CONCERT REPORT: Chicago, Illinois November 23, 2012

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
IMM

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Chicago, Illinois November 23, 2012

Post by IMM »

AlanM wrote:Hi Joe,
As requested here are the "live" lyrics of Anyhow. I have included the studio ones for comparison.
Can't see how to do 2 columns here - easier to compare side by side.
For AlanM. Here's one way -- but I lose the italics, so I've added asterisks.

Code: Select all

Anyhow                                   Anyhow
  Studio version                           Live version Dublin 2012

You know, it really is a pity            It's a shame and it's a pity
  The way you treat me now                 The way you treat me now
  I know you can't forgive me              I know you can't forgive me
  But forgive me anyhow                    But forgive me anyhow
  The ending got so ugly                   The ending got so ugly
  I even heard you say                     I even heard you say
  You never ever loved me                  That you never ever loved me
  But could you love me anyway             But could you love me anyway

I dreamed about you baby                 I dreamed about you baby
  You were wearing half your dress         You were wearing half your dress
  I know you have to hate me               I know you have to hate me
  But could you hate me less               But could you hate me less
  I've used up all my chances              I've used up all my chances
  And you'll never take me back            And you'll never take me back
  But there ain't no harm in asking        But there ain't no harm in asking
  Could you cut me one more slack          Could you cut me one more slack

Now I'm naked and I'm filthy             Now I'm naked and I'm filthy
  And there's sweat upon my brow           And there's sweat upon my brow
  And both of us are guilty                And both of us are guilty
  Anyhow                                   Anyhow
* Have mercy on me, baby                   Aw, you told me things you’d like to do
* After all I did confess                  Which I would not allow
* Even though you have to hate me          But I’ve changed my mind and I’m tellin’ you
* Could you hate me less                   That I’d like to do them now

*                                          Aw mercy, baby, mercy
*                                          I admit I am the worst
*                                          And you do deserve to hurt me
*                                          but not so hard at first
*                                          You say your lover
*                                          Keeps you busy
*                                          With his acrobatic moves
*                                          Hey, don’t call unless you miss me
*                                          I don’t need that kinda news

It's a shame and it's a pity             It's a shame and it's a pity
  I know you can't forgive me              I know you can't forgive me
  The ending got so ugly                   The ending got so ugly
  You never ever loved me                  You never ever love me
  I dreamed about you, baby                I dream about you, baby
  I know you have to hate me               I know you have to hate me
  I'm naked and I'm filthy                 I'm naked and I'm filthy
  Both of us are guilty                    But both of us are guilty
  Have mercy on me, baby                   Have mercy on me
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

I think these videos are from Chicago - mostly partials -

Uploaded by "rickbader" - Thanks!

I'm Your Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhTgl7Haqk

Hallelujah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwxp1ajAr9Q

Take This Waltz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jRGMCA_tlA

So Long Marianne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sdIBlc7o9E

EDITING - to add -

Famous Blue Raincoat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v940myFG9U

I Tried To Leave You - Sharon Robinson/Mitch Watkins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNZnf25f0dk

I Tried To Leave You - ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWidh8_Tgs

Save The Last Dance For Me (complete)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYRd2zRhnGI
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Dear Alan,
Thank you so much for posting those lyrics-when I first saw your post with the one new verse, I kept thinking to myself that there was another one. While I was taking a shower this morning, I could remember something about things he would "not allow" and changing his mind "to do them now."

So it was great to hear this verse on the youTube:

I'm naked and I'm filthy
And there's sweat upon my brow
And both of us are guilty anyhow
You told me things you'd like to do
That I would not allow
But I've changed my mind
And I'm telling you
I'd like to do them now.

The laughter after this verse was so great! I think one of the most interesting things about this song is that is does start out to sound serious, so the first few laughs are a little bit of the tittering sort, but soon they turn to full belly laughs!

I would like to add that their version of "Amen" has reached a point that it is one of the highlights of the show. When he sings, "Listening so hard that it hurts"-it almost echoes the intensity that he has brought to the audience. If a couple of these songs weren't new, they would be highlights, but because of the nature of our longing for the familiar, they take more time for the audience to process. Leonard is on top of his game. There doesn't seem to be any comparison with other artists who are creating such great works at an older age, and their ability to present them in a fashion that brings both the memories of the old songs and the fresh, bold, invigorating creations that Leonard gives us.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks Joe for your concert report. I have been waiting to hear what you and Anne would report and it sounds like another amazing concert!
Still remember fondly our time together in Austin.
Cheers
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by K122211 - Thanks!

