New bootleg live CD: 'Back In The Motherland'

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Hartmut

New bootleg live CD: 'Back In The Motherland'

Post by Hartmut »

There is a new LC live CD announced:

'Back In The Motherland' (a 1988 Toronto Broadcast)

http://www.spincds.com/blog/2011/10/10/ ... dio-shows/

http://www.spincds.com/coming-soon/back ... motherland
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: New LC live CD announced: 'Back In The Motherland'

Post by jarkko »

This "new" release is far from being any new album!
It was first released in 1993 by an Italian bootlegger, International Broadcoast Recordings (should probably be Broadcast?!), with the title "Warm Reception", Cat # IBR 2165.
See www.leonardcohenfiles.com/bootleg2.html
The 1993 release was an unaothorized bootleg recorded from a live FM broadcast in Toronto, and I am quite sure this "new" one is just a copy of either the 1993 CD or some master recording.
Marie already checked with Robert Kory and learned that Leonard's management has nothing to do with the project.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

This "new" release is far from being any new album!
It was first released in 1993 by an Italian bootlegger,
Interesting. - Thanks, Jarkko!
anirban0303

Post by anirban0303 »

I just received a copy of this CD from chromedreams.
The recording is quite good and the packaging is nice.
Bird off the Wire

Post by Bird off the Wire »

This album is from a crowd called 'Leftfield' and I picked one up to-day, along with one on Bruce Springsteen called Bound For Glory - radio broadcasts from the Boss in 1973, one from Boston and other from the Main Point. I bought both in HMV so I'm guessing no copyright or legal infractions.
medicinejar

Post by medicinejar »

I have to say I refuse to buy bootlegs as I see it as someone trying to make money off an artists work without compensating them. That said, I have a lot of free bootlegs I have downloaded mostly from dimeadozen.org . For those who don't know about them, you might want to check it out (though it takes some persistence to get a membership as they have it capped but memberships regularly expire).

Essentially Dime will only allow Torrents to be posted of material that has not been commercially released. All commercially released material, or material that is very close to the commercially released material, is banned as are any music by artists or record companies that object to anything being on there (not many do). The over-whelming majority of music companies and artists tend to look the other way when it comes to Dime, I think, because it undermines the selling of bootlegs.

If you have any good Leonard bootlegs you might consider "liberating" them from the for sale market and make them available to fans for free via Dime and similar sites.

Cheers
Rebecka

Post by Rebecka »

I just got this CD and I love it!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Me being completist, I bought this CD.

It is basically burned from the circulating CDR with the 1988 radio broadcast from Toronto. This CDR exists from early 1990s.

In recent years, the late Artur (banalny) uploaded to dimeadozen much cleaner and better 2CD master version with full broadcast, an interview from the radio station which broad-casted it, in correct song order, and in much better sound quality. You can get it THIS IS SPAM!, as you can get this FM version.

To conclude, Chrome Dreams simply duplicated the 1993 Italian bootleg, in FM quality, without any remastering, and released it unofficially to earn some money on Leonard's new popularity. If the people at that fake company know about dimeadozen, they would release much better shows. The same fake company which released Classic Interviews, also copied from an existing fan-made compilation CDR. Maybe it's better that they don't use dimedozen as their source.

Both versions, 1993 1CDR version, and 2000s 2CD master version, are available for free on sites like dime. No need to give an extra money to company like Chrome Dreams, responsible for couple of cheap DVDs, CDs and books about Leonard Cohen recently.
richardrj

Re: New bootleg live CD: 'Back In The Motherland'

Post by richardrj »

This is coming out on vinyl for Record Store Day in a limited edition of 500 copies. Not sure if it's an official release or not.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

It is not - Leonard is officially releasing "Live in Fredericton EP" to support Record Store Day. That release is listen on Record Store Day 2012 website. This possible vinyl release of this 1988 radio bootleg is NOT.

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

and Leonard's release at http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/5233

So there is no mention of Toronto 1988 LP as being official or anyhow connected to Record Store Day campaign.
richardrj

Post by richardrj »

Maybe you should check your facts before posting? I'm not talking about the American Record Store Day, I'm talking about the British and European Record Store Days, both of which list Back In The Motherland on vinyl:

http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-product.aspx

http://www.recordstoredaygermany.de/?page_id=12

And finally here is the label that is releasing it (clearly not an official release):

http://www.letthemeatvinyl.com/
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

richardrj wrote:This is coming out on vinyl for Record Store Day in a limited edition of 500 copies. Not sure if it's an official release or not.
Thanks, Richard - you did not say it is UK's Record Store Day. (And to be honest, I did not know there is a UK RS Day... in my part of Europe it surely does not exist, not in that way.)

Judging from the label's title, and by the fact that the 2011 CD release was unofficial rip off from the previous radio bootleg, I presume it is not authorised release.

Anyhow, the quality is too low to buy in on vinyl... As I wrote above, there is much better and complete soundboard of the show which was available on DiLeCo project at Dime.

Return to “News”