Male Sensibility and Experience

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Steven

Male Sensibility and Experience

Post by Steven »

Hi,

Which songs do you feel are most strongly representative of male sensibility and experience?
HelenOE

Re: Male Sensibility and Experience

Post by HelenOE »

I'd say "Don't go home with your hard-on" but that would be too easy. :roll:

I don't think male sensibility & experience is a unitary thing... all of Leonard Cohen's work represents his own sensibility and experience at some level (he's a poet, not a reporter) so all of it reflects facets of one male's sensibility & experience.

But if you want specifics (and yes I feel silly answering this post as a woman) how about:
I stumbled out of bed
I got ready for the struggle
I smoked a cigarette
And I tightened up my gut
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Or how about

"You handled me like meat.
Only a man knows how good it feels."
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
abby

Post by abby »

My first lover's favorite song of Leonard's was Tonight Will Be Fine, which has since seemed like a manly sentiment to me. I fear saying too much will perpetuate the myth that sex always has an emotional element for women, a myth I promise! Nevertheless, it's as a woman that I respond to the song- I suspect that nothing's ever quite what's meant by 'fine' for me. :)
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

And how about

The beast won't go to sleep.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Steven,

Why is it the only responses you have received are from women :roll: :lol:
Hartmut

Re: AW: Male Sensibility and Experience

Post by Hartmut »

Because we men are too sensible and experienced to answer questions such as this ...
HelenOE

Re: AW: Male Sensibility and Experience

Post by HelenOE »

Hartmut wrote:Because we men are too sensible and experienced to answer questions such as this ...
:lol: That answer works for me!
Steven

Post by Steven »

MaryB wrote:Steven,

Why is it the only responses you have received are from women :roll: :lol:
Hi MaryB,

Way too small a number of responders to conjecture as to why there's a 100% female response base. :)
Generally, though, men are more reluctant than women to speak much about the kind of stuff that
may be connected to the subject of the thread (and some Leonard Cohen songs).
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

I had a hard time getting my head around what male sensibility is. Gender surely is a social construct that changes over place and time? What it means to be a man is always in flux. These qualities we call gender seem distributed across both sexes. I love it when people are not tyrannised by these constructs and I hate it when we are divided by these rigid ideas of what men and women should be. Emotion, horniness, longing, loneliness, vulnerability, tenderness, anger, detachment... they are all there in the songs in some measure ~ How should we assign a gender sensibility to them?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi Jonnie,

Yes, gender (as a social construct) changes (or can change) over time. More resistant to change are some
gender based distinctions caused by biology (hormones, etc.). I like that you identified some of the
qualities found in the songs. "Rigid ideas" that are imposed on people sometimes result in disconnects
that limit happiness, creativity, etc.
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

Hi Steven,

I'm still left wondering which gender based distinctions caused by biology would constitute a male sensibility? (I mean I understand there are some biological sex based distinctions.. genitalia, reproductive capacity, facial hair, fat distribution etc.)
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

I've read somewhere that males are genetically more inclined to, er, cross pollination. Historically, it's certainly been less costly.

I read the article a while back so scientific theories may have shifted.

I'm Your Man would seem an obvious choice.....if it weren't for the fact that Anna Calvi, a woman, has since recorded a song called I'll Be Your Man.

Dress Rehearsal Rag seems to have a masculine bent. Shaving, santa claus, suicide etc.
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

I'm Your Man doesn't really illustrate what most are hinting male sensibility is since it's about weakness and vulnerability. The male is not the one holding the cards in this little power play.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi Jonnie,

I was thinking of testosterone, especially. It's usually found in higher amounts in men and is linked to
traditional frames of male sensibility that include expressions of aggressiveness, dominance, and competitiveness.
Was also thinking of some research that points to gender-based brain diffferences that could account, in part, for what is reported to be some greater verbal ability in adult women over men. My personal guess is that culture has a larger role
than brain differences in any variance in verbal ability between the sexes. I'm no expert on any of this.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”