Violinists on Old Ideas - questions

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
B4real

Violinists on Old Ideas - questions

Post by B4real »

I have just collected my copy of Old Ideas from my local record shop and am looking at the third last page which has who did what on the album.

Firstly, I know I have asked previously for info on Bela Santelli who plays violin on three songs - Going Home, Show Me The Place and Come Healing. So far none has been forthcoming on the forum or on the net. I really would appreciate any details if they were available.

Secondly, Robert Korda (OBM) who is acknowledged as playing the violin on Amen I have a few questions about. On the net the only Robert Korda who was a violinist I can find was from LA and has been deceased since 2009. If the letters after his name (OBM) means 'Of Blessed Memory" then maybe it is he. I don't know if this is true or even possible. My assumption is that if he is in fact the violinist on Amen then it would had to have been recorded in 2009.

Some links below found while searching for Robert Korda:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/OBM.html

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.c ... sed+Memory

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culture ... -dead.html

The above about Robert Korda is purely conjecture on my part for someone to confirm or deny the above queries.

Maybe they are both simply friends of Leonard's or any of the others involved in the production of this album and there is just no previous record available of their violin playing. It would be nice to have some information and clarification.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
tomsakic

Re: Violinists on Old Ideas - questions

Post by tomsakic »

Well, I wondered what "OBM" means, thanks, B4real.

Amen was recorded in 2007, according to the original PR release from November 2011:
Early versions of two album tracks, "Amen" and "Lullaby" were originally recorded in 2007, while early versions of “Lullaby” and “ The Darkness” were performed live during Cohen's recently concluded, sold-out world tour.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Tom,

It seems that we've both helped each other :)

Now, see if you can find any info about Bela Santelli :razz:

Bev
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

tomsakic wrote:
Amen was recorded in 2007, according to the original PR release from November 2011:
Interesting thread - I was wondering why most of the musicians credited for this track did not contribute to any other. Still wondering about that lovely trumpet solo - more likely to be "real" than synthesised, so? Maybe one credit just got mislaid?
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
metrichansen

Post by metrichansen »

That's not a trumpet - that's LC battling it out on the keyboard - clumsily like on "Tower" - why doesn't hé just get the recording company to pay for a proper musician....
metrichansen

Post by metrichansen »

I can't figure why they don't just get a good muted trumpet player - I live in Denmark and we've Got six hundred people here WHO play a mean muted trumpet - why can't LC find one in LA....?
metrichansen

Post by metrichansen »

It's fucking sloppy - that's what it is - this guy writer the Best songs in the world and hé doesn't get a proper trumpet player...
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Dino is definitely the master of wind instruments, and this is very interesting. Why Dino (who was one of the producers of this album) did not do the trumpet, is difficult to understand.
metrichansen

Post by metrichansen »

Seriously - hé should have his own band of expert jazz players
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

X - removed my comments.
Last edited by ladydi on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metrichansen

Post by metrichansen »

I really Am sorry - never meant to discredit LC in any Way - I have after all been a fan for 40 yeats or so - still it sometimes irritates me that cheap production values again and again tend to undermine this artist's overall sound, when few investments in musicianship could have broadened our enjoyment of his body of work
metrichansen

Post by metrichansen »

And concerning the sloppy part - I just think they should have given him a Real trumpet - that's all
metrichansen

Post by metrichansen »

He still is the best
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Yes.....he is.
metrichansen

Post by metrichansen »

Like you Said yourself - that Dino guy - i know Leonard isn't sloppy