Songs That May Bring You To Tears

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
holydove

Re: Songs That May Bring You To Tears

Post by holydove »

Steven wrote:Hi holydove,

Not that I'm particularly prone to tearing up.
Steven - LOL!! I didn't think you were. I figured you just wanted to know what makes everyone else cry!! Just for the record, I'm not really prone to that either; I'm sure none of us are! (Actually, since I can't "hear" your tone, I'm not sure if you were serious or joking. But if you were joking - very funny! And if you were serious, it's good that you assured of your non-weepy personality!)
Latraviata

Post by Latraviata »

Take this waltz and Fare thee well my nightingale for personal reasons... They really touch me.
Fare thee well, my nightingale...
victorbruno

Post by victorbruno »

Hi there, this is my first post.

Well, I have not yet cry while listening any Cohen song. But, anyhow, I know they are very touching - especially his first recordings.

But every time I listen to Joan of Arc and It Seems So Long Ago, Nancy tears are born in my eyes. They don't fall, just still standing there. These days, at least, these songs are more emotionally... they affect me more deeply.

You know guys, I am in love (shall I say it in public)? I don't want to sound an emocore guy, but... it's a love that seems that if I do not do something fast, never will happen again. And she... she is such a cold and distant heroine. She is fragile, and she turns me into a fragile guy. And sadness, fragility and Cohen...

So, these are, for now, my favorite and tear-dropping tunes, also.
jpetri

Post by jpetri »

Without doubt, The Stranger Song. Brought a tear to his own eye on YouTube.
Garcia Lorca

Post by Garcia Lorca »

"If it be your will" and "Take this waltz".
The first one because for me is sublime and an expression of love almost celestial. The second because I love Garcia Lorca poems and remembers me of him and his hard life .
" The instructions were never to lament casually. And if one is to express the great inevitable defeat that awaits us all, it must be done within the strict confines of dignity and beauty."
Marcello

Post by Marcello »

Night Comes On - Always!
phillip

Post by phillip »

Seems so Long Ago Nancy
Take This Waltz
Leaving Greensleeves
The Letters
and Tennessee Waltz
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
Leonarddicted

Post by Leonarddicted »

Seems So Long Ago, Nancy

... because it's about the real suicide of a real girl. In my opinion, it's the only Cohen song that is really sad through and through.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Songs I was in tears for in Ghent were Hallelujah (as always), If It Be Your Will, Heart With No Companion and Famous Blue Raincoat.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”