2012 Leonard Cohen Event

The Madison Event - before and after
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: 2012 Leonard Cohen Event

Post by jarkko »

www.leonardcohenfiles.com/madison-index.html
More information will be posted soon when the registration opens!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Registration open!

Payment made!

Hope to see you in Madison!

Wendy
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi all,
Yes, the registration is now open! The question has come up about using Paypal for payment for U. S. participants-the answer is yes, but it costs more in fees so a check would be preferable. Of course, those outside of the U. S. must use Paypal.

Vern Silver from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario is here with me now and enjoying himself in Madison very much. I will let him post about his trip, but he agrees that it is a fun, vibrant destination with an atmosphere that will be very conducive to the nature of our events.

Anne and I were in Chicago a couple of weeks ago for the Rufus Wainwright concert at Ravinia and we took the opportunity to take the architectural boat trip which we enjoyed very much. Chicago, of course, is famous for its Blues clubs and we will be investigating a good place to spend an evening prior to beginning the event in Madison. Chicago is about three hours by bus from Madison and is a great destination in its own right. For those who are traveling internationally, consider taking a few days in Chicago to visit the "city of big shoulders" as Carl Sandburg called it.

Tomorrow, Anne & I are taking Vern to Taliesin, the home of the famous architect, Frank Lloyd Wright. We will include an optional tour of Taliesin after the event in Madison.

Another possible excursion for those who are coming--consider visiting another U. S. city. Anne & I are joining some friends, during the first week of October and taking the "City of New Orleans" train made famous by the Steve Goodman song. We will stop in Memphis, Tennessee for a couple of nights to visit Beale Street and Graceland and eat their famous barbeque at Rendezvous Ribs. Then we will get back on the train and travel to New Orleans for a visit to the French Quarter. You could fly into Chicago and fly out of New Orleans.

The organizing committee will be working hard to put together a good program for the Event and we will update you as we go along and confirm things.

All the best,

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Caren

Post by Caren »

From what I have heard about Joe this will be yet another great event. Thanks to Joe and everyone for going through the trouble and effort it takes to organize this.

All paid and set to go.

And yes, Hans and I are going. all just decided a minute ago. Someone asked me during the Haiger LC walking weekend if we were to go and I said 'hmmm, not sure, maybe' which caused a smile and that someone said 'oh great, knowing you this means you ARE going'. Well, obviously that person knew me better than I know myself 8) I wish I could remember who this was. Willy maybe?

See you all there. All good things!
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

NO DOUBT it was Willy 8) .
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lennycohenfan

Post by lennycohenfan »

Looking forward to seeing those I met in Hydra this past June and meeting others I have never met. Todd
St Louis 2009, Hydra Meet Up 2011, Memphis 2013
Pawel Gorny

Post by Pawel Gorny »

Reactivation!

Now You may register using http://leonardcohenevent.info/
Soon there will be more information about the Event.
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Hey Joe n Anne,

As I said a while ago on another thread, I'm definitely up for flying out to the States next late July, and attending Lenny's 8th Event in Madison. So please count me in. Couple of things - I can't register officially yet as I have no idea how to pay by Paypal, so will need a little time to figure that out.

Also, Madison is not on a direct flight from London as far as I have been able to find out, so your advice would be welcome - if I fly to Chicago, which I may be able to purchase cheaper as I think there is a direct flight, is it viable to get to Madison from there by some form of public transport (and back!), or is that not such a good idea? (time, hassle, cost etc)

Sue
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Suemerlyn wrote: is it viable to get to Madison from there by some form of public transport (and back!), or is that not such a good idea? (time, hassle, cost etc)

Sue
I have been wondering that too. Is it possible / feasible to make the journey by train or bus? Failing that, I imagine there will be some car sharing possibilities.

So far as accommodation is concerned, I have no idea yet what my dates will be so I am planning to book the Lowell Center for the "standard" dates of Aug 1 - 6. I assume it will be possible to change my dates (or cancel) if my plans change?

Wendy
Cate

Post by Cate »

It seems funny to planning hotel stays so early but I guess the reality of so many coming together all at once makes it a good idea.

Wendy, I just looked. I think I'd be coming into Chicago as well and there is a bus that goes directly from the airport to the university. http://www.coachusa.com/

Mind you if there is a pre-event in Chicago it might make sense to do an overnight there first.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The last I knew, Cate, the Chicago plans were to be after the Event, but the same would hold true for spending a night there... just need to plan for your flights accordingly.
~ Oscar Wilde
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

The Chicago venture is before the event and the Frank Lloyd Wright house is after the event.

M
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ah, thanks, Marsha. I've been out of reading about it all for awhile now. The Frank Lloyd Wright house sounds great, too.
~ Oscar Wilde
lennycohenfan

Post by lennycohenfan »

Oh sheesh Marsha, please help my simple minded self, and provide dates for the before and after stuff. Highly unlikely that I can do all, but will clearly be in Madison for the main events, and work in what I can past that.
St Louis 2009, Hydra Meet Up 2011, Memphis 2013

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Madison 2012”