Your Old Ideas listening plans?

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
scocoh

Your Old Ideas listening plans?

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonnie Falafel

Re: Your Old Ideas listening plans?

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

I will go into Arezzo and buy the CD from shop like we used to do in the old days. I like to see the displays and I like to have hard copy in my hands! Will probably play it in the car on the return and then for the rest of the day.
Juan

Post by Juan »

I plan to listen to all Cohen albums in a row.
hophead

Post by hophead »

I will not listen to it until I purchase a copy.
I will put in on and sit back with a glass or 3 of 40 Creek and take it in...
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Heading to the nearest record store in the morning to buy it and then home for a couple of listens before work and then straight home after work to enjoy a few more listens with a glass of wine in hand! Will probably listen to it in full 3 or 4 times and then to each song on repeat a few times and then back to in full a few times! Have got into the habit of doing it this way for reviews and find it the best way for me to listen and learn the songs. :)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

The usual ritual...I'll buy a copy in Central London on Monday, then listen to it twice in the evening with a bottle of red wine (reading the words as I listen). I'll probably then play it almost every day for the next couple of weeks. I always listen to Leonard albums in their entirety when I'm still absorbing them, and never allow any interruptions. I've only heard the three main previewed tracks once (haven't heard "Amen" yet), so I'm looking forward to the great event. I still remember my first listen to "Songs of Love and Hate" in 1971. I had a group of friends round that night, and made them sit in total silence while it was played. I put a black bag from One Stop Records over the light bulb to dim the room sufficiently. This was an idea I repeated a few times, until one of them caught fire!
Clementine

Post by Clementine »

Wanting to be alone for the grand revelation, I played my review copy in the car going home from work and everything was wonderful - I'd heard 'Going Home' and 'Show Me the Place' streaming before, after all, and Amen made me chuckle. But when 'Come Healing' began, so did my tears, and luckily by the time Leonard joined in with the Webb Sisters, I'd found a quiet place to pull over and weep. I don't think I have ever been quite so profoundly moved by a song of his, and I've been passionate about our man for quarter of a century now. 'Come Healing' is truly, utterly divine. As a result my review to be published next week recommends Sony add a sticker to each copy; Warning: “People who are prone to floods of emotion should avoid driving, or operating machinery, while listening to these songs for the first time.”
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Clementine wrote:Wanting to be alone for the grand revelation, I played my review copy in the car going home from work and everything was wonderful - I'd heard 'Going Home' and 'Show Me the Place' streaming before, after all, and Amen made me chuckle. But when 'Come Healing' began, so did my tears, and luckily by the time Leonard joined in with the Webb Sisters, I'd found a quiet place to pull over and weep. I don't think I have ever been quite so profoundly moved by a song of his, and I've been passionate about our man for quarter of a century now. 'Come Healing' is truly, utterly divine. As a result my review to be published next week recommends Sony add a sticker to each copy; Warning: “People who are prone to floods of emotion should avoid driving, or operating machinery, while listening to these songs for the first time.”
According to the sleeve notes that is Dana Clover singing the vocals on Come Healing but I was convinced it was The Webb Sisters and was surprised when I didn't see them listed for this song. Almost through my second listening of the album and like you it has moved me to tears. It is simply amazing in every aspect from lyrics to melody and from Leonard's vocals to the vocals of Sharon, Jennifer, Anjani,The Webb Sisters and Dana. I agree with you this album should have the warning attached ;-)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

scocoh wrote:What are your listening plans for Old Ideas??
I have no great plans as a) I have already listened to the streamed album and b) I am travelling so I probably won't get to hear the real thing until I get home on Feb 6.

However, you have such a great plan for your first listen Scott that, if you don't mind, I would like to share your first listen experience vicariously. Or, more likely as I don't want to intrude on a private moment, your first listen in the car as you take your long drive around the island.
scocoh wrote:*I will use my portable CD player, get my good headphones and go sit with my wife (those of you who know me know what I mean). I will enjoy the breeze and quiet and let the album play once all the way through without any stopping or repeating. I'll probably do this twice thru, then go back and listen to particular songs in any order I feel like -- probably listening to certain songs repeated several times.

*I will put the CD in the car stereo but not listen there until I can take the time to go on a long drive up and around the island-- probably just North Shore and back.
It's got to beat Glasgow in the wind, rain and snow!