A compilation - Famous Blue Raincoat, I Tried To Leave You, Save The Last Dance For Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4NS9JJnJmE

First We Take Manhattan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J99y7Nn2Whs

Closing Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FriyjrSFY-o
chaplainmom

Post by chaplainmom »

Simply Amazing!! I was not able to see Leonard during the last tour for lots of reasons...waiting this long made it all the more wonderful, I think! The crowd was enthusiastic and Leonard was relaxed and smiling...and oh, that smile!

I agree with Joe, "Anyhow" is great in person. Sounds much different than the cut on Old Ideas. Leonard really got into it, was playful with it and very emotive. Sharon's "Alexandra Leaving" was sublime, Hattie and Charlie and the rest of the band...I just can't say enough about all of them. The time just flew by...

I really hoped to hear "Joan of Arc", but it was such a full show that I won't complain about missing it! Maybe when he comes through again....

Many thanks to Leonard and the band and crew! It was an evening I'll never forget.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by tygertrap - Thanks!

Who By Fire (without Javier - starts with LC singing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvrcj58odtc
chicagomusicmagazine

Post by chicagomusicmagazine »

Check out the Chicago Music Magazine review of Leonard Cohen's show at The Akoo Theater in Chicago/Rosemont, IL.
http://www.chicagomusicmagazine.com/rev ... o-theater/

Let us know what you thought of the show!

info@chicagomusicmagazine.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

chicagomusicmagazine wrote:Check out the Chicago Music Magazine review of Leonard Cohen's show at The Akoo Theater in Chicago/Rosemont, IL.
http://www.chicagomusicmagazine.com/rev ... o-theater/
Let us know what you thought of the show!
info@chicagomusicmagazine.com
This is a very nice review - and I'm printing it out because sometimes the links cannot be accessed after a period of time -

Also - there is a photo gallery - some very good pictures - at this link -
http://www.chicagomusicmagazine.com/med ... os/?id=102

Leonard Cohen Seduces The Akoo Theater

November 24th, 2012
Tyler Curtis

Review by: Tyler Curtis with Shawn Kellner
Photos by: Tyler Curtis

There are men, and there are legends. The latter are more susceptible to scrutiny under the microscope of history and musical relevance- but when you’re 78 and your body of work brings in a sold out crowd ranging from teenagers to octogenarians, and is touted by greats like Lou Reed and Dylan as some of the most important songwriting in history, its impossible to deny that Leonard Cohen is one of the greatest living legends in music. He is as mysterious as he is transparent, as dark as he is light-hearted. And he is on a mission to deliver his messages.

Cohen’s latest endeavor “Old Ideas” (his 12th studio album in 44 years) paints a picture of an aged man facing his life decisions and impending mortality. However morose the subject matter in any of his life’s work, (which deals with sex, love, philosophy, and everything else that drives us nuts) Mr. Cohen’s brilliant and energized performance last night at The Akoo Theater proved that he has plenty of piss and vinegar left to deliver over his beautiful genre-bending arrangements. If you haven’t looked into Leonard Cohen before, we suggest that you just go listen to his last 12 albums and learn what lyricists, poets and novelists have envied and emulated over the last 50 years.

When Leonard Cohen whimsically perambulated across the stage through his 8 piece band, beaming a wide smile beneath his signature fedora, it was apparent that, despite the undertones of romantic apocalypse and existential ennui that populate his songs, Cohen was ready to have a good time. Opening with the Mediterraneanesque “Dance Me To The End Of Love”, Cohen began his signature bass and baritone croons to a standing ovation (the first of four that night) and ended it on his knees as they flowed into the slow burn of “Bird on the Wire” and ethereal “Everybody Knows”. Guitarists Javier Mas and Mitch Watkins transported the crowd to the spanish countryside with a classical guitar interlude before tackling heavy religious ideas in “Who by Fire”. During the song Cohen removed his fedora and took in the guitar solo and interlude with his eyes closed, his role as prophet and poet made more illustrious by his humble grace.

It wasn’t all serious business though. He garnered roars of laughter with some self depreciating “old man” stabs, both in the songs and in between. He mused early on “I think I will begin smoking again when I’m 80. I can’t promise you it’ll be perfect then, but tonight, friends, I can promise you that we will give you all we got.” Before “Ain’t No Cure For Love”, Cohen cheerfully joked “Sometimes I find myself staring into the mirror in the morning and saying ‘Lighten up Cohen, how long are you going to pout that there ain’t no cure for love?’” and later continued on with his longing for his defunct smoking habit “This is the part where 2 years from now, I’ll be smoking a cigarette. A young girl in a nurses uniform will bring out a table and a chair, and I’ll tap out a smoke as this music begins to play.

