Cohen Night in Danish TV!!!

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Cohen Night in Danish TV!!!

Post by jarkko »

This comes from Cia.

All these programs will be aired on MONDAY, September 20th

20.00 Tema-aften: Cohen og Danmark
20.01 Cohen og Danmark (1)
Den canadiske sanger og poet Leonard Cohen har fødselsdag i morgen. Han fylder 70 år. En række danske musikere synger Cohen på dansk. Hvad er det med dem og Cohen?

20.05 Ladies and gentlemen, mr. Leonard Cohen
I denne canadiske dokumentarfilm fra 1965 møder vi digteren Leonard Cohen hjemme i Montreal. På det tidspunkt boede han på den græske ø Hydra og havde endnu ikke påbegyndt sin musikalske karriere.

20.50 Cohen og Danmark (2)
"På danske læber" hedder en cd, hvor en række danske sangere synger Cohen-sange på dansk. Niels Skousen, Claus Hempler, Nikolaj Nørlund, Lise Westzynthius m.fl. synger deres sange og fortæller om Cohens betydning for netop dem.

21.10 Cohen i Talkshowet
I 1992 medvirkede Leonard Cohen i et af Jarl Friis-Mikkelsens talkshow. I denne forkortede version oplever vi en afslappet, humoristisk og klog sanger, der bl.a. mixer drinks, giver gode råd om kærlighed og det at blive ældre. Vi får også et gensyn med Steen Jørgensen og C.V. Jørgensen og deres fortolkning af Cohen-sangen "Seems So Long Ago, Nancy".

Here is a translation from Cia:

Tomorrrow it’s the Canadian singer and poet Leonard Cohens birthday. He will become 70 years. A bunchful of Danish musicans will sing Cohen in Danish. What’s it with them and Cohen?

20.05 Ladies and gentlemen, mr. Leonard Cohen
In this canadian documentary from 1965 we meet the poet Leonard Cohen home in Montreal. At this time he was living on the greek Island Hydra and had not yet started his musical career.

20.50 Cohen og Danmark (2)
”På danske læber” (On danish lips) is the name of a cd, on which a number of danish singers sing Cohen-songs in danish. . Niels Skousen, Claus Hempler, Nikolaj Nørlund, Lise Westzynthius and more sing their songs and tell about Cohens impact on them.

21.10 Cohen i Talkshowet
In 1992 Leonard Cohen joined one of Jarl Friis-Mikkelsens talkshow. In this short version vi discover a relaxed, humours and wise singer, who besides other things mix drinks, gives good advice about love and the fact growing older. We shall also once again see Steen Jørgensen and C.V. Jørgensen and their translation of the Cohen song “ Seems So Long Ago , Nancy”.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

I think it's great that Danish TV is doing specials on Leonard. I've spent a good deal of time in Denmark - being half Danish - and I must say a Leonard special or two would be great for Danish programming! I'm sure this question has been asked before, but what is it exactly about Northern Europe that makes it so decidedly "Cohenistic"?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you for your lovely act of translation, Cia. Those of us unable to read these languages really appreciate it!

Oh dear, Linda, here we go with broadbrush painting ~ and I'm really not the one to answer, as I'm not from Northern Europe. However, Europe has been around much longer than North America [U.S./Canada] ~ and they have a long history of fine art and appreciation, visual art, music, and literature. I feel that these appreciations are genetically 'ingrained' in many of them, their appreciation[s] passed down through the generations. It seems they are [generally speaking] more serious in their thinking. So much has occurred in those 'connected' countries for so many centuries that has to do with war, survival, as well as the arts [so often an outgrowth of travails, geared toward psyche'al survival]. As a result, they are more willing to listen to the extended lyric, the deepening thoughts. I would certainly have to do some serious research to 'substantiate' my 'thesis' ~ but this is still what I feel.

~ Lizzy
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Thanks for your 'thesis' Lizzy! I'm sure you're right to a degree. However, on the other side of the coin, my husband listens to CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) Overnight which features music/art/politcal views from all over Europe. He pays special attention to the Scandanavian/Dutch part of the world because of my lineage - and the musical background to all of this is always ABBA or ABBA sounding groups. I don't get it. Nothing could be a farther departure from your 'thesis' than ABBA! Yet Cohen hits the stores at #1.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Maybe, ABBA is the youth gone wild :wink: !?! Yet, as is the case, those who are serious there vastly outnumber those in the U.S. who are serious. Hence, when it comes to Leonard, he's vastly more popular there than here. Also, the 'majority' of Leonard appreciators are of the 'older' generation. Isn't ABBA more recent? MTV certainly is. We must also allow for the Western/U.S. impact on European and other countries overseas ~ McDonald's and the Western diet only two, very minor [in terms of the number] aspects. When your world has been serioiusly impacted through the many years, I think you're going to have an overall, more serious state of mind.

As a rule, the U.S. general population [upon graduation from high school] has extremely little knowledge regarding various regions of the world, their politics and philosophies. When I lived in the Keys, I met people from all over the world visiting there. They were continually surprized by the lack of everyday, working knowledge we have in such arenas. It may come from being a young country that is physically 'isolated' and, hence, we've pretty much focused on ourselves. However, even those from Canada had a greater working knowledge ~ for just being 'tourists,' they and the Europeans [the Europeans even moreso] were remarkable in that way. My former friend [now deceased], Cuban raised in Puerto Rico [or vice versa, can't recall at the moment], was shocked at our lack of knowledge in the area of politics and philosophy. They studied them ~ in depth ~ in high school, whereas we had no philosophy courses and one "Current Events" course. We had one history course. I could be wrong in my theory; however, it won't take ABBA to convince me that I am :wink: :lol: :D .

~ Lizzy

Return to “News”