HOP FARM (UK), 8 SEPT ON GENERAL SALE

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
gilly-rjd

Re: HOP FARM (UK), 8 SEPT ON GENERAL SALE

Post by gilly-rjd »

In 2010 I attended 2 concerts - one in the warm, dry comfortable Zenith stadium in Lille.
The other outside at Lissadell in Sligo. Both were wonderful, BUT the atmosphere at Lissadell, and the evening itself was beyond descripion.
To get to the House was a 2 mile coach ride down a single track lane with only a small turnaround point at the end! Some had to wait almost 2 hours to get a coach back to the town, yet I heard no-one complain. The queues for the toilets were long, yet nobody seemed to mind.
Before the concert I drank cold lager from plastic cups, and ate hot chicken noodles from polystyrene containers. I felt 18 again!
We sat/stood for nearly 4 hours - towards the end in the rain - cold, shivering, and wet -under the stars, feeling 'drunk' on the beauty of the place and the music. I think we were all in heaven.
I didn't see myself as an outside concert/festival person (being quite old!) but I wouldn't have missed that evening for the world.
So, Hop Farm Paddock will also be wonderful -regardless of weather and location. Just enjoy every minute.
- 2008 - Birmingham - 2009 -Liverpool - 2010 - Sligo, Lille
2012 -Guent, Paris - 2013 Bournemouth, Manchester, Birmingham
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

hadley wrote:
Vicomte wrote::lol: :lol:

What those videos of the very muddy years, or of the less muddy years, or the rare dry ones? ;-)
I meant like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-N67RjFFKs ;)
Not like this then :D ;-)

I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
stargazer61

Post by stargazer61 »

Well, I, for one, am pleased and happy to be going to The Hop Farm to see LC. I don't understand why there is not the same displeasure over the Dublin concerts, as they too, are outdoor venues.

Will take waterproofs and sunscreen, wellies and sunshades, a picnic and a spade to dig my car out of the mud! Sorted.

Have yet to go to any concert where I wasn't disturbed by people who cannot go for half-an-hour without getting up to get another beer or snack.

Indoor or outdoor, you have to put up with people eating, drinking, burping, farting, texting, singing out of tune, standing up, and talking (about nothing to do with the concert). It seems to be the way it is - and, anyway, the real irritants get a short sharp prod in the back with my walking stick - well only once!

For all we know LC will be doing a dozen concerts in the UK next year which, for many of us, will lead to a year of beans on toast, no central heating, and a serious depletion of our pension funds!

If The Hop farm is the only UK concert this year, so be it! Bring on the mud and starry skies!
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2009 Liverpool. Weybridge. Paris. Barcelona
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.
hadley

Post by hadley »

Vicomte wrote:
hadley wrote:
Vicomte wrote::lol: :lol:

What those videos of the very muddy years, or of the less muddy years, or the rare dry ones? ;-)
I meant like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-N67RjFFKs ;)
Not like this then :D ;-)

Lol it doesn't matter anyway now I've got tickets to the Verona concert I'll stop defending the hop farm gig :lol:

Good luck with finding anything against this as an outdoor venue Vicomte ;) :lol:

Image Image
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Been to a few great outside arenas over the years. No one can doubt the atmosphere they create but this was just a bubble....... ;-)

Nimes for instance is a great arena but the more serious side of some of these old arenas, is how the seating numbers are arranged, it can often cause an amount of confusion. Tell the truth, for one night only, I would love LC to go back to the very beginning, change his name and play the Half Moon, Putney :lol: ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney »

Nice one Hadley :) Not sure if you've noticed tho', there's no roof! :D But then it is outdoor!
IMHO this is the best theatre on the planet - but on the 8th September that honour will belong to Hop Farm
Nefelly

Re: HOP FARM (UK), and Verona weather

Post by Nefelly »

Verona will of course be super-stunning. But dont forget even they experience problems with massive downpours/thunderstorms in summer in that area Many friends of mine have been rained off going to their operatic evening as the concert was cancelled. 0ne friend said she filmed the rain as she knew nobody back home would believe her..........

I just pray both Verona and Hop Farm will enjoy the most perfect weather but will still go prepared !!!!!
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

stargazer61 wrote: All being well, there will be concerts in the UK in 2013 so it seems to be a question of just having patience. Does the UK have a greater priority than other countries when it comes to organising a tour. He has fans all over the world.

.Open air concerts can be wonderful, a completely different atmosphere especially under the stars. IMO it does not diminish the music...
No, the UK does not have more priority.
And yes, open air concerts might be a good experience.

However, from experience open air & UK don't marry too well as the weather is too unpredictable.

