Leonard Lyrics Day

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Leonard Lyrics

Leonard Lyrics Day

Post by Leonard Lyrics »

If you are reading this, you are likely very fond of Leonard Cohen's song lyrics. It is also quite likely that you have used Leonard's lyrics in your conversations in the past-- Who among us hasn't said "Waiting for the miracle" in regards to a certain situation, or jokingly surprised a loved one with "Busted in the blinding lights!"? Surely many of us have said "I'm your man" or even the more uncommon lines, such as "And your legs all white from the winter."

Leonard Lyric Day got it's start with my friend and I deciding to take an entire day at work and attempt to talk and respond with only Leonard lyrics. We weren't able to stick entirely to a Leonard-only dialogue, but were quite successful at inserting his lyrics into all sorts of conversations. We had a wonderfully fun time doing it-- Alexandra Leaving was especially entertaining and had us laughing: "Do not stoop to strategies like this"-- to a questioning co-worker; "Do not choose a coward's explanation" to another who was trying to get out of something he did. And of course, such lines as "I've seen the future, baby" and "If I, if I have been unkind, I hope that you can just let it go by" are always useful.

Once you start looking, there are dozens of situations every day into which you can insert Leonard's Lyrics and it seems that the treasure trove of lyrics at LeonardCohenFiles is simply waiting for you to spread the wealth around.

You are hereby invited to participate in Leonard Lyric Day, which takes places on the 21st of each month. On this day each month, participants will purposely intersperse Leonard Cohen's lyrics into their daily conversations, thereby spreading the wonderful words Mr. Cohen has written and honoring the man.

Why the 21st of each month? Because each year on September 21, we will have International Leonard Lyric Day, which will consist of a concerted effort to "spread the word" about Leonard to all people we meet and in this way wish him a very happy birthday.

Won't you join us, friends?
comehealing

Re: Leonard Lyrics Day

Post by comehealing »

Marvellous.

And how fitting that the 21st of September is also the
International Day of Peace : )
Alexis
"Who, being loved, is poor?"
(Oscar Wilde)
"That love is all there is" (Emily Dickinson)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)
anny

Post by anny »

great idea and happy to join - (will be fun on the 21st)

is it supposed to have leonard lyrics conversations all over the forum and/or post
earlier leonard lyrics conversations on this thread ?
Leonard Lyrics

Post by Leonard Lyrics »

Thank you for taking part. :D
anny wrote:
is it supposed to have leonard lyrics conversations all over the forum and/or post
earlier leonard lyrics conversations on this thread ?
We will use Leonard's lyrics to others everywhere we go that day. This includes spreading lyrics in conversations on the internet and especially on the forum! :D
Leonard Lyrics

Post by Leonard Lyrics »

Hope your LLD has gone/is going well.

Feel free to share any situations you've used lyrics today.

I called my Leonard friend and left a message saying "Where are you, golden boy?" I got an early start on it yesterday on the phone with my sister. We were discussing some old family stuff and I said "I'd like to pretend that my father was wrong" :lol: -- it was too out of context so she had no idea what i was talking about-- and I didn't explain it to her. :lol: And of course I've used some of the old favorites-- "Oh, the wind, the wind is blowing" and a couple others.

Have fun. Spread the word(s).
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Everyday is a LLD for me but ones used today include:
1) When a friend on Facebook mentioned a wifi issue and not being able to upload photos I told him I await an Avalanche when he gets them fixed
2) Quoting A Thousand Kisses Deep while at a lake full of unopened lilies to a friend.
3) Seeing a photo of a web on FB, I commented "Your fine spider web"

There are more but not coming to mind right now. A friend and I often quote Leonard's lyrics in conversation and say there is a Leonard lyric for nearly everything.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

And I said to my husband 'the beast won't go to sleep tonight' :oops: :D
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”