RIP Robert Bower

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
dick

RIP Robert Bower

Post by dick »

It saddens me greatly to report that Robert Bower passed away today during a short hospital stay. Many may not know Robert but he was a long time friend of Leonard, Esther, the McGarrigle sisters and the Wainwrights.

When we first met him in the late 1990's, he was working at a Times Square Internaional news stand. He later quit that job and began working in Bob Dylan's New York offices. He told us of his attendance and audio recordings from early shows, like Bryn Mahr and then Bottom Line and his travels anywhere to see Leonard shows. During Leonard's career pre-internet, he clipped reviews and notices in many languages for Leonard. He slowed down quite a bit on his travels and only saw New York shows during the 08-10 tour, but we met him many times for meals and shows with Esther.

His death is shocking to us, as he was only 62.
tomsakic

Re: RIP Robert Bower

Post by tomsakic »

Hi Dick,

I just saw the news on Perla Batalla's Facebook profile, and came here to share it, expecting you will be the first to share the memories and write down something about Robert (as I know you knew him and that he was on NYC event in 2004) for us who did not knew him personally. I first heard about him from Ira Nadel's biography of Leonard, where he was much quoted as Leonard's archivist.

Thank you for the news. I hoped that I will meet him one day when I finally go to NYC and see some of his Cohen materials. I believe Robert and I exchanged few emails few years back, when we searched something old about LC.
dick

Post by dick »

Robert Bower and Esther and Rufus Wainwright Opera show, World Financial Center, 062811.jpg
Robert and Esther at Rufus Wainwright Opera show, World Financial Center, June 28, 2011.
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

" may everyone live ...may everyone die ... hello my love .... and my love good bye ! Peace to his family and friends.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The news about Robert's death was shocking. Eija and I first met Robert in Montreal in 2000, when he participated in the big Event with Esther, Hazel, and Yvonne (the Dutch founder of the Intensity fanzine). Four years later Robert was at our New York Event. After the Beacon concert in New York two years ago we met with him at Dylan's office, and had a nice lunch. He never participated actively in the internet community, and most of us here didn't know him, but he had great stories to tell about Leonard and the early tours. One special LC moment for Robert had been the TV show "Talkshovet" in Denmark in 1993; he was a special guest in Leonard's one hour long interview.
Robert's LC archive of early press, audio etc. material is remarkable, and we hope that his relatives will take care of it in some way.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

From Leonard:

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thinking of you all at this time, all of the friends that knew Robert and his family.
Sounds like he was loved by many and will be missed.
and thank you for the photo Jarkko
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
JoelZ

Post by JoelZ »

A wonderful sweet helpful guy who is missed.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thank you Leonard and Jarkko,

for sharing your thoughts in this wonderful visual way.

My condolences to Robert's family and friends.

Bev
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Campbell

Post by Campbell »

A good man a decent man. roll sweetly and say hi to kate
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

There is a lovely tribute to Robert by Anna McGarrigle at her site, that includes a couple of nice comments -

http://www.mcgarrigles.com/uncategorize ... er-of-cats
John W.

Post by John W. »

I met Robert in 1975 when I and a group of others (friends to this day who remained close to Robert) were rabid David Bowie fans - We were just 'kids' really! Robert has been a close friend for all the years since. He loved his job at Hotalings Newsagents at Times Square where he could indulge his passion for reading the latest in ‘media’ events and at the same time meet musicians he admired who came into the shop; he would always find out what they were looking for and help them hunt it down! Over the years Robert and I went to many concerts together (Stones, Baez, Odetta, Dylan and many others – before Robert went to work in Dylan’s office) but his two favorite artists were Leonard Cohen and Kate and Anna McGarrigle - he must have Canadian blood in him. Robert was one of the most caring, thoughtful, supportive people I have ever met and I’m not the only one who feels that way. Whenever you hooked up with him, he had a little gift for you about some artist whom you liked – it was embarrssing in a way because who else goes out of their way for you every single time you meet? No one I know of now. I was fortunate enough to spend last Monday afternoon at the hospital with Robert and we had a meaningful chat between two old close friends and it was a great privilege for me – as the next day, Tuesday, Robert became very ill and was not to recover. As Jarkko mentioned, Robert's LC archive of early press, audio etc. material is remarkable, and it was his intention that it be kept, catalogued and handled in a way that would benefit the artistic legacy of Leonard Cohen – and not be used as a source of renumeration for himself. He was adamant about that – and I only hope now that he is gone that his vision for his Cohen 'collection' will still come to pass in the way he envisioned it. It’s been a long time since the ‘Philly kids’ days of Bowie recording ‘Young Americans’ at Sigma Sound. I’m so saddened by your untimely passing and at such a young age – and will miss you very much. Please rest in peace. (Thank you for posting the beautiful photo of Robert with candle - I want to remember him that way).
Susan G

Post by Susan G »

Being Robert’s friend for the past 40-years has been nothing short of a gift for which I’ll be forever grateful. The day before Robert’s passing, we spoke of many rock ‘n roll escapades, such as driving to Philly to see Bowie, with the car’s fuel tank reading “empty.” Nothing would stop us from getting to our “hero’s” – Bowie, Leonard, Kate & Anna, Patti. Robert, YOU will always be my hero. I’ve kept every greeting card he has ever sent me over the years and each was always signed, “Love for Eternity”. I will love You for all eternity, Robert. May you truly rest in peace.
stonecupid

RIP Robert Bower

Post by stonecupid »

Was sad to hear this news from Perla last night. A sweet man taken too soon.
"There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." L. Cohen http://www.stonecupid.com
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks to you all for the tributes to Robert. Indeed he was an amazingly kind and sweet man.

His brother, Harry, and his close friend, Joseph, will handle his affairs. I believe they are aware of both his love for his feline family and of the pricelessness of his musical possessions.

Return to “News”