Also these in the middle of nowhwere locations aren't ideal either for access nor are they cheap. I can only speak for myself but I believe a lot more people would be inclined to go if it was in an easily accessible city and indoors.
LHHUNTER

Post by LHHUNTER »

I think Hopp farm is a very poor choice of venue for LC in the UK. I was at Weybridge when it rained heavily and the simple fact is it made the show far less enjoyable. Also the prices for Hopp farm are some 40% higher than Weybridge. Whats that all about?
stargazer61

Post by stargazer61 »

LHHUNTER wrote:I think Hopp farm is a very poor choice of venue for LC in the UK. I was at Weybridge when it rained heavily and the simple fact is it made the show far less enjoyable. Also the prices for Hopp farm are some 40% higher than Weybridge. Whats that all about?
I think all concert prices have risen sharply over the last two years as live shows have now become the major source of income for many artists. Ticket prices depend on the deal between management and promotor, and from reading other posts, the Hop Farm promotor would have been a driving force behind the pricing!

Finally, at least the ticket includes parking unlike many other venues where the parking fee has been eyewatering.
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

stargazer61 wrote:I think all concert prices have risen sharply over the last two years as live shows have now become the major source of income for many artists. Ticket prices depend on the deal between management and promotor, and from reading other posts, the Hop Farm promotor would have been a driving force behind the pricing!....
Really angry about the pricing - they are having a laugh. These prices are getting ridiculous. Everyone else is in recession and happy to get a 1% pay rise if we're lucky and then tickets cost 30-40% more.

Reminds me of the ridiculous house price rises - as long someone is willing to pay the prices won't come down.

I am sure that even a slightly more moderate ticket price would ensure that neither the promoter nor the artists etc would have a good enough income.
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

osmachar wrote:
stargazer61 wrote:I think all concert prices have risen sharply over the last two years as live shows have now become the major source of income for many artists. Ticket prices depend on the deal between management and promotor, and from reading other posts, the Hop Farm promotor would have been a driving force behind the pricing!....
Really angry about the pricing - they are having a laugh. These prices are getting ridiculous. Everyone else is in recession and happy to get a 1% pay rise if we're lucky and then tickets cost 30-40% more.

Reminds me of the ridiculous house price rises - as long someone is willing to pay the prices won't come down.

I am sure that even a slightly more moderate ticket price would ensure that neither the promoter nor the artists etc would have a good enough income.

That is the whole trouble. If they know the tickets will sell, they can charge whatever they like.
It is called GREED.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
Wirebird

Post by Wirebird »

I will be going to the Hop Farm concert. Are there any nice hotels or B6Bs close to the venue?
Will it maybe be easier to stay in London and travel to the venue by public transport on the day of the concert?
85: Oslo 88: Oslo (2x) 93: Oslo 08: Gothenburg 09: Langesund; Bratislava; Prague 10: Malmø; Oslo; Oakland (2x); Las Vegas (2x)
12: Ghent (2x); Halden; Gothenburg; Helsinki; London; Verona; Paris (2x); Lisboa; Montreal (2x); Quebec; NYC; Brooklyn
13: Memphis, New Orleans, Louisville, London (2x), Antwerp, Mannheim, Brussels, Rome, Pula, Stockholm, Odense, Oslo, Bournemouth, Brighton, Birmingham, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Wellington (2x), Auckland.
stargazer61

Post by stargazer61 »

Wirebird wrote:I will be going to the Hop Farm concert. Are there any nice hotels or B6Bs close to the venue?
Will it maybe be easier to stay in London and travel to the venue by public transport on the day of the concert?
I don't know how helpful the following will be but here goes:

During The Hop Farm Festival, there is a shuttle bus running between the site and the nearest train station at Paddock Wood, however on checking the Hop Farm website, it appears that this special service does not run for one-off concerts. Apparently there is a special arrangement with Streamline taxis to take people from the station to events for a very cheap fare of £4 one way. (how many people will be trying to get a taxi though? it is only a small station!) Your could try contacting the Hop Farm direct on either 01622 872068 or info@thehopfarm.co.uk. to see if other special arrangements will be made.

Next problem...as far as I can determine, the last train from Paddock Wood back to London on saturdays is at 22.10. As you would have to get from the site to the station ...approx 2 mile walk, then that does not seem to be an viable option. Anyway it would mean leaving the concert way before the end. (although I have yet to find out what time the concert starts - the gates open at 3pm but I am presuming the concert does not start until early evening).

There is an Arriva bus service from Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge, and Maidstone (Bus no. 6) but I think the last service from the Hop Farm is at 21.57. Not good!

It would seem that your best option is firstly to ring or email the Hop Farm and ask for advice. They should be able to give you better details than I can about any special transport arrangements. However, personally, I would not like to be worrying throughout the concert about how I was going to get back to London along with the thousands of others! I would to find a B & B or small hotel and hire a car for the weekend.

Try these sites:
http://www.visittunbridgewells.com/site ... -breakfast

http://www.bedandbreakfast-directory.co ... ounty=kent

http://www.bedandbreakfast-directory.co ... =Maidstone

I hope the information above is correct especailly about the train and bus times.

Reading the above back to myself, it does seem to very unsatisfactory that there appears to be very poor transport from the Hop Farm. I guess most people drive - perhaps that is why car parking is included in the ticket fee!!

Perhaps other people on here will be able to provide better or more up-to-date information.
Good luck and let me know if I can be of further help.
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.
bean

Post by bean »

^ There will be a courtesy shuttle bus to and from the train station.

http://adayatthehopfarm.com/?page_id=18

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”