks - "did you go crazy or did you report" - is really the heart of the song, & it can be applied to any scene of destruction/chaos - & I don't think there is ever a shortage of such scenes in this world.

I also think the musicality of the song is wonderful - the melody, the harmonies, the keyboard, Leonard's voice - all evoke a solemnity of mood with great elegance, depth & sensitivity. And the mouth harp beautifully reflects the spooky craziness & chaos that pervaded everywhere - on that day, & beyond. . .
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Thanks for that post Rachel !

David
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

I don't hate it, but the only song which routinely gets a FF from me is one which I've also never heard anyone call out in request at a show:

Dear Heather
godnose

Post by godnose »

LisaLCFan wrote:"Don't Go Home with Your Hard On." Next on the list woud be "Fingerprints" (cute lyrics, but that country two-step grates on my nerves!), and then the rest of the Death of a Ladies Man album would follow.
Ah, I love the whole album! The first time I heard it it was strange, sounded syruppy and cluttered. Once I listened to the tracks I picked out the lyrics and got a handle on the production I really liked it. Really love Fingerprints, and Don't Go Home With Your Hard On was the first track I liked on that album funnily enough. Took my a while with Paper-thin Hotel and Left a Woman Waiting, but now I love them too!

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”