Leonard Cohen, Prince of Asturias Award for Letters

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
3mariza1

Re: Leonard Cohen, Prince of Asturias Award for Letters

Post by 3mariza1 »

Congratulations, Leonard !!! :)
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
Marino

Post by Marino »

Congratulations, Leonard! From Brazil, we celebrate it! :D
KatzieMtl

Post by KatzieMtl »

And Montreal is adding its voice to congratulations!
http://www.montrealgazette.com/Leonard+ ... story.html
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

From the Toronto based NATIONAL POST (Reuters)

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2011/06/01 ... ary-prize/
Leonard Cohen wins top Spanish literary prize

Reuters Jun 1, 2011 – 12:09 PM ET

Leonard Cohen has been awarded one of Spain's top literary prizes

Leonard Cohen won Spain’s top award for authors who do not write in Spanish for his decades of exploring great human issues in song and verse.

The jury of the Principe de Asturias Foundation said the 76-year-old singer-songwriter, poet and novelist was one of the most influential writers of modern times.

He won “for a literary work which has influenced three generations around the world by creating a sentimental imagery in which poetry and music are melded into an unchanging worth,” the jury citation read.

Cohen beat a field of 32 from countries including Argentina, France, Austria, Mexico and Britain. Past winners include German Nobel Laureate Guenther Grass and U.S. playwright Arthur Miller.

The Asturias Foundation awards eight prizes every year for fields ranging from science to the arts. Winners are due to collect 50,000 euros (US$71,870) each at the awards ceremony in October, and a statue by catalan artist Joan Miro.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From the CBC (Canada) -
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... ml?ref=rss
Leonard Cohen Wins Prestigious Spanish Award
CBC News
Posted: Jun 1, 2011 9:13 AM ET
Last Updated: Jun 1, 2011 1:25 PM ET

Leonard Cohen, the Canadian singer and poet, has won Spain's
Prince of Asturias award. (Prince of Asturias Foundation)

Canadian singer Leonard Cohen has won a Prince of Asturias award, one of eight given annually in Spain for achievement in the arts or sciences.

Cohen will be awarded the Letters prize from the Prince of Asturias foundation for his poetic gifts and thought-provoking songs, a jury announced Wednesday.

"Considered one of the most influential authors of our time, his poems and songs have beautifully explored the major issues of humanity in great depth," the jury said in its citation.

Montreal-born Cohen is known for his songs, including Suzanne and Hallelujah, which have been covered by dozens of influential artists.

His books include poetry collections Let us Compare Mythologies and Flowers for Hitler, and novels The Favourite Game and Beautiful Losers. Earlier this year he issued a compilation book Poems and Stories.

Now 76, Cohen won the Glenn Gould Prize earlier this year, a Canadian award for achievement in the arts. He also is an Officer and Companion of the Order of Canada.

The Asturias prize, with a 50,000-euro ($69,600 Cdn) cash award and a statue designed by Joan Miró, will be presented to Cohen in Spain in the fall.

The Asturias awards are given annually "to reward the scientific, technical, cultural, social and humanistic work performed at an international level by individuals, institutions or groups of individuals or institutions."

Canadian writer Margaret Atwood won the Letters prize in 2008. It also has gone to writers such as Ismail Kadare, Arthur Miller and Paul Auster.

Bob Dylan has won an Asturias prize for his contribution to the arts.

Read 18 comments18
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

It's funny to come home and find our man in top of the news - one of the world's most renowned LITERARY awards, given earlier to Juan Rulfo, Mario Vargas Llosa, Camilo José Cela, Carlos Fuentes, Álvaro Mutis, Günter Grass, Doris Lessing, Arthur Miller, Susan Sontag, Claudio Magris, Paul Auster, Amos Oz, Margaret Atwood, Ismail Kadare and Amin Maalouf, is now in his hands. I myself would claim it's the most important award given to his work so far.

http://www.tportal.hr/kultura/knjizevno ... grade.html
http://www.hrt.hr/index.php?id=48&tx_tt ... 684deb7eeb
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

On the link of the award, provided by Goldin, is also the official jury statement - I don't see it here so here's a copy:

At its meeting in Oviedo, the Jury for the 2011 Prince of Asturias Award for Letters, made up of Mr. Andrés Amorós Guardiola, Mr. Luis María Anson Oliart, Mr. J. J. Armas Marcelo, Mr. José Manuel Blecua Perdices, Ms. Carmen Caffarel Serra, Ms. Amelia Castilla Alcolado, Mr. Juan Cruz Ruiz, Jacobo Fitz-James Stuart y Martínez de Irujo, Count of Siruela, Mr. José Luis García Martín, Ms. Pilar García Mouton, Mr. Manuel Llorente Manchado, Ms. Rosa Navarro Durán, Ms. Berta Piñán Suárez, Mr. Fernando Rodríguez Lafuente, Mr. Fernando Sánchez Dragó, Ms. Diana Sorensen,. chaired by Mr. Víctor García de la Concha and with Mr. Román Suárez Blanco acting as secretary, has decided by majority vote to confer the 2011 Prince of Asturias Award for Letters on the Canadian poet and novelist Leonard Cohen for a body of literary work that has influenced three generations of people worldwide through his creation of emotional imagery in which poetry and music are fused in an oeuvre of immutable merit. The passing of time, sentimental relationships, the mystical traditions of the East and the West and life sung as an unending ballad make up a body of work associated with certain moments of decisive change at the end of the 20th and beginning of the 21st century.

Oviedo, 1st June 2011

Source: http://www.fpa.es/en/awards/2011/leonard-cohen-1/jury/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

..."his poems and songs explore with depth and beauty the major questions concerning humanity."....
That's the part that jumped off the page at me, too, Beatriz.

And, then, this one...
He won “for a literary work which has influenced three generations around the world by creating a sentimental imagery in which poetry and music are melded into an unchanging worth,” the jury citation read.
When I get back home, I'll read the articles through the links.

How gratifying for Leonard all of this is... and, even, for so many who have relentlessly tried to get people to listen ~ really listen ~ LISTEN ~ through these many years.

Every award you receive you so deeply deserve, Leonard. I am so happy that you are getting to see all of this for yourself!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

lizzytysh wrote:
How gratifying for Leonard all of this is... and, even, for so many who have relentlessly tried to get people to listen ~ really listen ~ LISTEN ~ through these many years.

Every award you receive you so deeply deserve, Leonard. I am so happy that you are getting to see all of this for yourself!
You're so right Lizzy!
Just add how gratifying this award will be for people trying to get people to listen and to READ LC!
I love the fact that it is a literature award wich is deepest than his music !
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
evelyn

Post by evelyn »

Congradulations, Leonard!!!

evelyn
mutti

Post by mutti »

Beautiful! Congratulations Leonard. I am happy you won this award.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, I agree with you, Mutti.

More significant by far, in that its being for his writing [poetry/novels] is inclusive of his song lyrics, as well.

I focused on trying to get people to listen to his music... perhaps, I'd have done better to switch out to his writing. Still... I showed them the lyrics! Read them, recited them, spoke them, sang them [now maybe that was a problem ;)]. Perhaps, I was just encountering the 'wrong' kind of people for the situation and it was hopeless from the beginning, but do what you can where you're planted [or plant yourself, as situations may dictate, right?].

Thanks for adding on the READING. So right.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

"I am very grateful to be recognized by the compatriots of Machado and Lorca, my friend Morente and all the incomparable colleagues of the Spanish guitar"
Leonard Cohen thanked the Prince of Asturias Award.
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.

Return to “News”