NEeMA on tour in US

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
Mabeanie1

Re: NEeMA on tour in US

Post by Mabeanie1 »

scubasam wrote: all this negativity towards younger females in LC's life smacks more of the green-eyed monster than rational,discernable taste in music.
That is unbelievably patronising Sam. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. To be honest, and assuming we are talking about music here, the "younger females in LC's life" cover such a wide spectrum that I do not find it at all surprising that some people do not take to all the female musical talent associated with Leonard. In fact, it seems to me that those such as for example Evie who dare to express what you might see as a negative view are the really discerning ones.

Now can we get this thread back to it's subject ie NEeMA on tour in the US? I would love to have been at the show last night and I want to hear all about it!

Wendy
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

mnkyface wrote:...I'm kind of surprised at the negativity.
No surprise here. The practice of posting deliberately outrageous and offensive posts to web forums for the sole purpose of stirring emotional responses is widespread and well known. It is a form of online vandalism often categorized as "trolling" but at its core is plain old mean-spirited taunting. It is best to ignore it and deprive the troll of her desired effect.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

It was a wonderful evening filled with lovely music, inspiring lyrics and good company. NEeMA is a beautiful performer in the most profound sense of the word and since she is out on her own unique path it would be difficult to find valid comparisons to other artists. Her interpretation of Avalanche was gentle, deep and moving. I am still amazed at how she was able to preserve the dark, consuming feeling at the heart of the song while taking so much of the bitter edge off (or perhaps the bitterness was just absorbed by some in the audience who seem to have soaked it up and taken it home).

NEeMA on stage:

On drums, Fred Bouchard:

Donna and Diana got their CD signed :)
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja »

brightnow wrote:
mnkyface wrote:...I'm kind of surprised at the negativity.
No surprise here. The practice of posting deliberately outrageous and offensive posts to web forums for the sole purpose of stirring emotional responses is widespread and well known. It is a form of online vandalism often categorized as "trolling" but at its core is plain old mean-spirited taunting. It is best to ignore it and deprive the troll of her desired effect.
May I ask who you're referring to as a troll? People not seeing anything particularly inspiring in NEeMA's music is simply an expression of personal taste. I don't see why others who feel the same way should feel as if there's something wrong with saying as much. Nobody was disrespectful or made a personal attack -- people just gave an opinion. Surely there is room for a difference of opinion without it being branded as myopic or jealous or trolling.
Will... If It Be Your Will
lightning

Post by lightning »

It Italy at the opera the practise of booing a performer is still in effect, I hear, but it has been eliminated from our culture by the " if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything" philosophy." Life is a lot livelier when people don't repress emotions or keep their feelings to themselves. positive or negative.
scubasam

Post by scubasam »

Well, I expect I will get a verbal smack in the eye for this but I just don't understand what the fuss is about, there doesn't seem to be anything special about her. Her poetry and music is uninspiring, nothing awful, just ordinary.
Harsh, but acceptable criticism in my opinion.
...As long as they are sincere and polite. I did go to Joe's Pub last night and I did enjoy the show. I loved her song about LA and I really liked her Cohen cover.
On the other hand, I found that some of her songs were not as inspiring and thought provoking as I would have expected from a protegee of Leonards. Perhaps I'm missing something. If someone is going to be performing in public, they need to hear both sides, good and less good. That is the only way they will grow and improve.
Even better way to constructively criticize something you are not crazy about.
Even Perla Battaglia and Julie Christensen were more exciting performers than the Webb Sisters (robots?), Anjani (yuk), and, as noted NEema.
I am not one for being politically correct and I certainly have no qualms about sharing my opinions (many people on this board can attest to that fact), but to use words such as 'robots and yuk' to describe the YOUNGER women Cohen has chosen to share parts of his life with? Rude, disrespectful and designed to antagonize (the very definition of troll-like behavior on the internet), just like some really obtuse comments that were recently made on another thread by the very same person. A pattern of troll-like behavior is emerging that smacks of (as I said in my original post on this) little more than that insidious green-eyed monster.
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
scubasam wrote: all this negativity towards younger females in LC's life smacks more of the green-eyed monster than rational,discernable taste in music.
That is unbelievably patronising Sam. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. To be honest, and assuming we are talking about music here, the "younger females in LC's life" cover such a wide spectrum that I do not find it at all surprising that some people do not take to all the female musical talent associated with Leonard. In fact, it seems to me that those such as for example Evie who dare to express what you might see as a negative view are the really discerning ones.

