World tour or not 2012

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
JudasPriest

World tour or not 2012

Post by JudasPriest »

It's going to happen.
Anthony AY

Re: World tour or not 2012

Post by Anthony AY »

Hi folks

I think we have a fair chance, that Leonard and his band will make a tour next year. I would persume, due to his age, that it will not be on such a scale as in the years 2008-2010, but still a considerable number of gigs across the globe.

They will make a tour because I never saw people playing and singing so intensely, deeply, thoroughly as Leonard with his band last year. So the thought of seeing a concert of Leonard and his Band once more exhilarates me to the upmost. And if they don´t come I still deem myself happy, because I was there ...

In Germany you "press your thumbs" (die Daumen drücken) if you want something particular to happen. And that´s what I will do.

Greetings from Anthony
(in Bremen, Germany)
marylamb

Post by marylamb »

jontas wrote:I absolutely think there will be a tour, or at the very least, a couple of shows. Why else would they have built a tour section into his new website? As a programmer I can say from experience we don't like building features for no reason that will never be used (not to mention the cost to build).
Very well spotted,jontas, I absolutly agree :D :D :D ;-)
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

jontas wrote:I absolutely think there will be a tour, or at the very least, a couple of shows. Why else would they have built a tour section into his new website? As a programmer I can say from experience we don't like building features for no reason that will never be used (not to mention the cost to build).
Time to remember that, so far as I am aware, www.leonardcohen.com is owned and managed by Sony, NOT by Leonard or his management. As such, they have little more informaton that we do. They have simply built the new website to a blue print to include what they think might be needed and what it might be nice to have and, yes, will have included features which may very well not be used e.g. the presales tab (presales have never taken place through the official website in the past. They have been provided to the fans via this forum). If, as Robert has just reconfirmed to Jarkko (see situation on Madison thread) Leonard has genuinely not made up his mind whether he wants to go back on tour, you can be certain that Sony does not have have additional knowledge on the need for a tour page. It's simply that most artists need a tour page so they built one. No more, no less.

Wendy
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Absolutely, Wendy.

Also, this can be a commercial trick. Very cruel commercial trick in order to multiply speculations on LC (album+tour/even/under/question is better than album solely).
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Good point Roman. After all, this is Sony we're talking about ....

W
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well parsed, Wendy.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

I have put a tour on my Christmas wish list, and seeing as Santa Claus resides in Northern Finland and is assisted by Jarkko, my wish list will be fulfilled.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

JD I hope very much that you included The UK on your Christmas List for a tour. !!!!!
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
Cate

Post by Cate »

Mabeanie1 wrote: If, as Robert has just reconfirmed to Jarkko (see situation on Madison thread) Leonard has genuinely not made up his mind whether he wants to go back on tour, you can be certain that Sony does not have have additional knowledge on the need for a tour page...
I was just thinking the same thing while reading through the thread - I'm sure Sony would be thrilled but it's really up to Leonard. Perhaps it's just a matter of one thing at a time. It seems that Leonard and his family have been extremely busy over the last couple of years (an understatement). My guess, if we're guessing, is that he'll decide after the album has been released.
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Hello ligtas a breeze,
the good news is I am retiring on 22nd December so can get to any concert destination incl. UK. My wish includes the whole world.
Best wishes
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
cpl593h

Post by cpl593h »

if we all calm down and this about this sensibly there is no way we can really think there will be a tour.

Leonard himself admitted that his financial circumstances prompted the last tour and it was so huge that he must feel he has done all his touring now. after all, he was never a 'tour-album-tour' artist anyway. with 15 (?) years between the last tour and the previous one why would we think another is round the corner?

i saw five gigs on the last tour and am reconciling myself with that being all i will ever see

i am so certain he won't be playing live again on any regular kind of basis that if he tours i will bite the back of my own head!
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

cpl593h wrote: i am so certain he won't be playing live again on any regular kind of basis that if he tours i will bite the back of my own head!
That I will have to see................OK if I am the agent for ticket sales to see this phenomenal trick? :lol:
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

There is a difference between HAVING do to a tour due to finances, which he had to do, and actually ENJOYING touring.
I saw him four times on the last tour, surely I did not imagine that he was really enjoying himself. (or else he is also a very good actor)
I agree he has done enough, but maybe he would LIKE to do a smaller tour, he obviously got a buzz from it.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

lightasabreeze,

That is what I said in a post a shot while ago. The "buzz" one gets from an audience, dare I say, generally an adoring audience in the case of L.C, is something that drives a performer on. I will stick with my thoughts that only health reasons will stop another tour and like others have said, just as I did, nothing so grand as the last 2008-10 tour.

Remember when the last tour had a cancellation for 6 months, well that episode showed just how quickly new dates can be set up and indeed, more dates can be arranged whilst on the road. So those that believe it can't be done due to time scales, well it doesn't take that long to get a tour on the road. Actually I wouldn't have thought that any of the other "Unified Hearts" are so booked up that they won't forego for playing with L.C again.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones

Return to “Comments & Questions”