Is it becoming slightly stale?

A new, growing section for more exciting news
Hartmut

Re: AW: Is it becoming slightly stale?

Post by Hartmut »

I wish the band would surprise us sometimes by juggling.
Athnuachan

Re: Is it becoming slightly stale?

Post by Athnuachan »

Sure why not? Anything goes nowadays, or at least some audiences seem to think so. Won't be a problem for Rafael, anyway - he already juggles with his drumsticks!
Ring the bells that still can ring...
LHHUNTER

Post by LHHUNTER »

Seems to me that the recent North American tour has been the most boring and predicable in terms of repetition of set lists in LC's entire touring career. I can only hope he has some new idea's up his sleeve when he kicks off in Europe in June. :neutral:
comehealing

Post by comehealing »

Perhaps the new album should be called "New Ideas".... ;-)

Just my personal opinion, but if I saw Len & The Band perform the same set-list, the same encores etc
30,40, 50 times in a row, I don't think that I could get bored. Mainly because the music is so impressive and
the lyrics always yield something new. Guess I subscribe to the view that the thing to be known grows
with the knowing...

And if you are feeling a sense of ennui vis-à-vis the current set-up, there are so many videos
online to refresh the jaded palate. One of my favourite purchases in recent years is footage of the
Isle of Wight concert, 1970. I imagine many on this forum would have been there. Alas, if only but
I was minus 10 at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFRL7DXinGM

Still, eternally grateful to have seen Len perform live since going back on the road in 2008.

Long may the music, magic & poetry flow!
Alexis
"Who, being loved, is poor?"
(Oscar Wilde)
"That love is all there is" (Emily Dickinson)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

LHHUNTER wrote:Seems to me that the recent North American tour has been the most boring and predicable in terms of repetition of set lists in LC's entire touring career. I can only hope he has some new idea's up his sleeve when he kicks off in Europe in June. :neutral:
I was on the front row at the st john new brunswick concert and believe me it wasn 't remotely stale !
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
mutti

Post by mutti »

Re the title of this thread...
Are you kidding? Are you serious?This tour has been the most juicy outstanding amazing performances I have ever experienced! I am serious.
Leonard is better than ever and that is hard to imagine. Don't miss any chance you have to see him live folks...

Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

I totally agree, Leslie. The concerts I have seen on this leg have been simply outstanding and each one different in it's own way. Memphis and Winnipeg were two of the most sublime experiences I've enjoyed since this whole adventure began in 2008. Leonard has gone from strength to strength, and the changes within the band have led to even greater musical variety and perfection. No way is this tour becoming even slightly stale!

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
dari

Post by dari »

No... Old Ideas Tour is not getting stale. Continually gets great reviews. It's elegant simplicity at it's best.

Most people who attend one of the concerts seem to walk away with a special feeling. I have been to three of the concerts in the last few years and each one was unique in it's own way. Two concerts were in two different small theaters in Connecticut and one was at Madison Square Garden in NYC. Seeing him in NYC is great because the audiences are usually so alive. I hope to attend more. I don't care if he sings the same songs over and over again. I love them all. I never tire of them. When something is great... it just is.

Three plus hours is a long program to create... it's not just the music. It's the lighting for each song, the body movements, the blocking on stage, etc. Not unlike a play.

I would love to have them add Born In Chains to set list again. I was just listening to it and it's a quite incredible.

Kind Regards,
Dari
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I have to agree with you Dari.

Born in Chains was one of my favorites on the 2010 tour. I was hoping it would be included in the 'Old Ideas' album. It's really a very moving song. I think the spirit of it is included in some of his newer songs, but would love to have the original on the new tour.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
comehealing

Post by comehealing »

When something is great... it just is.

Very well said Dari :)

I love too how you allude to the theatrical aspect of the shows.
I mentioned this earlier on in this thread. Just because we listen to a great song
a myriad of times, doesn't in any way lessen its beauty and resonance.

(This of course can be applied to paintings/books/films/plays etc)

Have to say it is a most fascinating debate and raises interesting questions about
art, timelessness and perhaps most interestingly OUR perception of what makes
for great art. The excellence that Leonard and the band display on stage is
one of the wonders of the modern age.

I hope I get to see another show.

Namaste :)
Alexis
(Oscar Wilde)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)
LHHUNTER

Post by LHHUNTER »

I must be missing something at the shows as a fail to see anything theatrical about it. Same songs, same lighting, same backdrop, same backing singers, same outfits, same stage position, same solos, same patter night after night.
James T

Post by James T »

Don't like it, don't go. Easy. Like I've said time and again, most bands that change the setlist night after night only play half the time of Leonard AT MOST. Of course there a few (very few) examples otherwise, but these are younger guys and gals with a smaller band (and maybe a band they made the songs with in the first place) they can jam about whatever they want cause it's a different vibe. Like Springsteen or whatever (can't stand the guy).

Sure he could rehearse more in between tours and try new things, but at the end of the day he probably wants non-tour time to be his own. He probably wants to play what he is comfortable with. Most people don't go to watch show after show after show, and a lot of the ones that do are obviously just delighted to see the great man. The between song chatter being similar and stuff I can kinda see how it annoys some people, but he gets a great reaction from the crowd every single time so why mix it up and risk a show that doesn't go all according to plan?
comehealing

Post by comehealing »

@LHHunter
I must be missing something at the shows

I would aver you are missing everything.

Hope the magic returns for you!

Bon chance :)
Alexis
(Oscar Wilde)
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

James T wrote: Sure he could rehearse more in between tours and try new things, but at the end of the day he probably wants non-tour time to be his own.
And let us never forget that Leonard Cohen is still making new stuff. Down-time, time to wander around aimlessly, time to do nothing but stare at the walls is vital for a writer.
LHHUNTER

Post by LHHUNTER »

Lets not forget this is a forum which means every member is entitled to express their view. It would be pretty boring if we all agreed with each other all of the time.
My thread on this topic has proved very popular on the forum considering the number of views it's received

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”