I Can’t Forget – The Leonard Cohen Timeline

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
DrHGuy

I Can’t Forget – The Leonard Cohen Timeline

Post by DrHGuy »

sampletimeline500.jpg
The Online Leonard Cohen Timeline
Sally Hunter, Ruth Stimson, and Roman Gavrilin, with a modicum of assistance from me, have constructed an outstanding Leonard Cohen timeline that offers not only a a powerful, flexible reference tool and a useful perspective on the milestones of Leonard Cohen’s career but also a rich experience of the Canadian singer-songwriter’s – well, his singing and songwriting, as well as his poetry and prose. Events such as album releases and tour start dates are accompanied by pertinent audio or video recordings.

See I Can’t Forget – The Leonard Cohen Timeline at http://1heckofaguy.com/2011/08/18/i-can ... -timeline/

Note: In the process of enhancing this timeline, I put together a video comprising photos and video clips from or about Leonard Cohen’s childhood and adolescent years spent in Montreal, all set to a Leonard Cohen performance of of “Passing Through,” that may itself be of interest to fans. While that video is attached to an event on the timeline, it can also be viewed directly at New Video – Growing Up Leonard Cohen: http://1heckofaguy.com/2011/08/17/new-v ... ard-cohen/
joyezekiel

Re: I Can’t Forget – The Leonard Cohen Timeline

Post by joyezekiel »

This is incredible! Thank you.....

Have only just clicked here and there, but it looks amazing - need a quiet day with nothing else to do so that I can immerse myself for a few hours!

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
KatzieMtl

Post by KatzieMtl »

I didn't realise before that it's my favourite walking place.. wonder what attracted me there in the beginning.. :lol:
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

I just saw on this Timeline..I didn't know before..I hadn't realized...The Leonard Cohen Files opened in 1995??? :o
The site is SIXTEEN years old?? :shock: :shock:

The site is (almost) as old as I am?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :?
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Stamatina -

Here's a great article (from 1997 itself) about that Old Times -
http://leonardcohenfiles.com/planete.html

And via WayBack Machine you can visit, read (you can see it, you can taste it ;-) ) The LCFiles on 7/7/97:
http://web.archive.org/web/199812051828 ... frame.html
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

Goldin wrote:Stamatina -

Here's a great article (from 1997 itself) about that Old Times -
http://leonardcohenfiles.com/planete.html

And via WayBack Machine you can visit, read (you can see it, you can taste it ;-) ) The LCFiles on 7/7/97:
http://web.archive.org/web/199812051828 ... frame.html
I actually ran to the site right after posting my previews post, to see if I could find any proof that I am respectably older than the site and I did find the link to the WayBack Machine... It looks so sweet! And it took me longer than a minute to realize which song is playing in the background.. :roll: (perhaps it's due to the shock of finding out that I wasn't the only divine thing to be born in 1995.. :razz: )
Gentle this soul..."
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Stamatina,

I love your reply and I think you are such an asset to this forum.

Hope to meet you one day.

Sheila
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

imaginary friend wrote:Stamatina,

I love your reply and I think you are such an asset to this forum.

Hope to meet you one day.

Sheila

I don't think I have anything useful to say, as once more, the overwhelming kindness and sweetness I find here has left me speechless.. :)
Thank you very much. I hope we'll meet one day, as well. :)
Gentle this soul..."
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

Stamatina wrote:I just saw on this Timeline..I didn't know before..I hadn't realized...The Leonard Cohen Files opened in 1995??? :o
The site is SIXTEEN years old?? :shock: :shock:
One of the few additions to the Timeline for which I can take partial credit is, in fact, the exact start date of the Leonard Cohen Files (that date is also marked on the September Leonard Cohen Calendar). The site's date of origin has always been listed as “September 1995." Jarkko was good enough to dig through the archives at my request to come up with the specific date: September 3, 1995.

If nothing else, knowing the anniversary date - which is, according to my calculations, fast approaching - makes commemorations easier to target.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Thank you so much Goldin for the link to the Internet Archive. I'd forgotten about it and hadn't thought to look for the LC Files there. Alas, the earliest date available now seems to be early 1999 but it takes me back nonetheless. I first had access to the internet in late 1996/ early 1997 when my then employer installed one freestanding computer (the www was considered far too risky to be incorporated within the company's systems in those days) in each department so employees could learn to use the internet in their free time. I read El Pais on a daily basis and searched (Googling came later) for Runrig, Che Guevara (for my Spanish studies) and for Leonard. The Files were a mine of information even then and the Blackening Pages were a joy and an indication that Leonard was not just a thing of the past.

I daresay a lot of the content from those early days is still available on the Files but I really enjoyed looking back at the site as it was. I happened across an article by Valerie Shertzman from 1998 and this comment struck a chord:

"Even if I hadn't recognized the face, the voice would have been a dead give away. Warm and deep it washed over me, as it had from the first time I'd heard it, 26 years ago."

Quite.

Wendy
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Yeah, I repeated Jarkko's mistake (sounds heretical, I know).
This flash-back comes from December 1998, even radio broadcast, meetings of 1998 are mentioned in the text :oops:

Thank you for priceless memories, Wendy!
It's amazing that the site was launched on the early dawn of Personal WWW era, to say more - during (seemed to be the final?) intermission in Our Man's career...

btw, my favourite moment from LCF 12/98 front page;
also an evidence, how small the Web was at the moment of the debut album's 30th anniversary:
We organize Leonard Cohen IRC Meetings now and then. Some 30 Cohenists from all over the world participated in the meeting on December 27, 1997.
rike

Post by rike »

I savor every morsel of this magnificent record of the life and triumphs of LC! I nibble a little bit here, skip a decade or two, return to .... For the sake of completeness, may I just suggest to also add the European tour of 1970 (preceding the Isle of Wight concert)?
I still have miles to go and videos to run to take in all that is offered here. Thank you !
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Any significance that the timeline ends in 2021??
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013

Return to “News”