My connection with The Faith

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
Andrew (Darby)

My connection with The Faith

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

In one of my earlier listenings l reflected on how much I enjoy The Faith and how it reminded me in places of one of the tracks on Recent Songs (The Window), when it later dawned on me (upon reading the CD booklet and credits) that it is this track on DH where Leonard resurrects his old friends from the RS album and tour era (including the superb violinist, Raffi Hakopian). :D Of course the connection I made between the two then fell into place for me! :roll:

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
linmag

Post by linmag »

Well spotted, Andrew. I remember thinking that the violin on that track was very good, but I hadn't got round to checking the credits.

BTW has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a second male vocalist on Nightingale, but according to the credits there's only LC and Anjani. I wondered if Adam had sneaked into the recording studio while no-one was looking :lol:
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
margaret

Post by margaret »

I think it's his own voice overlaid onto the track.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

I've been looking forward to that track since I read the listing of contributors. This is the night before Christmas for me (who's been able to peek into the packages briefly!).

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

For sure, Joe. Excellent analogy 8) .
linmag

Post by linmag »

Do you think Leonard can still reach those notes, Margaret? I swear if his voice gets any lower it will be sub-sonic. We won't be able to hear him any more - we'll just feel him vibrating through us. (I'm going to stop that thought, right there :oops: )
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
linmag

Post by linmag »

:oops: I just read Anjani's interview, and apparently Leonard can reach those notes again now. So that puts me in my place. :oops:
Linda

margaret

Post by margaret »

Thanks Linda, I only just saw from your post that there was an Anjani interview, which I've now read. So he's given up smoking again :?: It won't last :lol: Nice to know there is so much new work in progress .
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

linmag wrote:
has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a second male vocalist on Nightingale, but according to the credits there's only LC and Anjani.
Thank God somebody noticed that! Jurica and I wondered about that for days. She did say in the interview it's L's bariton (or tenor :oops: ), but still, did he acting his voice for years do be like we think it is? Jurica even thought it was some crazy outtake from mid 70s (songs certailny sounds like that - but we know now that the lyrics were really written then). The second idea was that this is synthesized vocal in computer.

I STILL hear some second male voice there.
linmag

Post by linmag »

It certainly sounds like Leonard's voice as it was years ago. What I can't understand is, if he is once again capable of singing in his tenor range, why does he insist in rumbling around in the basement and sub-basement so much on this album?
Linda

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Intimacy is always finer in lower registers, Linmag :D . This is a deeply intimate album. Sexual aspects are included in that, as well.
margaret

Post by margaret »

I'm sure he knows full well the impact of his deeper rumblings on his fans and uses it deliberately! :wink:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh yes, I have no doubt of that, as well, Margaret....not to mention the impact of it on his songs and his poetry. In his youth-years study of hypnotism, I'm certain a tenor voice was not suggested over a smooth, mellow bass ~ if at all possible ~ which it clearly is, at this point.
andrew

THE FAITH

Post by andrew »

Is "The Faith" Leonard's greatest song ever?

also-if anyone is depressed out there-read Leonard's"Book of

Mercy"-it will catch you as you fall:

"Blessed are you who has given each man a shield of
loneliness so that he cannot forget you.You are the truth of
loneliness,and only your name addresses it.Strengthen my
loneliness that I may behealed in youe name,which is
beyond all consolations that are uttered on this earth.
Only in your name can I stand in the rush of time,only
when this loneliness is yours can I lift my sins toward your
mercy."
a.rogers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Andrew ~

I don't have the answer to your question, and won't until Leonard's last song has been written, and I've listened, to know better how I may feel. However, as I listen right now to "The Faith;" experience tears that want to break through my chills; consider its scope; and feel its gentle majesty, I understand your asking the question.

~ Elizabeth

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”