UK CONCERTS

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
DMark

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by DMark »

I remember Weybridge as a great evening. I honestly cannot remember the bad weather. I understand in hindsight that there was a lot of rain. I just remember a great afternoon and evening of music. Suzanne Vega was on stage before LC. Hopefully Hop Farm will be idyllic weather, but if it turns out to be torrential rain...what the heck..why be anywhere else on the planet that evening?
stargazer61

Post by stargazer61 »

DMark wrote:I remember Weybridge as a great evening. I honestly cannot remember the bad weather. I understand in hindsight that there was a lot of rain. I just remember a great afternoon and evening of music. Suzanne Vega was on stage before LC. Hopefully Hop Farm will be idyllic weather, but if it turns out to be torrential rain...what the heck..why be anywhere else on the planet that evening?
summed up perfectly! :D
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2009 Liverpool. Weybridge. Paris. Barcelona
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley »

John Etherington wrote:...and to think people were screaming "capitalist pigs!" and tearing down fences because it cost £3.00 for a weekend ticket to the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970!
Haha---I wondered what happened to them????? ;-)
dharma

Post by dharma »

DMark wrote:I remember Weybridge as a great evening. I honestly cannot remember the bad weather.
It WAS a great evening!

Fortunately, it only started raining heavily near the end of the concert. I remember it being chilly though, Leonard wore a scarf round his neck. There was a great moment when Leonard looked up to the sky and sang the line "to wash my eyelids in the rain" with extra gusto and a big cheer went up from the crowd. :D

I missed Suzanne Vega because I was stuck in traffic. I was listening to LBC in the car on the way to the concert and on came a travel bulletin saying there was a tailback on the A3 stretching back to the M25 due to a Leonard Cohen concert - not something you hear every day! :D
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
bean

Post by bean »

^ I like Suzanne Vega. Seen her a few times over the years since the late 80's.

Always done a very good set when I have seen her with some nice stories thrown in as well.
catswhiskers

Post by catswhiskers »

ANOTHER Dublin date,I see :cry: :cry:
I wonder when venues for 2013 will be announced??? I guess around this time next year?? I am SO scared I may miss something--so have to check daily!! Any one else as daft as that???
catswhiskers

Post by catswhiskers »

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!
Was reading through other postings re,tickets on sale on E-bay--and thought I would just check it out.
Hop Farm 500 pounds for a pair of tickets!!
The world is going MAD!!!!
stargazer61

Post by stargazer61 »

catswhiskers wrote:I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!
Was reading through other postings re,tickets on sale on E-bay--and thought I would just check it out.
Hop Farm 500 pounds for a pair of tickets!!
The world is going MAD!!!!

and on some ticket selling sites, tickets for the 'golden square' section of the Olympia in Paris are gpoing for £750 each!!! Lunacy!

However, and I do hate myself for saying this, reading those prices, it did cross my mind that if I had bought 4 good tickets instead of 2 cheap ones, then selling 2 would have covered the cost of my own tickets, the hotel and train, and money over for another concert! I feel bad thinking that as it would be such an abuse of the presale, but it does go to show what easy profit can be made from a few minutes on a computer.

Oh, and I think you are certainly not alone in checking here daily! Nothing daft about it!
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2009 Liverpool. Weybridge. Paris. Barcelona
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

Very surprised to read all the negativity surrounding this gig. Was the Isle of Wight gig in 1970 not outdoors? Can anyone say that was anything other than fantastic?

I'd take Leonard's music drifting through a night sky, with all of creation as the audience over confining it to a souless jailhouse like the O2 every time.

We can recreate that moment in the Isle of Wight all those years ago, twinkling like fireflies - only this time holding aloft our iphones rather than matches :lol:

I know we're getting older now, but lets for one night put our worries about busy trains, a spot of rain and queues to get out of car parks to one side. And I'm sure leonard will apologise for our financial inconvenience...

these are opportunities that with every passing year become less and less likely to be repeated. To complain that the circumstances are not exaclty as we would like them to be seems perverse to me.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Very surprised to read all the negativity surrounding this gig. Was the Isle of Wight gig in 1970 not outdoors? Can anyone say that was anything other than fantastic?
Well I was 21 at the time of that festival. I have said it on here before, I did not go there for Leonard Cohen, although I had albums and books by him by then. My belief is that not that many went with the specific purpose of just seeing L.C. As for fantastic, well at 21 and free and easy, yep, it was great fun but by the time LC finally come on, I can think of other words to describe the gig and sorry, "fantastic" would not be high on the list. 8)

We have several open air festivals in Brittany, in fact this year, Bob Dylan is headlining one of them but the thought of being in an open field and standing is what might be a rather muddy and cold field, is simply not a player for me, sorry. BUT you must remember, Hop Farm is not just an open field, nor a festival but for L.C a gig in it's own right with seats for the paying clients. That would have been sheer luxury on the IOW :lol:

Sorry but 60+ year olds can never recreate what once was decades before. That time was for some of us, one helluva journey but it would be a pitiful sight too see it being recreated by a bunch of pensioners :lol:
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

leonard is a pensioner and still creates that magic on stage, why cant we in the audience? Do not be a slave to your birthdate!
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

catswhiskers wrote:ANOTHER Dublin date,I see :cry: :cry:
I wonder when venues for 2013 will be announced??? I guess around this time next year?? I am SO scared I may miss something--so have to check daily!! Any one else as daft as that???
I had been checking twice a day ever since we - the UK - were snubbed on the last tour. Did not make much difference though as we are more or less still waitng.....
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

snubbed! such sad inappropriate words being used in this thread

how are we still waiting? How many times has the UK been blessed by leonard in the last 10 years? Have we not got a fantastic THREE HOUR gig lined up?

the tone of this thread is no good
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

songwriter wrote:leonard is a pensioner and still creates that magic on stage, why cant we in the audience? Do not be a slave to your birthdate!
Or act your age, not your shoe size :lol:
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

lightasabreeze wrote:
catswhiskers wrote:ANOTHER Dublin date,I see :cry: :cry:
I had been checking twice a day ever since we - the UK - were snubbed on the last tour. Did not make much difference though as we are more or less still waitng.....
How many times does it have to be posted?

L.C will be back to the UK at some stage on this tour, next year perhaps, that is almost a 100% guarantee. I do agree though, Hop Farm is no substitute for many people. Anyone who thinks that the possibility of being soaked, endless queues and a long time getting away and high prices for such a gig will be fun, is perhaps not so much deluded but have serious delusions as to what one has to suffer to see L.C.

My advice, is to wait and see, or in the words of jarkko, BE PATIENT. ;-)
Neil from The Young Ones

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”