Help with Last Wish of Terminally Ill Gentleman

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
honeyrosefoundation

Help with Last Wish of Terminally Ill Gentleman

Post by honeyrosefoundation »

We are a charity based in the UK that grants special wishes to terminally ill adults and need your help.

We have received a request from the daughter of a gentleman (Mike) from Leeds who has an aggressive type of prostate cancer with poor prognosis (a few weeks left to live). Mikes daughter has just contacted our charity hoping we would be able to help arrange for him to meet his hero Leonard Cohen. Mike already has tickets to see Leonard in Leeds on the 7th September. We have contact details: rkory@koryrice.com & mrice@koryrice.com which we believe are his management but would like to ensure that they are correct. Could someone please confirm if they are the correct addresses?

Thank you!

Jay
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Help with Last Wish of Terminally Ill Gentleman

Post by jarkko »

The addresses are correct; use the first one.
Unfortunately the tour management receives so many requests that usually it is not possible to make them happen.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

Jarkko has the power to delete the thread, and he chose not to. And I have every confidence in Mr. Kory's ability to respond appropriately to such requests. It's one of the things that management does. If there are any forum members who read this and are moved to offer up in their hearts a prayer or a good wish or a kind thought for a dying man, then the thread will have been of some use to somebody.
James T

Post by James T »

I hope this works out, somehow. All the best to the guy, hope he has a great evening regardless of whether he gets to meet Mr Cohen or not. I know for me, meeting Leonard was a fantastic occasion and really filled me with joy. If that can happen for someone in a terrible position like this, I hope it works out. I won't get into what way is best to go about it, but sometimes someone just wants to do something good for someone and tries however they can.
kenpal

Post by kenpal »

.....echoing your sentiments there(James T)....feelings well expressed - Kenpal
Paula

Post by Paula »

Mike I hope you get your wish. And Mike's daughter I wish you strength. xxx
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You'll never know unless you ask, so Mike's loving daughter did the one thing she could to try to make her Dad happy at a very unhappy time for them both.
And, Jay brought it to us here.
I'm hoping for a positive outcome on this heartfelt request.
My very best to Mike and his daughter.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mirka

Post by mirka »

I hope that management doesn't receive many requests from terminally ill fans and that Mike and his daughter get to see LC in person.
Wishing both of them strength.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I echo your posting, mirka.
~ Oscar Wilde
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

I presume the underlying intention of posting here was the hope that Jarkko would contact Leonard direct with the request.

While such generosity with his time is of course always Leonard's prerogative, the sender must have been most concerned that the message simply might not get through to him before the concert. So I do hope Jarkko has taken the hint and at least cut through the management red-tape by informing Leonard direct.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
mirka

Post by mirka »

I also hope we get to know the outcome of this request.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

I hope that, if the request could be honored, it was. While I too am curious, I would rather not see what transpired publicized here in the interests of privacy for all concerned. Just my personal opinion.
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

As much as I would like to know, too, I agree with you, its4inthemorning.
Your reasoning is sound.
If this man were so blessed as to have it happen, it's too easy to develop into a "Why him, and not [whomever] ?"
~ Oscar Wilde
mirka

Post by mirka »

It's not about my personal curiosity. I feel that b/c the plea was made public, the outcome could be public as well -- just as a closure to another bittersweet piece of life. I don't believe (and certainly hope) there could be more cases like this.
Feel awfully sorry for the ill fan and his daugther, again.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

mirka wrote:
I don't believe (and certainly hope) there could be more cases like this.
Unfortunately, if you look at Leonard's Facebook page there is probably one of these requests at least once a week. There was one made Sunday, in fact. Not to mention all the requests for some acknowledgement during a concert of the birthday of a parent or spouse or the anniversary of parents.

I make no judgment of the request here, but this is one of the reasons that organizations like Make-A-Wish Foundation and Dream Foundation were formed.
Marie
Speaking Cohen

Return to “Comments & Questions”