Old Ideas - the new album - January 31, 2012

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
gallina

Re: OLD IDEAS - THE NEW ALBUM

Post by gallina »

Happiness :razz:
How lucky we are: we have an idol who can afford to omit two extraorinary inedited songs from a brand new album. That means: he has even better ones :!: :?:

Btw: Darkness is my favourite too!
2009 Budapest
2010 Zagreb, Gothenburg, Florence, St. Margarethen, Bratislava, Las Vegas x2

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2012 Ghent x5, Helsinki, Dublin x2, Verona
2013 Roma, Lucca, Vienna, London
2015 Viladrau
Bird off the Wire

Post by Bird off the Wire »

Firstly, thanks for the news, Jarkko. Looking forward in anticipation to all the new songs. I love the new songs played on the last tour but have listened to them so much on my iPod (bootleg versions) that I'm not particularly bothered they won't feature on the new album. Another of my great favourites, Bruce Springsteen has left outstanding tracks off his various albums, simply because they didn't fit the story he was attempting to tell on a particular album. His box set Tracks and last year's The Promise (out-takes from Darkness on t he Edge of Town sessions) show what really great material remained in the vault for so long. Which brings me to a suggestion for Leonard - why not release a set of songs recorded for but for whatever reason didn't make it on to his various albums. Imagine a 2 - 3 or even 4 disc set of such material!
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Woohoo!!! :D
"We are so lightly here"
Tim Dale

Post by Tim Dale »

Like the title 'Old Ideas'. Could it be that the new songs from 2009/2010 will appear on another live album of one of the concerts/compilation on CD/DVD/BluRay. Would make a nice addition to a 'deluxe' version of the album.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Some further thoughts on the new album:

- Darkness and Feels So Good have a very similar feel musically. To my ears the two songs sounded great on the tour (even back to back as they were at one stage) but they were probably too much of the same thing in an album context, so one had to go - at least for now.

- I do really like Born in Chains but part of its charm on tour was the vocals from Sharon and the Webbs. Maybe it didn't fit in with the rest of the album with the "guest" vocals, maybe Leonard didn't like it so much without them (I seem to recall someone reporting that the Webbs have not been involved with the album).

- Maybe there is hope for Lullaby. After all, if Leonard rewrote it and never performed the new version on the tour (despite the setlist and my best attempts to put the thought in his head in Malmo) then maybe it counts as one of the new songs .....

As I write this I am getting more and more excited about next Spring. 2011 has not been a good year for me (nothing to do with Leonard) but I am convinced 2012 IS GOING TO BE GREAT!

Wendy
gallina

Post by gallina »

"I am convinced 2012 IS GOING TO BE GREAT!

Wendy"

ME TOO!!!
2009 Budapest
2010 Zagreb, Gothenburg, Florence, St. Margarethen, Bratislava, Las Vegas x2

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2012 Ghent x5, Helsinki, Dublin x2, Verona
2013 Roma, Lucca, Vienna, London
2015 Viladrau
mutti

Post by mutti »

yes Wendy I agree 2012 will be a good year!
Cheers
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Mabeanie1 wrote:- I do really like Born in Chains but part of its charm on tour was the vocals from Sharon and the Webbs.
Wendy

I shall be brave and enter the fray - I was not impressed with this song when it was presented at the concerts. I could never reconcile the profound words being set to such "pretty music". I felt that the song was introduced at the concerts primarily as a vehicle to spotlight the three ladies. In fact, when sitting in the first row with a clear camera view, it was difficult to locate LC with the camera lens. His choreography was to recede upstage in the dark next to Roscoe, leaving the spotlight, literally, to the three ladies.

So, I am not surprised that the fate of this song as a candidate for a current album is probably still a work in progress. I would think LC needs time to fashion it into a powerful solo.

My feeling is, I would rather hear those profound words being recited, a la 1000 kisses deep with NL in the background.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

bridger15 wrote:
Mabeanie1 wrote:- I do really like Born in Chains but part of its charm on tour was the vocals from Sharon and the Webbs.
Wendy

I felt that the song was introduced at the concerts primarily as a vehicle to spotlight the three ladies. ..... His choreography was to recede upstage in the dark next to Roscoe, leaving the spotlight, literally, to the three ladies.

So, I am not surprised that the fate of this song as a candidate for a current album is probably still a work in progress. I would think LC needs time to fashion it into a powerful solo.

---Arlene
I wouldn't disagree with you Arlene.

W
JJR

Post by JJR »

2012 will be not just a great year but an awesome year for all LC fans. Don't forget that in addition to LC's own new album, we can also look forward to a whole batch of new LC-related albms: Adam Cohen (out in October), Anjani Thomas (announced for next year); Jennifer Warnes (coming soon) and Sharon Robinson. Possibly more. Yes, a great year indeed.
basecamp

Post by basecamp »

Henning wrote:For meself it feels so bad that it feels so good won't be on the album. The Darkness represents the darkness, the moment when you lack inspiration for a good tune.
I couldn't disagree with you more, Henning! For me The Darkness seems to be a song for the more darker souls and not for such cheerful persons like you ;-)
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Great news indeed!

Hans, I think Henning was saying he is sad that Feels so Good is not on the album? I think he was meaning that and not that the Darkness is the song he is happiest about. Maybe I am wrong but that was the way I read it.

Cannot wait for the album, its great to have it to look forward to and most of all to hear brand new songs.
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Thank you for the update Jarkko!
Very excited about the new songs, but sad about "feel so good"....
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Leonard's comment about the "missing" songs:
The other new songs, such as Born in Chains, will be on the next album, G-d willing
"The next album" refers here to a subsequent album after Old Ideas!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

:shock:

First i read about a new Tom Waits album...then Lennys releasing one too!!!!!!

This is too much! :D ......i avoided all the new songs except for "The Darkness" over the last few years,now it could be God knows how long before i hear them on record :razz:

Ah well......what a day!

Return to “OLD IDEAS”