And like a grandfather at Thanksgiving declaring what he is grateful for, Cohen introduced every member of his band more than a few times, offering more details about each member as if revealing family secrets. Whether on purpose or as a nervous habit, the gratitude Cohen has for his collaborators is undeniable as well as welcome in today’s landscape of computers and anonymous session players left in the dark behind major stars.

Additional highlights of the evening included: the Canadian Cohen showing some genuine and emotional American pride while declaring “Democracy is coming to the USA!” during “Democracy”, the haunting warmth of the Hammond B3 simmering beneath the always spooky “Waiting for a Miracle”, Cohen standing in the galleys mouthing every word as the Webb sisters sang “If It Be Your Will”, and an effectively soft orchestration of the formerly synthesized “First We Take Manhattan”. Cohen did a little spoken word of the chorus of “Alexandra Leaving” before giving the reigns to long time collaborator Sharon Robinson for her spine chilling solo rendition of the duet classic. And then there is the matter of the Cohen staple “Hallelujah”- Many artists have paid tribute or tried to surpass the master by covering this song but last night it was clear there is no substitute for the Cohen’s performance as the verses that many covers (including Buckley’s) leave out tied up the poet’s message poignantly.

“I did my best, it wasn’t much
I couldn’t feel, so I learned to touch
I’ve told the truth, Friends, I didn’t come to fool you
And even though it all went wrong
I’ll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah”

The wizened Cohen is as spry and witty as performers half his age. Throughout the entirety of his 3-hour, 31 song set his only break was a 20 minute intermission that seems designed more for the audience than for himself. And most performers coming up the ranks should be taking notes: Cohen recites every song perfectly from memory with stunning conviction, without teleprompters or in-ear monitors, proving that when left to the task of sharing your feelings, you should know what your talking about.

Cohen’s voice, both on the page and in the music, is a tour de force. The scientists behind the soundboard delivered one of the crispest and balanced live shows since Peter Gabriel stunned the United Center. His perfectly enunciated delivery and unique showmanship is tireless and inspiring, justifying the fanaticism of his legions. Last night in Rosemont, Leonard Cohen proved that it is not about how long you are in the spotlight, but rather how large of a shadow you project on the world while you’re here.

Setlist:

Set I
The Future
Bird On The Wire
Everybody Knows
Who By Fire
Darkness
Ain’t No Cure For Love
Come Healing
In My Secret Life
A Thousand Kisses Deep
Anthem

Set II
Tower of Song
Suzanne
Sisters of Mercy
Waiting For The Miracle
Anyhow
Heart With No Companion
Democracy
Alexandra Leaving
I’m Your Man
Hallelujah
Take This Waltz

Encore I
So Long Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Encore II
Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will
Closing Time

Encore III
I Tried To Leave You
Save The Last Dance For Me (Drifters Cover)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

And another good review - ConcertLiveWire -
http://www.concertlivewire.com/cohen12.htm
The influential Poetic Troubadour Only Gets Finer With Time

Leonard Cohen
[Click on link to see more pictures ]

Akoo Theatre at Rosemont
Rosemont, IL
November 23, 2012

Review and photos by Andy Argyrakis
The last four years have been especially productive for Leonard Cohen, who besides mounting a seemingly never ending world tour, also turned in one of the most entrancing and essential albums of his lauded career. "Old Ideas" (Columbia) finds the 78-year-old troubadour conjuring up yet another sharp, sophisticated batch of richly poetic lyrics bathed in the same understated folk pop stylings that made him an underground hero, occasional hitmaker and frequent source of tribute. (Jeff Buckley, Nick Cave, k.d. lang, Rufus Wainwright and Don Henley are just a few of the many who've covered a tune).

During his latest Chicago area visit, the veteran turned in an extremely generous three hour set with his pokerfaced presentation in tact, alongside the magnificent stylings of a six piece band and the superb vocal support of long time collaborators Sharon Robinson and The Webb Sisters. Even so, the show's main focus turned to the laureate's genius lyrics, which focused on the various facets of romance ("Dance Me To The End Of Love," "Ain't No Cure For Love"), various degrees of soul searching ("Amen," "Come Healing") and several of his signature storytelling songs ("Bird On The Wire," "Suzanne").