Now can we get this thread back to it's subject ie NEeMA on tour in the US? I would love to have been at the show last night and I want to hear all about it!

Wendy
Wendy, take you own advice: "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion"
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Patrycja wrote:May I ask who you're referring to as a troll?...
IMO it takes a "pattern of provocation" to declare a troll but once the homophobic slur line has been crossed we are safely in troll territory.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

This is frustrating... I had just gotten 3-4 paragraphs into my response and accidentally hit some key I've yet to isolate as being 'the' one that makes everything just disappear :? . So, starting over...

My mind has covered a lot of ground since reading these two threads regarding NEeMA... so, more or less, taking it from the top.

When someone first compared Anjani and NEeMA, I felt Avi's response to that posting made appropriate and relevant distinctions between them. Apples and oranges... pineapples and pomegranates.

With lightning's and her sister's wondering what ever happened with Judy Collins and Joni Mitchell, as the kind of women who accompanied or were influenced by Leonard in years gone by, please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, they were the established artists and Leonard was the newcomer back then. Hence, their own levels of professional development were already quite well in place. During those years, folk songs and folk singing were also very much the norm, so there was much practice, much exposure, and much development of the style, whether singing, playing the guitar, or songwriting.

I'm not sure where or with whom the term "protege" surfaced, but that has never really been my understanding of the relationship between Leonard and Nadine. For me, that word suggests a far greater focus on and intention of development of another in one's own style or at least heavy influence.

My impression has been that Nadine, the person and woman, has had priorities quite apart from being a professional performer and has actively pursued those other sides of herself. She has had a longtime interest in writing, but not necessarily for the purpose of putting herself on the musical map. Her themes have seemed quite personal. Love has always been of great interest to me, as well... and it doesn't always have to have universal application to be enjoyable. I immensely admire Nadine for the other pursuits she has had in her life and what I perceive as her personal values. It could easily be that Leonard does as well. She has come to performing somewhat late in the arc of her life.

When I briefly met Nadine in Las Vegas, I was very positively impressed. I liked her a lot and instinctively wanted her to do well. It was just one of those human responses that we have when we meet someone we like. We want the best for them. We also want them to be able to be themselves. I have no reason to believe that Leonard wouldn't have felt the same way when he met her.

I'd like a show of hands on who wouldn't appreciate Leonard lending them a hand with their writing, poetry, songwriting, singing, musicianship, or simply being in life. Who wouldn't appreciate Leonard putting in print a good word about them and their endeavours. [Hmmm... not seeing many hands... ;-) ] With what I've read, though, it appears that Leonard focused on the importance of Nadine listening to her own heart and remaining herself, as he and the other gentleman offered their input and their growth-oriented suggestions and exercises.

It's a bitter pill to swallow that there will really, truly, only be one Leonard Cohen. It's not fair or realistic to expect that anyone is going to replicate him [male or female] or even come close. We didn't come this far for his beauty for all that he uniquely offers just to expect that someone else will 'be there' too, simply because he became a part of their life and their interests and offered what he could without just taking over.

One of the problems, though, is that once the asset of Leonard's involvement gets added into the mix, the 'liability of sorts' can emerge, as well, with the bar for excellence and Leonard-likeness getting raised a hundred floors... and unfair comments such as "one would expect more from a protege of Leonard's . . . " [re: Nadine] or "she's riding on his coattails... " [re: Anjani] being non-value added; when, in fact, each woman has simply been being herself... and the EXPECTATIONS have come from others not involved. Leonard's involvement in Nadine's musical pursuits aren't necessarily going to 'transform' her musical development and catapult her to stardom... and Leonard's involvement in Anjani's musical pursuits aren't going to divert all that her own experience, learning, and skills brought to that musical table. From what I've seen, Leonard has allowed each woman to be her own musical self. He acquiesced to the great ideas that Anjani had and encouraged her to take them further; and he has encouraged Nadine to develop in particular ways, yet has also reminded her to remain true to herself, as well. He hasn't tried to turn either of them into a 'mini-Leonard Cohen.' He's been their friend.

I LOVE Anjani's voice and presentation and am looking forward to her new album as I wholeheartedly believe that she will be surprizing many with her personal variations in singing. She may not always be so mellow, as we found her to be with Blue Alert... her distinctive mark on that album of which I will never tire. To me, she also has a genius for melodies and I hope she finds greater exposure with that particular ability.

