CONCERT REPORTS: Austin, October 31 & November 1

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
MaryB

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Austin, October 31 & November 1

Post by MaryB »

Arlene, Joy, Avi, FanForLife,

Thank you so much for your reports. All those tiny details make your reports so exquisite!

Arlene - I thoroughly enjoyed you 'raw' video of 'Anyhow'. He and the audience seem to both be enjoying themselves so much! I hope he keeps this one in the setlist for this leg of the tour. Happy to see that you and Leslie got to be at the soundcheck!

Avi - I understand what you meant about him prefacing his songs in previous tours. I know he did that in the 93 tour.

Thank you all for your reviews, photos, and videos (Arlene).

Rachel, I had to laugh at your question re: costumes. That image of the watermelon guy from Austin City Limits is etched in my head. I never did get an answer on the forum as to the relevance of that watermelon. :?

Grateful regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

End of the show, Thursday.
Attachments
Evening's Over......
Evening's Over......
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
dari

Post by dari »

bridger15 wrote:Here are some more raw videos from concert 2, Nov 1.
I started to take videos very cautiously so there is little panning and I didn't raise my camera very high.
---Arlene
I have been enjoying all the concerts report from around the world. And I am excited about seeing the tour at MSG in December.

Arlene,

Thank you for these videos. And all the others.
What kind of camera do you use? I have a professional DSLR camera but unfortunately MSG doesn't allow any DSLR or SLR cameras.
I was told when I called to inquire that you are searched at the door.

I saw that last tour in a strange town but beautiful small venue in Connecticut and it was a very warm and intimate setting. Wish he had come back there again his time.
Being a smaller place, it was more relaxed and no one was searched at the door.

Kind Regards,
Dar
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I love the pink tones in that gentle, reverent photo of Leonard.
Thanks for posting it.

Really love that one you've posted of Leonard leaving, too, FanForLife. It's perfect.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
mutti

Post by mutti »

Still flying high from being at the 2 concerts in Austin. I arrived early evening on the 29th and had a lovely dinner
with Joe and Anne Way. It was great to finally meet in person and to enjoy the warm full moon night on the rooftop terrace at Ironworks. The next day I drove around sightseeing and the highlight for me was a swim in the 80 degree full sun at the huge Barton Springs Pool which are natural springs with fresh cold water. Those who know me well know that everywhere I visit I always suss out the local swimming holes or pools.
That evening was the Event which was intimate, cozy and a great way to start off the concerts. The band was friendly before and after to everyone. Great that we can all see it on the link on that thread. Arlene, Joe and Anne, Denise, Penny and Allan were all there.

October 31st: Grace had organized a meetup dinner at Gabriel's Cafe close by and that was a nice gathering. Joy and her husband, her father and his friend, Denise, Lizzy, Joe and Anne amongst others attended. Arlene was at both concerts. We sat together the 2nd night.
I was beyond excited for the actual concerts and was so hyped up that at the first one that a fellow 3 seats over asked me to stop tapping my feet and bouncing to the songs as it was making his seat vibrate. The seats were all connected. I calmed down and told him at intermission the 2nd set would be wilder so I was not sure how calm I would be. Luckily a seat freed up with next to Denise and Grace so they invited me to sit with them a row ahead of my own seat.

November 1st: was a much wilder concert. Leonard appeared more lively and it reminded me a lot of the last concert in Las Vegas in 2010.
Right from the beginning his gorgeous smile came out and he seemed feisty and ready for anything. The crowd was even more enthusiastic than the first night. It was great! Both nights were great but I especially loved the 2nd. Saw Avi and John Fan for Life (from Cork Ireland) there.
The master of song and words really touched my heart throughout the evening.

I am so grateful to have been able to attend Austin as they truly were memorable concerts for me.
Leslie 8)
Last edited by mutti on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

dari wrote:Arlene...What kind of camera do you use? I have a professional DSLR camera but unfortunately MSG doesn't allow any DSLR or SLR cameras.
dari, I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 with a class 10 memory card stepped down to WVGA
I hope this helps.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
dari

Post by dari »

bridger15 wrote:
dari wrote:Arlene...What kind of camera do you use? I have a professional DSLR camera but unfortunately MSG doesn't allow any DSLR or SLR cameras.
dari, I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 with a class 10 memory card stepped down to WVGA
I hope this helps.
---Arlene
Thank you, Arlene.

Yes, it does. Thank you. It tells me a lot.
You get very quality with it. I need to buy a point and shoot camera and I will check it out.
And you have a steady hand. :-) Nice job with the videos.

Kind Regards,
Dari
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

dari wrote:
bridger15 wrote:
I hope this helps.
---Arlene
Thank you, Arlene.

Yes, it does. Thank you. It tells me a lot.
You get very quality with it. I need to buy a point and shoot camera and I will check it out.
And you have a steady hand. :-) Nice job with the videos.

Kind Regards,
Dari
Hi Dari,

If it helps, I recently bought an excellent Canon point-and-shoot (PowerShot SD4500IS) and I'm very happy with it.
It has a relatively large lens, 10x zoom, 10MP, shoots well in low-light conditions, full HD video and the list goes on.
Since it's not a new model you can get it on Amazon for $132 USD. Highly recommended!
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

mutti wrote: the highlight for me was a swim in the 80 degree full sun at the huge Barton Springs Pool which are natural springs with fresh cold water. Leslie 8)
Leslie,
Is that the equivalent of a cold shower? Perhaps necessary before an LC concert ;-) :lol:
Thank you so much for your great take on the goings-on!
Affectionate regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mutti

Post by mutti »

Mary the water is actually about 68 degrees but still it took a few moments to get into. Once I started swimming it was gorgeous.

Sorry you weren't in Austin and we are missing each other this time around.
Till the next time.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

dari wrote:And you have a steady hand. :-) Nice job with the videos.
Dari
Dari. Some of the steadiness is due to a YouTube editing facility.
After you upload a video, you can choose Video Manager. Edit, Enhancement, Stabilize. Save.
Believe me, I am as shaky as everyone else.
If you run into trouble, send me a PM.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
dari

Post by dari »

bridger15 wrote:
dari wrote:And you have a steady hand. :-) Nice job with the videos.
Dari
Dari. Some of the steadiness is due to a YouTube editing facility.
After you upload a video, you can choose Video Manager. Edit, Enhancement, Stabilize. Save.
Believe me, I am as shaky as everyone else.
If you run into trouble, send me a PM.
---Arlene
That's very kind of you, Arlene. Thank you.
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

For those of you who haven't seen it on Notes from the Road, I think that this is a wonderful wonderful shot of leonard and two of his most dedicated followers:

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/347 ... -and-cohen

Talk about a private viewing !
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Such a sweet photo and forever treasure for each of you.
What better way to have spent that time ;-) :D .

All the best,
Lizzy
xox
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”