Though Cohen doesn't exactly have vocals of velvet (and they're certainly an acquired taste for the general population), his charmingly wry delivery gets more refined with time, which was particularly evident as his smoky baritone sputtered out the classic "Everybody Knows" and the sparse new piano ballad "Anyhow." The crooner also delivered other enduring chestnuts like "I'm Your Man" and "Hallelujah" with just as much ease and intricacy, all highlighting his literary turns of phrases with vigor and vitality.

Given the rapturous response from the sold out audience, the encores kept right on rolling from astute oldies like "So Long, Marianne" and "First We Take Manhattan" to the current "Going Home," which found the eternally wise artist (and ordained Buddhist monk) casting a spell of peace and reconciliation. And Cohen made it clear that no matter how long this road trip will wind, he'll be going out on top, not only as one of the world's most treasured songwriters, but also as a man who seems to be enjoying the journey more than ever before.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

zwirnie wrote:The setlist for the Chicago concert

Can anyone comment on the accuracy? Thanks.
zwirnie - I can't comment about the accuracy - but I notice that the setlist included in Chicago Music Magazine review includes "Sisters of Mercy."
Corinne

Chicago show videos

Post by Corinne »

Here's one song - more to come:
(subscribe to youtube channel for updates)

http://youtu.be/bbqrpVylr9s
zwirnie

Post by zwirnie »

sturgess66 wrote:zwirnie - I can't comment about the accuracy - but I notice that the setlist included in Chicago Music Magazine review includes "Sisters of Mercy."
Thanks for pointing me to it ... I'm not too sure about the setlist there though, it forgot to mention 'Dance Me' as the first song (although mentioned in the text above), and 'Amen' is missing from the setlist as well, even though I'm sure it was played ... so, not quite sure what to make of it ...
2010: Wellington, 2012/13: Berlin
Vlastik

Post by Vlastik »

No "Sisters of Mercy" in Chicago. I was actually suprised that he put guitar away immediately after Suzanne :)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Underground Bee -
http://www.undergroundbee.com/2012/11/2 ... o-theatre/
Leonard Cohen at the Akoo Theatre

November 25, 2012

Leonard Cohen turned 78 years old this fall, but he showed no signs of allowing his age to slow him down when he performed Friday night (Nov. 23) at the Akoo Theatre (the suburban Chicago venue formerly known as the Rosemont Theatre). Cohen was on the stage for more than three hours! As the concert began, he said he and his band would give the audience everything they had — and it turned out that he wasn’t joking.

Cohen delivered a marathon greatest-hits concert backed by a versatile band of virtuosos and dulcet-voiced singers. Cohen has never been seen as a conventionally great singer, but his conversational tone is perfect for putting the emphasis on his poetic lyrics — and his weathered voice sounded just right on Friday night, especially when it descended into beautifully creaky baritone depths. As good as Cohen’s band is, he allowed the musicians to indulge in a few too many solos over the course of the evening, but it was always touching to see Cohen’s unusual gesture toward those players. Whenever it was someone’s turn to play a solo, Cohen doffed his hat, holding it in front of his chest in a sign of respect, as he stood or knelt facing the soloist.

Cohen also knelt frequently as he sang. Maybe he just felt comfortable resting his legs for a minute, but it also seemed like a sign of gratitude, or perhaps a recognition of music’s holy quality. Cohen skipped with delight as he left the stage, and then he kept coming back … and coming back. Many audience members got up to leave after his first encore, but then he came back and sang more. He skipped away again, audience members got up again, and then Cohen returned for yet another encore. By the time he finished with a cover of the Drifters’ “Save the Last Dance for Me,” he had played 30 songs. And he looked like he could’ve kept it up for another few hours.

Here’s a set list — which Greg Kot included in his Chicago Tribune review; the list matches my notes from the concert.

FIRST SET: Dance Me to the End of Love / The Future / Bird on the Wire / Everybody Knows / Who by Fire / Darkness / Ain’t No Cure for Love / Amen / Come Healing / In My Secret Life / A Thousand Kisses Deep / Anthem

SECOND SET: Tower of Song / Suzanne / Waiting for the Miracle / Anyhow / Heart With No Companion / Democracy / Alexandra Leaving (performed by Sharon Robinson) / I’m Your Man / Hallelujah / Take This Waltz

FIRST ENCORE: So Long, Marianne / Going Home / First We Take Manhattan

SECOND ENCORE: Famous Blue Raincoat / If It Be Your Will (performed by Webb Sisters) / Closing Time

THIRD ENCORE: I Tried to Leave You / Save the Last Dance for Me

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”