Wendy
mericege

Post by mericege »

Hopefull when i get the cd in my hands on February 3 here in Turkey, i will put it on my hi-fi stereo system in my living room. My stereo system consists of : Onkyo CD player,Quad 909 Stereo Power Amp,Quad QC twentyfour pre-amp, and Definitive BP 2004 floor standing speakers.

I will turn the volume up, take a glass of red wine and relax...
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

Not only did I listen to it online, but I even downloaded it illegally because I had no patience, especially when so many other simply got it earlier. And I didn't feel guilty at all because I have already paid a month's pocket money to buy the album and the lithograph..
So far I keep listening so hard that it hurts, but I am careful not to get tired of it, so every now and then I listen to something else (LC or not). :)

My plans for next week, when I will hopefully have the CD in my hands is to buy a pack of cigarettes and a bottle of wine and invite one of my closest friends to share the experience of the album with me. Sounds like a good plan to both of us! :razz:
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I listened to Old Ideas on Monday, and it went like this: I waited until I got home from work, I sat on my bed (alone) with the lights low (it was dark by then), I plugged my headphones into my computer, pressed "play," and just savoured every beautiful moment! I had my eyes closed almost the entire time (so, even if I'd had the CD in my hands, I would not have been looking at it). I was blown away by the magnificence of this album, it is truly a masterpiece. For those 42 minutes, I hung on every amazing word, and was truly "swept along" as Leonard himself described it. I had tears in my eyes on more than one occasion, when I was overwhelmed by the incredible genius and talent of Leonard Cohen, to have created such a remarkable album. There were also a lot of smiles (more smiles than tears!). After my first listen, I floated around the house for awhile, had dinner, and then went back to my room for another listen. The second time, I had a martini in hand (classic dry gin), and again savoured every glorious moment. I love this album, it is absolutely brilliant!
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

Mabeanie1 wrote:...your first listen in the car as you take your long drive around the island.

Wendy
:) I'll be thinking of you, Wendy.

(chuckle) I have discovered there is sort of an art to my Leonard/driving experiences here. It consists of three important parts: You have to find the right balance of 1) paying attention to the road and 2) enjoying the scenery--- both mauka and makai--- and 3) letting yourself be taken away by Leonard's music. If you do all three correctly it works out really well. The trick is to not try to orchestrate any particular song with any stretch of scenery or mood. Just let it play and it all falls into place.
Clementine

Post by Clementine »

Clementine wrote:Wanting to be alone for the grand revelation, I played my review copy in the car going home from work and everything was wonderful - I'd heard 'Going Home' and 'Show Me the Place' streaming before, after all, and Amen made me chuckle. But when 'Come Healing' began, so did my tears, and luckily by the time Leonard joined in with the Webb Sisters, I'd found a quiet place to pull over and weep. I don't think I have ever been quite so profoundly moved by a song of his, and I've been passionate about our man for quarter of a century now. 'Come Healing' is truly, utterly divine. As a result my review to be published next week recommends Sony add a sticker to each copy; Warning: “People who are prone to floods of emotion should avoid driving, or operating machinery, while listening to these songs for the first time.”
Oh goodness! Thanks to the person who pointed out it wasn't the Webbs. Hopefully I can change that before the magazine goes to the printers. I would have sworn on a stack of bibles it was those two - and if Leonard tours with this album they'd certainly be perfect in that part.

Has Dana Glover worked with Leonard before? What a wonderful voice!
sbreen

Post by sbreen »

I listened to the tracks as they became available and then listened with the words in front of me (altering the ones I felt sure were not right with those early releases).

I couldn't wait for my pre-ordered copy once the whole album was 'out' on the net.

I listened to the whole album twice (to get the 'flavour') then listened to each track multiple times (for familiarity with each song).

I have my favourites - including the ones I 'knew' before they were confirmed as being on the album that are old friends. (Darkness and Show me the Place.)

However, there isn't a track that I find weaker than the others - nor a track I think doesn't belong.
(Initially I thought Banjo was a little 'light' - but that track has really grown on me.)

I still wish that one more could have been added though - I now need to wait for the next album to be able to include "Feels so good" in my playlist.

Return to “OLD IDEAS”