Sad news: Arlene Dick has passed away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
surrender

Re: Sad news: Arlene Dick has passed away

Post by surrender »

Blessed is the memory.....
Arlene has approached the life with determination and energy; she has given an extra color to the Leonard Cohen Forum.

My sincere condolences to Arlene's family,

Jarmila
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

I am deeply saddened to hear this news .
Arlene has been a great presence on this forum .
Thankyou so much for the wonderful scrapbook
May i join in the condolences to her family
David
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

After my last post here yesterday, I managed to finalize my goodbye words to Arlene.
I do not wish to occupy more space on this thread, so for those interested, you can read it via FB http://on.fb.me/XOUcJW or directly on my blog http://bit.ly/YeoZ29

One comment about CampCohen's Shabbat Shalom photos from Milwaukee:
When tour schedules were published, Arlene used to mark her calendar with the Friday eve concerts. Wherever on the globe UHTC were, she did her best to plan her day to be online in due time to post the Shabbat Shalom photo on her scrapbook.
Weeks ago, she was looking forward to this particular one - the first Shabbat of this leg - especially when she knew she won't be able to travel to Atlanta for next Friday's concert.
LC & UHTC's honoring her by making her part of the service is a beautiful and most thoughtful farewell.

--Sharon
Last edited by sharon.e on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
caz

Post by caz »

This is my first post to the forum although I have been reading it since I saw Leonard at the Fox Theater in Atlanta in 2009. I was surprised at the depth of my reaction to the news of Arlene's passing. My sadness came not only because she has passed on, but because so many people are diminished by her loss. The depth of community on this forum is obvious and perfectly symbolic of UHTC.

These days we are not only electronically connected but spiritually connected and so I express my sympathies to Arlene's family and to those on the forum who got to know her.
What a lovely first post - well said Vicki. One of the things that has struck me is that I too am surprised at how saddened I was at the news, for someone I'd never met and only "knew" through this Forum. I don't post very often these days - usually only for some special or momentous news, or in response to some event. Marking Arlene's passing fits into both categories.

Sleep well, Arlene..
quetzalcoatl80

Post by quetzalcoatl80 »

I join the members of the forum to express my sadness to the announcement of the Arlene's death.
I appreciated her quick-wittedness, her humor.
She knew how to make us share (both on this forum and on her blog), her enthusiasm, her passion for Léonard and her work.
Her reports of concerts were always informed well and often funny.
Arlene was a beautiful person who will miss us a lot.
To her family, her friends, I send my sincere condolences.

"Don't cry the person that you have lost but delight you to have know her"
lucenbetty

Post by lucenbetty »

so sad.....missing you Arlene, missing our chats, our e-mails, our hugs,love en support to one another..... Rest in peace my dear friend......sending you a very,very big hugggggggg !!
merton

Post by merton »

Safe journey, Arlene. Like so many I'll miss your smile, your posts and amazing enthusiasm.

All the best,
merton
st theresa 3

Post by st theresa 3 »

Sad news indeed--the forum has lost an amazing member--and i can only imagine the loss such an energetic and enthusiastic person will be to her family and friends. Extending sympathy to all and particularly to her close friends on the forum and her family.
abby

Post by abby »

sharon.e wrote:LC & UHTC's honoring her by making her part of the service is a beautiful and most thoughtful farewell.
How right to see her photo on the table, for Leonard to honor her there. I never knew Arlene but saw her from a distance once or twice. She was loved here- this community of fans can love well sometimes-
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney »

So sad to hear this news. Arlene contributed so much to the forum, and I had missed her presence over recent weeks. I was privileged to meet her in Gothenburg in 2010 and I know LCs comeback had enriched her life over recent years. I'm left with fond memories. Liam
jazz4111

Post by jazz4111 »

Joey Carenza - Leonard's tour manager posted a picture of LC raising a glass in memory of our dear departed Arlene with caption "one more for Arlene"
you can view it on his blog "Notes From the Road" or here:
http://tmblr.co/ZIGJEygMfpgI
Jazz
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja »

Although I didn't know Arlene personally like many here did, I felt as if I did because even in our brief PM exchanges she was warm, enthusiastic and welcoming - once giving generous help beyond measure timed just so - all without expecting anything in return.

It's been bittersweet going through these tributes, especially sharon.e's blog, and the video of Arlene wiping a tear watching Leonard's acceptance speech. He meant so much to her, as she did to this community.

My thoughts and prayers to her family and loved ones, and those here who knew her well or even a little. She had a way that touched everybody.

Rest in peace, Arlene, and thank you.
Will... If It Be Your Will
mirka

Post by mirka »

I'm sorry to read this sad news...I admired Arlene's spirits and enthusiasm, and her persistence in documenting 'everything Leonard Cohen' on the Internet.
In Las Vegas 2010 when fans sang "Passing through" I was standing next to her in the first row next to the stage. Suddenly I felt her nudging me and loudly commanding "sway !".....so I did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXQa01IS ... ata_player

My sincere condolences to Arlene's family.
RIP
Last edited by mirka on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
birminghamfan

Post by birminghamfan »

I was saddened by the news of Arlenes passing
I was my privilege to meet her in Portland and in Las Vegas in 2010 - her light , her warmth and her welcome will be much missed
May love always be with you
Steve
dick

Post by dick »

Where could she go?

Arlene was a human being so filled with soul that it will live forever in the thoughts of those who were fortunate to know and love her. We met her first in Nashville, and I still smile broadly at remembering how she she charmed all in the honkey-tonks -- especially a great Elvis impersonator. In much of our email sharing I came to appreciate very much how proud she was of that "other " Leonard in her life --- her son.

We both exalted in his wonderful family, and his success with one of the finest shows on television, now in its third season, "The Good Wife." I love watching the credits at the beginning of the show -- Leonard Dick almost always there as Executive Producer, and also frequently getting the "written by" credit on some of the best episodes.

I'll never forget you Arlene! Give em hell wherever you are, and keep on posting for later on. Huge Hugs.

Dick

Return to “News”