Sad news: Arlene Dick has passed away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
sharon.e

Sad news: Arlene Dick has passed away

Post by sharon.e »

Dear friends,
With tears in my eyes and deep pain in my heart I am writing you that Arlene has passed away tonight in Los Angeles (local afternoon of March 13).

She wasn't very well recently, but she kept her famous spirits up.
In his email her son wrote "Coincidentally or not, I happen to be playing Leonard Cohen's Live in London on my iPhone and put it on the bed next to her throughout the afternoon. " --I am not surprised at all and find it somewhat comforting.

I was very fortunate to have had her as a close and special friend, even if half the world away and I am thankful to this forum for being the place where I met her.
She truly was a unique and remarkable lady.
I know many of us share this sentiment.

I am at loss of better words right now and may share more later.
I would like to conclude with traditional words from a daily Jewish prayer also cited in funeral services:

עוֹשֶׂה שָׁלוֹם בִּמְרוֹמָיו
הוּא יַעֲשֶׂה שָׁלוֹם עָלֵינוּ
וְעַל כָּל יִשְׂרָאֵל
וְעַל כָּל יוֹשְׁבֵי תֵּבֵל
וְאִמְרוּ אָמֵן
"He who makes peace in high places, he will bring peace to us and to all of Israel and the entire world, and let us say Amen."

--Sharon
Last edited by sharon.e on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
Inna

Re: Sad news: Arlene Dick has passed away

Post by Inna »

This is terrible news. Arlene was a very special forum member. Though we have never met personally, our paths crossed here on the forum more than once and she was always kind and generous. Her love for our man was genuine. Her enthusiasm and her smile were contagious. My heart goes to her loved ones. May she rest in peace. I join in the prayer you wrote Sharon, and thank you for letting us know.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
B4real

Post by B4real »

Oh Sharon,
I had a sinking feeling about Arlene’s health over the last few months. I am so upset by this and my deepest sympathy goes out to her son Leonard and family.

It was Arlene who gave me the courage to make public here on the forum my own close escape with death some years ago.
Life is so fragile; and we never realize how true that is until you are faced personally with this fact.

I am truly at a loss for words .....

"Like a bird singing in the rain, let grateful memories survive in time of sorrow"
~~ Robert Louis Stevenson
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Maulwurf

Post by Maulwurf »

Arlene Dick z''l
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I am so sad - and in that bitter-sweet way, quite relieved - to hear this news. I had been pretty friendly with Arlene for a while and we became particularly close over the past couple of years as a sort of mutual support system through our various medical trials and tribulations. Only a few short weeks ago she was hoping to get to the Atlanta and Memphis shows but alas it was not to be. I last heard from her just over a week ago when she sent me a "goodbye" e-mail and I felt then that it would not be long before we heard this news.

Arlene was not always easy to be around but she was the bravest and pluckiest person I have ever met. Whenever I am remotely tempted to think something is too hard, I will always remember her example to us all.

Wendy
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

So so saddened to hear this. Arlene was an incredible lady and always ready to support and advise us. My thoughts are with her son Leonard and family at this sad time. Like Bev I am also at a loss for words right now. Rest In Peace Arlene, we will never forget you. Thank you Sharon for letting us know.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

rest in peace, dear arlene. was good to have contact with you, and share the gift of your enthusiasm. you will long be remembered.
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Arlene was indeed a unique lady and she will be missed. I am just happy that she had so many wonderful memories to sustain her through her final days.

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I too wish to express my sadness at this news.
She was my "guardian angel" as I uploaded my first videos of Leonard Cohen, guiding me through (and past) all the pitfalls.
We exchanged many emails on many topics and I will miss her on so many levels.
Like a lot of the Forum family I never met her, but I feel proud to consider her as a friend.
My sympathy goes out to her family, who I know she loved dearly and of whom she was extremely proud.
G-d Bless You Arlene Dick.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

I am truly saddened to hear this. Arlene was an amazing forum member and a great lady. I never managed to meet her in person, but she was always enthusiastic and funny in our online interactions. My heart goes out to her family and friends. Rest in peace, Arlene.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Arlene in Ghent in 2010. Photo by Eija.

We heard the sad news from Sharon in phone.
Arlene was a very special lady in our little community,
and she was also loved by Leonard and the band.

We are grateful that we had the chance to know Arlene,
and will always remember her and her mysterious smile!

Our deepest condolences to Arlene's family.

Eija & Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Diane

Post by Diane »

How sad. I didn't know Arlene but had of course noticed her many enthusiastic posts on the forum. It's hard to square them with someone who was ailing. My condolences to her family and friends.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

That is a wonderful photo of Arlene Jarkko. She Loved Leonard, his music and words and this little community that celebrates this. She was indeed one of a kind. She had more chutzpah than anyone else I know. We spent a few days in Gothenberg together after the 2010 event. After two weeks abroad I ready to go home but not Arlene. She went on to attend two concerts in Ghent and one in Berlin by herself while getting around with two canes.She could be challenging at times and opionated but she would listen to what you would say and at times come back later and say "I was thinking about what you said"

Arlene was unique and passionate and she contributed greatly to this forum. She will be missed. My thoughts are with her son Leonard and his family and her friends at this difficult time.

Goodbye Arlene,

Marsha
Last edited by friscogrl on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
basecamp

Post by basecamp »

I am so sad. During the last tour Arlene and I changed many messages because she wanted to know everything about Leonard's tour in Europe 2012. She was such a sweet and lovely lady. I will truly miss her!
My deepest condolences to Arlene's family and friends.
- Hans
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

R.I.P. Arlene. I don't think we ever met, but I felt she was a true friend from her kind comments about my posts. I will miss her presence here, as will many others.

Return to “News”