URGENT: LONDON AND LEEDS RE-SCHEDULED

A new, growing section for more exciting news
Rodin

Re: URGENT: LONDON AND LEEDS RE-SCHEDULED

Post by Rodin »

As you say you were an apprentice in law in another country.
I wouldn't try to offer legal advice to another country.
Please don't do the same.

I have used the small claims procedure in the UK. It costs £30 and usually the PLC doesn't turn up to contest. The 'little' man wins.
Give it a go guys.
Misunderstood
crystal

Post by crystal »

Thank you Wendy for explaining.
Out of pure interest: does it help? Are there less ticket touts because of this? If so, I will wait patiently for my tickets.
Christel
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

crystal wrote:Thank you Wendy for explaining.
Out of pure interest: does it help? Are there less ticket touts because of this? If so, I will wait patiently for my tickets.
Christel
It makes it harder for them as they only have a few days to get the tickets on to a purchaser. Anything which makes it harder for the touts and scalpers to operate is fine by me. It won't stop the "professional" scalpers who are incredibly organised (one of my US friends describes the UK as the scalping capital of the world ...) but it may go some way towards deterring other would-be ticket touts.

Wendy
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

John Etherington wrote:Leonard's gonna have to think of a damn good opening line for London and Leeds!
I was thinking exactly the same, John!!
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

joyezekiel wrote:
John Etherington wrote:Leonard's gonna have to think of a damn good opening line for London and Leeds!
I was thinking exactly the same, John!!

And no room for doubt that there will be a gracious acknowledgement of the ' disruption' probably just before ' the future' 8)
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

LHHUNTER wrote:I believe LC gave the go-ahead for these original concert dates but has since simply changed his mind and instructed AEG to reschedule.
And yet the AEG email stated in effect that leonard had only learned of the dates on July 1st ,implying his involvement in date selection is ' detatched'.
It states he asked for an immediate change of dates as soon as he knew .I'd like to think he felt 'bad' about that but if true the quick action saved even more inconvenience since every passing day would have seen more people committing money to travel and accommodation plans, so from that perspective one might thank him .

Most ' punters' of course will be local and not inconvenienced too much , and all those who make it will inevitably be rewarded with a great show.
Anyone seriously out of pocket should consider 'small claims' , assuming the small print on the tickets we don't yet have don't contain clauses that protect the promoters and disadvantage the customers .(eg ' reserve the right to change dates etc :!: )
' the poor stay poor , the rich get rich ... that's how it goes .... everybody knows....'
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
gallina

Post by gallina »

Yes, for example I booked ticket, flight and hotel 2 weeks ago...I remember the Verona changing was after 1 week (I checked here on the forum!!).
Now 1 MONTH passed.....getting worst!! What a shame :(
2009 Budapest
2010 Zagreb, Gothenburg, Florence, St. Margarethen, Bratislava, Las Vegas x2

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2012 Ghent x5, Helsinki, Dublin x2, Verona
2013 Roma, Lucca, Vienna, London
2015 Viladrau
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

Rodin, that's not very gracious to someone offering his advice in a very kindly manner. I have said from the start of this thread that people should consider legal action as I think they have a chance in court and certainly out of court. I am not a lawyer but I have limited experience of about a dozen cases in the uk small claims court and a similar number I considered but did not pursue. On several occasions I even took legal advice.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
confetti

Post by confetti »

TommyJ wrote:I now have to explain to a 12 year old that although I promised her a (very, very good) ticket to see Leonard on Saturday 14 September, I can't have her staying up that late on Sunday 15 September given that she has school the next day. It's not a conversation I'm looking forward to, as she will be terribly upset. Of course, I could just go with it and let her be tired the next week at school but I don't think her Mother would see the funny side of that. I was so looking forward to taking her.

It's incredibly annoying. Of course I understand and accept the reasoning, but this could have been anticipated and factored into to the original timing.
Tommy if I were you, I would just take her anyway. This is an opportunity she will probably never have again, one day off school will not ruin her life, seeing Leonard might just change it for the better. I kept my son off school one day and took him to meet Terry Pratchett, his favourite author, he has never forgotten it, and it did him no harm whatsoever. Making memories is what life is all about, you have the chance to give her a memory that will last her whole life.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
stephencharlton

Post by stephencharlton »

gingermop wrote:I don’t often read/comment here but came on to see what the new Leeds date was and I’m surprised at the angry responses.

