Which is your fav Hallelujah cover?

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Dear Lizzy ~ I'm just home from a weekend's travel - drained! But buoyed by your insightful comments and the comments about Hallelujah below from a web message board :D

You've highlighted some truths of the recording and listening experience ~ and I'll respond some once I'm restored ( : - peace, Ad

this is from "Maven" (on the coolrunning.com board):

If I had a site I could upload it to so people could click and listen
without having to jump through password hoops and such, I have an
incredible song by a woman with an incredible voice I would put out
there for you to listen to...

It is Allison Crowe's rendition of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' - done
her way.
If you go HERE you can download it yourself - you just have to sign up
with amazon if you aren't already (free)

The best way to listen to it is with your headphones so you can turn it
up and really hear her. It is freakin' amazing. I can't explain it, but
I have listened to it over and over and still want to hear it again. Her
voice is so rich and powerful, and the passion she sings it with is
really something....enjoy...
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
John Etherington

Favourite cover of "Hallelujah"

Post by John Etherington »

My favourite cover is definitely the one by John Cale...the song suits his style perfectly. I've heard him play the song several times as an encore at his concerts. I also like Jeff Buckley's version and the version by Julie Felix on her last album "I Walk with Beauty". My favourite Leonard version is the one on "Live in Concert".
nelly

kathryn williams

Post by nelly »

you can hear kathryn williams' amazing version of hallelujah in realplayer format at http://mfile.akamai.com/9139/rm/stream. ... jah_hi.ram or in windows media format at http://mfile.akamai.com/9139/asf/stream ... jah_hi.asx
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Nelly ~

Welcome to the Forum :D ! I just went and listened [at last a link that works for me :wink: !] to Kathryn Williams's cover. She has a stunning voice. I love the instrumentation that accompanies her. Is that a cello? I was surprized by and enjoyed her three, 'tortured' hallelujah's that came immediately prior to her ending one.

~ Lizzytysh
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Is Florence still coming here? I'm wondering how your singing of "Hallelujah" in the play went for you. I never commented at the time [back in January], and now sure wish I had! Please let us know how it went.

~ Lizzy
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

k.d. lang does a nice version - the live version (with Orchestra) is really quite stunning.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I heard a 25-second[?] snippet of k.d. lang's, and yes, it sounded very good.

Adrian ~ It's wonderful seeing Allison getting some good press, through the articles written to commemorate Leonard's birthday :D . Sure wish some would spell her name correctly, though, with two l's.
scott

Post by scott »

hello to all of you who visit here.
just popped in to have a read of the board, having been a len fan since i was 19 [some years ago...]. thought i'd say something about the kathryn williams version of this song.

it was recorded live at regents park last year, on the hottest night of the year. the trees were still. the air was perfect. the gig was just amazing.

yes, it is a cello. played by laura reid
nice that some people here like this version. it's on the album 'relations', which is a covers album.

lizzytysh wrote:Hi Nelly ~

Welcome to the Forum :D ! I just went and listened [at last a link that works for me :wink: !] to Kathryn Williams's cover. She has a stunning voice. I love the instrumentation that accompanies her. Is that a cello? I was surprized by and enjoyed her three, 'tortured' hallelujah's that came immediately prior to her ending one.

~ Lizzytysh
cheju_natural

Post by cheju_natural »

I have really enjoyed this thread. Can someone post or email me the live Dylon versions mentioned? I would be very grateful.

In several of U2's live performances, Bono goes into Hallelujah's although he never sings a verse. I can post several examples of these if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Cheju
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

I haven't heard KD Lang performing it live, but I love, love, love the version on her new CD. I love that whole CD. It is like an angel healing me.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Cheju, you've asked for a live recording of Allison (Crowe) performing Hallelujah. Well... here's a treat for the season - a movie file:

http://www.allisoncrowe.com/AllisonCrow ... wVI128.wmv

http://www.allisoncrowe.com/AllisonCrow ... wVI512.wmv

(Both are links to the same song/performance - at different rates/speeds.)

This is from the Tidings tv special which airs across Canada on Tuesday, December 21 (on the CHUM New Network).

Allison's version of "Hallelujah" has become a favourite on CBC Radio in this country, and, the holiness of the song and its interpretation is moving so many people. "Truly transcendent" is how one newspaper reviewer has described it.

As Allison says in the interview portion of the tv show - it's an "awesome" song, and she feels "humbled" to be able to perform it ( :

Happy Holidays everyone! Adrian
cheju_natural

Post by cheju_natural »

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

My wife and I recently vacationed in the mountains, and played Allison the entire week.

Happy holidays and cheers for the video!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I downloaded Allison's mp3, excellent cover of Hallelujah! I hope that one day I will find the way to whole albums. Maybe next Christmas, too late for this year :cry:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Dear Tom :D

By this time next year, we aim to have solved the puzzle of CD distribution, to make Allison's music more easily available around the world.

To help out this season, Alley has posted the full Tidings album in continuous streaming format ~ in WindowsMedia Player @ http://www.allisoncrowe.com/tidings.wma and in RealPlayer @ http://www.allisoncrowe.com/tidings.rm

(This contains her version of Hallelujah, along with Joni Mitchell's River and other songs of faith and spirit, cotemplation and redemption.)

And Alley's original song collection, Secrets, is also available for the enjoyment of all, in streaming WindowsMedia @
http://www.allisoncrowe.com/SecretsEntireAlbum.wma and RealPlayer @
http://www.allisoncrowe.com/SecretsEntireAlbum.rm

(This album contains Allison's interpretation of Joan of Arc ~ about which the Canadian magazine, Herizons recently wrote: "The lone cover song she includes on the CD is from one of her icons, Leonard Cohen. She tackles his "Joan of Arc" and manages to make it her own - not an easy task, considering the amazing version Jennifer Warnes added to the canon with Famous Blue Raincoat. That, at 23, Crowe should have the maturity to make her interpretation of this complex song sound sincere and authentic is truly impressive.")

May you enjoy this music ( :

Best wishes for a warm and happy holiday season!

peace & cheers, Adrian
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Dear Adrian,

I really enjoyed the clip of Hallelujah that you very kindly posted-I'm sure I'll enjoy the other material and will look forward to being able to get Alison's records in the future.

Thank you.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”