I look forward to seeing Nadine perform one day and look forward to her own musical and writing development. She seems to have come a long way already. Her and Anjani's and Leonard's paths have been remarkably different from one another and, in that fact, they are distinct individuals... each with their own unique and highly admirable qualities. I like them all and I wish them all only the very best as they strive to be themselves.

No doubt, I'll remember all the other things I wanted to say here, but for now, this will do [I think ;-) ].

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Adequacy.net - indie music reviews
http://www.adequacy.net/2011/04/neema-w ... you-think/
NEeMA – Watching You Think
April 1, 2011 by Jordan Blum
Category: Albums (and EPs)

NEeMA - Watching You Think
Singer/Songwriter NEeMA has crafted something deeply personal and precious with her sophomore LP, Watching You Think. Its wonderful unity of lightly orchestrated folk, intelligent poetry, warm production, and endearing, almost vulnerable vocals make it an instant classic in the genre. NEeMA entrances you with her affective tales of life.

Born of Egyptian and Lebanese descent, NEeMA has been an active humanitarian for several years; she’s spent time with the Dali Lama and Mother Teresa, as well as working with children in Egypt and tribal elders in Wekweti. Naturally, her selfless spirit and experiences have inspired her music; produced in association with Leonard Cohen and Pierre Marchard, Watching You Think reveals NEeMA as a kindred spirit to 1960s greats like Joni Mitchel, Bob Dylan, and Paul Simon.

“Unspoken” opens the album with a playful tale of love. NEeMA’s subtle ascent and smooth timbre makes her voice simultaneously seductive and sweet, and her lyrics are such that you hang on every word, reading along, drawn by the story. Complementing her voice and acoustic guitar are clapping hands, strings, and bass, and it’s with this focus on perfectly suited production for each track that Watching You Think truly succeeds.

Much like Gary Jules brilliantly exposed the underlying heartache of Tears for Fears’ “Mad World,” NEeMA brings out all the beauty and poeticism of Dire Straights’ “Romeo & Juliet.” Almost inarguably superior to the original, it’s one of the best cover versions I’ve ever heard. And with simple yet poignant lyrics, an affective melody, and soothing chord changes, “Unwinding” pinpoints the pain of breaking up.

“Running” plays with poetic conventions like rhyming and repetition, and coupled with its engrossing arpeggio and swooning cello, it completely captivates its listener. “Escape” ups the tempo and force a bit, earning its place as the album’s rocking hit single. Discussing any more of the beautiful puzzle that is Watching You Think would give away its gifts, but trust me, every song on here is a treasure.

NEeMA announces herself as a powerful and important singer/songwriter with Watching You Think; baring similarity to the much more eclectic, strange, and adolescent sounding Joanna Newsom. She does justice to the musician poets that came decades ago, and while she isn’t quite on the level of geniuses like Paul Simon and Bob Dylan (and Leonard Cohen, of course), she’s definitely on her way. In those introspective moments that come while driving on a sunny, warm day, there is no better soundtrack than Watching You Think.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

The second video off NEeMA's album Watching You Think premiered on AOL today. The song is Elsa's Lullaby. If you are an animal lover, you better have some tissues nearby. The video is lovely and the song tells a beautiful story.

http://blog.music.aol.com/2011/04/04/ne ... laby-video
Marie
Speaking Cohen
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

NEeMA's singing slowly and sweetly with her gentle finger-picking wrap themselves together in love around Elsa... and Elsa around NEeMA. It all comes together like a meditation as much as a song and so beautifully done. As one who loves animals very much, I relate so well with what it means for you to have Elsa in your life. Thank you for sharing the two of yours story, NEeMA.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
lightning

Post by lightning »

I wonder if Elsa would prefer to be with someone of her same species or if she's into humans more.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

From what I've seen of both dogs and cats... they have their each-other relationships and they have theirs with us... and neither are duplicatable or substitutable. They are what they are and each involved loves them.
~ Oscar Wilde
lightning

Post by lightning »

I need to quote Ambrose Bierce's Devil's Dictionary definition of a dog:

Dog
n. A kind of additional or subsidiary Deity designed to catch the overflow and surplus of the world’s worship. This Divine Being in some of his smaller and silkier incarnations takes, in the affection of Woman, the place to which there is no human male aspirant. The Dog is a survival — an anachronism. He toils not, neither does he spin, yet Solomon in all his glory never lay upon a door-mat all day long, sun-soaked and fly-fed and fat, while his master worked for the means wherewith to purchase the idle wag of the Solomonic tail, seasoned with a look of tolerant recognition.

Return to “Related Artists”