Darkness in TNT promo

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Franks

Re: Darkness in TNT promo

Post by Franks »

Rodin wrote:I am the forum's voice of reason.
You are grossly overrating yourself and underestimating the intelligence of the other forum members
Frank.
harald

Post by harald »

it may be news (as I didn´t know before)
but I certainly don´t see why it should be GOOD news if parts of Leonard Cohen songs are used for tv promos

(btw I like Rodin´s mostly intelligent comments -just try to get the irony before you utter your disgust)
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

Rodin wrote:A snippet of a song used to promote an obscure TV show that no one outside of the USA will ever see is 'news'?
That's 'context' baby.
It's news on the microcosm of a Leonard Cohen forum. I should send you to do penance to my other fandom home, the Weird Al forum (and if you're outside the US, or outside a certain age bracket, you might not even know who he is) where a single mention of a Weird Al song title in a question on the game show Jeopardy is news.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

HelenOE wrote:a single mention of a Weird Al song title in a question on the game show Jeopardy is news.
That: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27518 - was the news too. I insist 8)

Good point about our microcosm, Helen.
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks for support from some --- and yes I don't usually feel I've been insulted when most express their opinion, but this one did smart.

I questioned just how newsworthy the info was before posting it. But I still recall the old days where any mention of LC anywhere was considered newsworthy by everyone in the usenet group, and even here in the forum -- well before Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and touring the world to rave reviews and sold out shows everywhere.

I don't think the promo will interest me in trying the show about aliens -- that just isn't my taste in tv drama. I caught the promos because I enjoy the NBA basketball playoffs --- also not of interest to many here.

What I think is significant is that the newest Cohen recording is again appealing to advertisers and promoters. I became a huge fan only after hearing three songs in "Natural Born Killers," and I know other fans who became enchanted with Cohen after watching the movie "Pump up the Volume."

So I think it is noteworthy because it may in fact cause a few people to say "what it that song'" and "who is singing it" and after tracking down the answers may become new fans. Probably the thread on Cohen in movies and tv shows is a better place for the post, but it seemed to me it might reach a few more people in the news thread.
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

20 Years ago when I was a young teenager, and first discovered LC, nobody knew who he was. In fact it took me a full weekend of having my mom drive me to the various record shops that use to be around before I found a store that had anything of his in stock. All of my favorite local shops all said "Leonard who?" when I asked if they had anything. That is except for one who said "no" then proceeded to ask me why in the hell I would want anything by him. I'm happy to say he was the first one to go under when the digital download revolution took hold. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that for those of us who were here during the lean times, we remember the days when nobody in the "main stream" gave a s#*t about LC. So for us the fact that his music is being used by a USA TV network to promote a show is indeed news worthy. So Dick I say go ahead and post all these little tid-bits of news, they all serve as a bit more vindication that we were all right all those years ago when we came aboard the LC ship and others laughed at us.
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

As a fan of 40 years standing, bigdee, I can relate to that historical phenomenon so well. Whilst the "Leonard who?" was far more common in that first 20 years, it still happens today for me and then I mention "Hallelujah" and a connection is made, as just about everyone has heard it by now in one place or another. ;-)

I also agree that any news is okay here (even though what is newsworthy is contextual, relative... and in some way, personal).

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
harald

Post by harald »

harald wrote:it may be news (as I didn´t know before)
but I certainly don´t see why it should be GOOD news if parts of Leonard Cohen songs are used for tv promos

(btw I like Rodin´s mostly intelligent comments -just try to get the irony before you utter your disgust)
with my above contribution I just wanted give my humble opinion that I did not like poems or songs of the master used for tv promos
as here was discussion about the notice being news or not, I added that it was new for me
then and in brackets I generally appreciated Rodin´s comments

I received private emails about the latter
I don´t want to try my heroism here, so:

I have failed
I am deeply ashamed
I bow my head and revoke
I will never again like Rodin´s comments
or only in the cellar with the light turned off

(I made my remark on Rodin´s contributions spread over the forum in general, not on the one here in the thread
- but I will come back to my dear friend Lizzy privately)
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
uncleerwinone

Post by uncleerwinone »

News or not, here are two videos I stumbled upon a few years ago when I was still ambitious. I do pilates on an academic schedule which means that everything gained during the semester will be lost during summer break. So, I wondered what advanced pilates would look like and got a pleasant surprise.

I find it sweet when one becomes aware of with how much Cohen one is surrounded in daily life. I have no problem when others feel the same about their encounters or differ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSY-_MqKHIo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G62VjYlPtZc

Enjoy
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

If I knew how to do pilates, I would do it to theses videos ;-) :D Even though I can't do pilates, I found myself watching as if at some point I was going to jump up and do the routine along with him :roll:
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mutti

Post by mutti »

To me I think it is news and good news whenever Leonard's songs are used on television or in movies. I get a thrill!
Even if its a few lines or words. The more he is recognized the happier I am.
So many people hear his words and search to see who the artist it and have come to Leonard's music that way.
(I myself was fortunate to grow up in Canada and started reading Leonard's poetry in school when I was 16....)
So thank you Dick! I am going to tape the show just to hear it.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Thanks Dick and Roman. The link makes me want to watch this show.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

WoW. Intense and perfect coupling of the MUSIC, Leonard's VOICE, and the darkness of the night sky and the scenes!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks for the video Golden. Believe there are more of them, because the final note of the song was very memorable in first one I saw. Still watching the TNT basketball coverage, and they continue to air promos with the song.

While I am not certain, I am still guessing the song is only used in promos, but if it does appear in the show, hope someone will post that fact here.

Return to “News”