Dear Heather-More Space Between The Words

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
jerry

Dear Heather-More Space Between The Words

Post by jerry »

That's the best way I can describe DH. I'm Your Man,The Future and Ten New Songs were all packed with lyrics. With the words coming at you in an endless stream. On Dear Heather the lyrics are fewer and there is much more space between the words.It seems to me that half the album is instrumental and the other half words.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'd say you're probably right in that assessment, Jerry. Is that a concern for you? Would you rather the songs be more packed with words?
jerry

Post by jerry »

I bought DH this morning and it's beginning to grow on me. Slowly.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

My friend from England [London area] called me this afternoon [Phil ~ you know her, too, Linmag :D ] and we spent a solid 20 minutes talking about Dear Heather, and intermittently during the remainder of our conversation. She bought it on Monday; she said it grabbed her immediately, whereas it took about three listenings with Ten New Songs. She said Dear Heather just keeps going deeper with her. She also commented on the far fewer number of words, and I told her that someone here had just brought that up today. She said it seems that he's able to get to where he wants to be without the extra words, just the bare bones; and that much is said through what's not said, as well. I told her that some reviewers were referring to it as being Zenlike, in that same way.

She made a very interesting comment regarding "There For You;" said in a most matter-of-fact way. She said, "It's a love song to G~d. Of course, it's written like a love song to a woman, too ~ the way Cohen always allows for double meanings." "If It Be Your Will" immediately came to mind, and it seemed like could be his own answer to that; a love song to G~d having realized and obeyed G~d's Will. I told her I hadn't thought of it in that way, at all, but now I'll listen for it. She said the freeze with fear would be that acknowledgement of fear of death, and 'returning' to G~d, when those thoughts arise. The "making objects out of thoughts, making more by thinking not" seemed transcendental to her. So, I've now read all the lyrics from that perspective, and I can understand how she understood it in this way.

Yes, Jerry, I believe this album will only continue to grow more on and in you.

~ Lizzy
linmag

Post by linmag »

Phil called me too, Lizzy. She had just bought the CD and was desperate to talk to someone about it, as she can't get online much at the moment to come to the site. She said she was going to try to speak to you too. I'm glad she did. It has meant so much to me having the support of everyone here in anticipating and then getting to know Dear Heather. This is the first time for years that I have not felt completely alone in approaching a new album by Leonard. It really makes a difference havin someone to talk to, be it on the phone or online.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, I asked her to pleeeeease come here and offer her own commentary. I knew I wasn't going to be able to quote her verbatim ~ and she did such a better job herself, the first time out.

Exactly. Desperate to talk with someone about it. What a wonderful feeling that was for me on this end of the line. Someone desperate to talk positively about Leonard Cohen, due to something new by him. Did I just die and go to heaven?

~ Lizzy
~greg

Post by ~greg »

"There For You;" said in a most matter-of-fact way. She said, "It's a love song to G~d. Of course,
Cohen does put a small obstacle in the way of getting it immediately,
--namely: "I was there for you". I doubt there's anyone
who doesn't imagine that, at first, as themselves speaking,
with a pout, to someone they've imagined themselves
as having always "been there for", --and not sufficiently
appreciated for it! --In other words, as a thing that they've
actively and consciously and selflessly *chosen* to be.

Cohen of course means it quite differently, --as answering
the essential human question: Why are we here?
The answer being --that we're here for G-d's plan,
- something not chosen, but realized. Or, in the negative,
--to keep it agnostic, -- we are not here just to serve
our own egos (--as the other meaning of "I was there for you"
is saturated in).
--It's a very nice gestalt flip.

~~~~~

And now you should go and read
"The Letters" the same way:

"The Letters" == The Bible, or Torah (which in fact
was often burned); (and note, eg: "there'd been
a flood" etc)
"You walk into my room" = synagogue or church,
etc.

and:
"The one who's coming next" --- ;)

and cf in particular the 1st stanzas:
The Letters...............................There For You
-----------------------------------------------------------------
You never liked to get...............When it all went down
The letters that I sent................And the pain came through
But now you’ve got the gist.......I get it now
Of what my letters meant..........I was there for you

---------------------

Also most interesting is to compare "The Faith" 's

"O love, aren't you tired yet?"

with the similar, but different, sentiment
from back in his "Do I Have To Dance All Night" days:

"I'm forty-one. ...
You're so fresh and you're so new ...
Oh tell me - bird of paradise,
Do I have to dance all night? "

~greg.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

"The Letters" == The Bible, or Torah (which in fact
was often burned); (and note, eg: "there'd been
a flood" etc)
"You walk into my room" = synagogue or church,
etc.
Despite your pedantic way of coming to 'clarify' with the 'Truth' for anyone 'confused' as to what Cohen might mean ~ whilst chastising others for infusing their own interpretations with their own views [all this a polite way of saying "the pot calling the kettle black" :wink: ]......despite all that, I LOVE your above interpretation of these lines ~ not unlike Leonard, at all, however, to have his song address many levels concurrently.....so don't throw out the interpretation of enduring love and commitment to a woman, children, or anything else.

Welcome to the Forum, ~greg :D !

~ Lizzy

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”