If It Be Your Will

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
jally

If It Be Your Will

Post by jally »

Hi

I was thinking of having 'If it be your will' as part of my upcoming marriage ceremony (in RC church) towards the end as a reflection. Any of you care to share your thoughts on how this would or wouldn't fit?
I can't discuss with my mates as I don't want this to be known beforehand.
I've not been on this forum for nearly 5 years eek! :?
Vicomte

Re: If It Be Your Will

Post by Vicomte »

From my own personal point of view, I really do not think this is a suitable piece for a marriage, sorry.

I know it has been used at a funeral though.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

If you love this song and it touches you, and if you would be happy having it in your wedding ceremony, then that is really all that matters, isn't it?

Best wishes!
sbreen

Post by sbreen »

Choose music that is meaningful to you and music that is meaningful to your partner.

No song that you want to have can be wrong for you. No song that your partner would feel a loss if it wasn't included can be wrong.

This is YOUR day. Don't have any regrets because you thought someone else might not understand any of your choices - from dress and flowers through to food choices and music.

Your day - your choices!

Have a wonderful day - whenever it occurs.
jally

Post by jally »

Thanks for your replies!

That is just what I needed as I had thought both viewpoints...just needed the positive to tip over more. My priest had already said that music does need to be religious so I emailed him my special request giving my interpretation of how it would fit and YouTube link to the Webb sisters singing it (as I will have female vocalist).
He replied to say he knows the song well as he has been to see Leonard Cohen a few times! He said I'm sure we can fit it in! I'm thrilled he's a LC fan...nearly makes it all the better :lol:

Also I understand it could be used as funeral song, and maybe I'll make sure it's played at mine, but lots of music can be suitable for both. I'll probably have amazing grace and that can go for both too.

Thanks again for your feedback.
jally

Post by jally »

So in the end, I had this played at our wedding and it was absolutely amazing. my favourite part of the ceremony. I will forever remember the moments to this song with my new husband that my old schoolfriend sang perfect, just like a webb sister. What a memory :D
sbreen

Post by sbreen »

:D

So glad you chose music that was special to you.

:D

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”