Earliest Recording Of LC's Suzanne – Stormy Clovers 1966

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
DrHGuy

Earliest Recording Of LC's Suzanne – Stormy Clovers 1966

Post by DrHGuy »

stormy-clovers-take-30.jpg
A year before Leonard Cohen or Judy Collins performed his music on stage, the Stormy Clovers were playing Cohen’s songs at festivals and in clubs, coffee houses, and campuses in Toronto, Montreal, and other Canadian cities and towns.

I have published two posts about the Stormy Clovers & Leonard Cohen with more to come:

1. Introducing The Stormy Clovers – And Their Songwriter, Leonard Cohen
http://1heckofaguy.com/2012/04/26/intro ... ard-cohen/

2. Video: Earliest Recording Of Leonard Cohen’s Suzanne – The Stormy Clovers 1966
http://1heckofaguy.com/2012/04/27/video ... vers-1966/

Included in the second post is a video comprising a 1966 audio recording of the Stormy Clovers performing Suzanne by Leonard Cohen supplemented with photos of the band, Cohen, and the Montreal waterfront.
Goldin

Re: Earliest Recording Of LC's Suzanne – Stormy Clovers 1966

Post by Goldin »

Thank you! Can't wait for the upcoming Stormy Clovers posts!
holydove

Post by holydove »

Very interesting as always, Allan - thank you so much!

Imagine having video or audio of that night at the Venus de Milo, when Leonard got up & sang those songs publicly for the very first time - wow - wouldn't that be something. . .
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

holydove wrote:Imagine having video or audio of that night at the Venus de Milo, when Leonard got up & sang those songs publicly for the very first time - wow - wouldn't that be something. . .
Another good reason to invent time travel ...
Cate

Post by Cate »

That was very cool, I'm not entirely sure I liked it but still - very cool.
IMM

Post by IMM »

Cate wrote:That was very cool, I'm not entirely sure I liked it but still - very cool.
Not sure I did either - then or now.

In the mid-60's (and earlier) - I had a neighbor who thought it was a very good play on words to have a group named as they were.
He pronounced it as Stormy Sea-Lovers rather than as Stormy 'K'lovers and thought that was great. :roll:
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I'm so glad he decided to record it himself :D Thank you Allan, for another jewel in your research. It is much appreciated!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hartmut wrote: Another good reason to invent time travel ...
I can't think of a better reason, now or ever. . .(you always make me laugh, Hartmut - thank you)

Mary, I've been thinking the same thing (lol!) - thank goodness Leonard decided to sing/play his own songs!
rmorgan

Post by rmorgan »

Perhaps "Stormy Clovers" = Stormy Cohen-Lovers .... :)

Thanks for the sweet history! It's a bit like when Peter, Paul and Mary sang "Blowin' in the Wind" ....

(Somehow I can't imagine PP&M doing "Desolation Row" ... or the Stormy Clovers doing "Death of a Ladies Man" .....)
DrHGuy

DD Fraser, The Stormy Clovers, & Leonard Cohen

Post by DrHGuy »

David Fougere, who, then known as DD Fraser, was the Stormy Clover’s bass player in the sixties, has written a first-person narrative about the band, including the experience of working with Leonard Cohen and spending time with him and Marianne. (Note: Leonard Cohen and Marianne play major but not dominant roles in the narrative.)

The story is by turns raucously funny, heartachingly tragic, mysterious, and provocative. Previously unpublished information is revealed, names are named – and dropped, accomplishments and sins are confessed.

While Forum members are likely to be most interested in the sections about Leonard Cohen and Marianne, the entire piece is an interesting and insightful look at a time when Montreal and, especially, Toronto played a major role in bringing together folk music and rock and roll.

The first installment - DD Fraser & The Stormy Clovers – Part 1, is posted at http://1heckofaguy.com/2012/05/01/dd-fr ... rs-part-1/
IMM

Post by IMM »

I notice he mentions Eddy among many others.
Can anyone else hear Duane Eddy's Peter Gunn influence in Book Of Longing on TOLCA1 ?

In honour of Duane's name making it to the article, here is a tune of the left hand (at least the melody is carried in the bass line, and it would be left hand, if you were a piano player). :)
For those with a box a chocolates (the long stemmed rose is in the mail).
Rebel Rouser - YouTube
IMM

Post by IMM »

rmorgan wrote:Thanks for the sweet history! It's a bit like when Peter, Paul and Mary sang "Blowin' in the Wind" ....
I recall an uncle living not too far from me for whom the PPM's version of If I Had a Hammer was the preference. Most of the older crowd really weren't that sure of Dylan. :)

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”