As someone who works in media I know that it’s the management company and not the artist who arranges the logistics of the tour. The artist is generally not involved in the decisions of where to play or when. Leonard would not have had any part in the decision-making process and would not expect to have to feed back any information about the dates – AEG would just go ahead and create the schedule. Therefore he isn’t at fault when, as stated, he “learned yesterday that two of his U.K. concerts were scheduled on days of solemn religious observance, then respectfully asked AEG to move the dates.”

Yes, AEG should have known and noted the significance of Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, especially since this happened once before. They are at fault. But how can you blame Leonard? Why say it’s unreasonable? Nobody complains when religion informs his songs but complain bitterly when it informs his appearance in person. That’s incongruous in the least, disrespectful at worst.

Several years ago I’d presume the majority of this forum would just be grateful that Leonard was on tour at all, even more so now he’s financially solvent and so not forced to. Yet I hear people complaining now if their seat isn’t in the front rows, or if he doesn’t play a certain song, or if a date is moved for good reason. The tickets have only been on general sale (not pre-sale – another things fans take for granted) for a week or two. Therefore a date change doesn’t affect the majority as it’s been announced far in advance of the gig.

I am sorry that some people have flight and hotel bookings intertwined with the original dates. Perhaps write to the airlines and hotels involved and ask for leeway. But for most of you – frankly, I don’t like your tone.

Gina
Well said Gina, i agree
2008 Manchester
London O2 x3
2009 Berlin
2010 Poland
2012 Belgium
2013 London 02
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

Confetti, honestly speaking, I agree with you. Trouble is, she has seen Leonard 3 times already and met the great man (in Lille in 2009) and my wife feels it's madness putting her to bed at 1.00 when she has to be up at 6.00 at the beginning of a school week. That little domestic "battle" isn't over yet but I think I know where it's heading!

Compared with the losses suffered by others arising from this mess, my concerns are entirely trivial. But I do know she's going to be furious (with me!) if the decision is that she can't go just because of the change of date!
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
bluesaint

Post by bluesaint »

As the newest member of the forum I regret that my first post is one of frustration at the re-scheduling of the 02 and Leeds concerts. My wife and I have tickets for the Leeds concert and were travelling by train from Scotland and spending two nights in Leeds and will now have to pay for a further two nights accommodation. I appreciate that there are many devoted followers of Leonard who have been even more inconvenienced than us and are even more out of pocket than we are and I am amazed at comments to the effect that no one has to travel very far to see a concert with relatively no financial outlay. I have followed Leonard's career since the mid seventies when I first saw him at the Apollo theatre in Glasgow and have seen him at recent concerts at Edinburgh Castle, Birmingham and Liverpool with my wife (a more recent convert to the cause). We are both immensely looking forward to seeing the legend that is Leonard Cohen again (hopefully not for the last time) but there is a tinge of sadness that his many fans have been let down in this manner again,regardless of who is to blame and sincerely hope that he himself realises just how much of an impact this sort of thing has on his many loyal followers.
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

clive cass wrote:Rodin, that's not very gracious to someone offering his advice in a very kindly manner. I have said from the start of this thread that people should consider legal action as I think they have a chance in court and certainly out of court. I am not a lawyer but I have limited experience of about a dozen cases in the uk small claims court and a similar number I considered but did not pursue. On several occasions I even took legal advice.
Presumably when you took advice it was not from an 'apprentice' in law in another country?
Misunderstood
suerussell

Post by suerussell »

Hi bluesaint..
We found ourselves in the same position having booked two nights hotel and train tickets.

We have however found the hotel and lastminute.com to be very helpful, and even though we had bought a deal with no cancellation clause, we have changed thurs and friday nights to friday and saturday at no extra charge. Phew! The train tickets though we have had no luck, so have had to book new ones.

We are only travelling from Durham though, so only £44 down.

We are so looking forward to the concert, so trying to be a glass half full person and be pleased it has not been cancelled altogether. I'm happy!
James-on-tour

Post by James-on-tour »

I think that the whole purpose of a 'Forum' is that we have debate.
This means that everyone has the right to their opinion even if it proves
unpopluar with some and it seems that any perceived Leonard slight is
jumped upon straight away.
I count myself among the legions of fans (London is scheduled to be my
33rd concert) but I think the most annoying thing for most people is that
with a little foresight, the whole fiasco could have been avoided.

I am certainly not comparing this to the huge problems that people face
every day, after all it is a concert that we are talking about but it
is like a small pebble in your shoe that continues to irritate.

As for the opening line - I imagine that no one will care. As soon as L.C.
skips on to the stage the cheers will ring out and any 'apology' will be met by
more cheers .... will I be there to hear them ? ..... most likely ...

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”