LC Walking Weekend (2009 - 2017)

Everything about our biennial Walking Weekends in just one record-long thread!
liverpoolken

Re: LC Walking Weekend (2009, 2011, 2013)

Post by liverpoolken »

thank you diane..our much loved and respected organiser of the very first walking weekend and fountain of wisdom and good sense...'where thou wouldst walk so shall we follow'

so let's not forget that amongst all the jolly japery and jovial shenanigans we must not forget to listen to the more experienced walkers in our group about the possible dangers and health and safety issues that may crop up over the weekend

..otherwise we don't want incidents like this to happen...or do we?......ta ken
burren final2.jpg
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

good morning joe...

have you seen the pete's question about the walks on friday..?

i guess the walks and other activities on thursday and saturday are self-explanatory

but do you know how long in kms. the walk on the burren will be? ....will the visit to the caves be part of the burren walk or will we be climbing back in the bus after the walk on the burren to take us to the caves and again when we head to doolin for the ferry...?

hope you don't mind the third degree but it is just some folk like to know beforehand what walks they will be able to manage....

and one more question is it true they don't sell draught guinness in galway or is that just a rumour spread by those auld dubs....ta ken
Travelingladiesman

Post by Travelingladiesman »

Hello Pete/Ken,

The Burren walk will be only be for an hour as we have a lot on that day and have to be in Doolin for the ferry @ 1pm.
We will have a lot of our group who will not be walking and will stay on the bus while the walkers catch up.
The burren walk will be easy and will be no more than 4 miles. We have the best Guinness in Galway. 8)

Joe.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

thanks for the quick reply joe.....that's sorted then

good news on the guinness front...i should know better never to trust those dublin jackeens....

now all we need is for jarkko's grandchild to be born on schedule and to hope that pete leaves his sandals at home this year and brings a proper pair of shoes so he has no excuse for not walking the burren with us....ta ken
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

memory lane time....

...i was in very good company in 2007 the last time we took the boat out to the cliffs of moher...and this time we will have the beautiful anne with us.....ta ken
9.jpg
Pete

Post by Pete »

liverpoolken wrote:thanks for the quick reply joe.....that's sorted then

now all we need is for jarkko's grandchild to be born on schedule and to hope that pete leaves his sandals at home this year and brings a proper pair of shoes so he has no excuse for not walking the burren with us....ta ken
Thanks Ken and Joe - it's all making sense now :) Regarding my sandals- .....because they seemed to have mentally scarred Ken for life I will leave them at home. I do have another identical pair (because I think they're brill) which i could bring but I think it wise not to do so for fear of being exiled for eternity.
I have 3 pairs of proper shoes (trainers, actually) to choose from - my light black ones, my heavy grey ones and my medium brown ones. None of them look like sandals but I could cut some holes in them to replicate the appearance thereof. I'm tending to go for my brown ones as they are the most comfortable, but then again the black ones are quite comfortable but not as pleasing on the eye. The grey ones mustn't be overlooked but because I haven't worn them much they need bedding in - they'd probably give me blisters after half a kilometre. Decisions, decisions.
I'll be travelling light. I'm doing rail and sail setting off from Matlock early Wednesday (that's the rail bit!) and getting into Dublin from Holyhead late afternoon (that's the sail bit). Dublin to Galway doesn't look far on my little pocket map so I'll probably walk that bit. See you all in Galway!
Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

OMG i've just wet meself laughing....i'm speechless...but glad i mentioned the sandals...ta ken
Pete

Post by Pete »

I forgot to say that I won't be in Galway until the Thursday - not because I'm walking the last leg but because I'm staying over in Dun Laoghaire Wednesday night.
I have my Rail and sail tickets for Matlock to Dublin return - all sorted by Stena Line. The Stena Lady was very helpful on the phone - I had to explain where Matlock was though and which zone it was in. I tried to move it to zone A so as to get a cheaper ticket but I couldn't fool her.
I have my euros..... I think 19 of them should be enough for 5 days in ireland. I've done my calculations.
I have my EHIC medical card in case I slip on the Burren walk in my sandals - oops, I mean brown walking boots
I have my b+b sorted - I think Paula is in the same one so I'll follow her - unless she's following me.
I have a spare pair of socks.
I think that's me sorted.

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

the final painting in my 'elderly german with something on his head' series and the only one that didn't find a buyer..i think it could have been the title that put folk off...so maybe i'll bring it over to galway as a gift for my muse 'the elderly german'

ta ken
sunset2.jpg
Paula

Post by Paula »

It is a good job you mentioned B&B’s Pete I had totally forgotten who I had booked with. I have found it now and it has the longitude and latitude on the booking, bit worrying!
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Judy

Post by Judy »

Hello Paula and Pete ... what's worrying about the B&B? My sister, Liz and I have booked there too :shock:
Paula

Post by Paula »

Oh good Judy I will follow you. I just have visions of cows and other country creatures being the only inhabitants around. What time are you getting to Dublin airport I arrived, fingers crossed as I am flying Ryanair, at 11 on Thursday.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Judy

Post by Judy »

Well, we can all follow Liz 8) :D ... I arrive Ryanair from Beauvais at about 1 o'clock and Liz from Manchester arrives earlier but will wait. Margaret should be arriving quite early too. I haven't checked out the bus timetable yet ...
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi Paula, Judy and Liz
I'm presuming we're all at the Copper Beech :)
I believe the latitude and longtitude are given to help motorists using sat nav - there's no post codes in Ireland.
I think it's only 10 minutes walk from the city centre - I think I can manage that.
We won't need Bear Grylls to guide us - I'll lead the the way...... 8)
Looking froward to seeing you all again - it's been a long time!

pete
Judy

Post by Judy »

Looking forward to seeing you again Pete ... "ouuf" re guiding the way, thank you :D and the 10 minutes walk should be OK too ...

Return to “Walking Weekends (2009 - 2023)”