Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
MaryB

Re: Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

Post by MaryB »

Gwen,
I should have remembered that from your encounter with LC :oops: That is a perfect example of how your favorite song will always remain the same. I should have posted my comment here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16719

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Gullivor

Post by Gullivor »

I can not just pick one! I have tried and in the past I guess I have had a "favorite" but now every song that is in "my favorites" means something completly different to each other.
We’ve all come to
This moment
To find out
Who we are.
Painted colors
Scribed words
Sweetly found.
~Gully~
beautifuloser

Post by beautifuloser »

My favourite song of all times is Love calls you by your name.
denise knowles

Post by denise knowles »

It is impossible to come up with a favourite song, they all are, except, Jazz Police, I alway,s have to skip that one. Denise
Kieren

Post by Kieren »

My answer to this question has to be a list, and a partial one at that. In no particular order:

Everybody Knows

The Window

Bird on a Wire

The Gypsy's Wife

Ain't No Cure for Love

Boogie Street

Tower of Song

Teachers

Stories of the Street

There are others which grab me equally, so I guess I have to say that picking just one is impossible.
Devoted fan since 1968
Tony Crosbie

Post by Tony Crosbie »

Anthem I think I would have to choose.
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
Brooklynite

Post by Brooklynite »

Newbie here! (Although I was a fan back at the beginning.) I've been catching on on All Things Cohen in the last few weeks but my current favorite is Everybody Knows. I feel in love with the video even though it is of poor visual quality. I guess it corrupted over time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh9AC0jCGjY It still sounds great, though!

Other songs that I can't currently get out of my head are Dance Me to the End of Love. [small voice]His shared glances with the back-up singers in the video are enough to...um, melt me. Hey, he's a handsome man and he brings out my inner fangirl![/small voice] :oops: Is Jennifer Warnes (sp) one of the singers? Also Closing Time.

His early songs with always have a warm place in my heart. Suzanne, That's no way to Say Goodbye, Sisters of Mercy, Bird on a Wire. Joan of Arc.
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Hi Brooklynite,

Thanks for posting the early 'Everybody knows' video. Really enjoyed seeing him with Julie Christensen and Perla Batalla. They were a great team, although Leonard has always had excellent backup singers and bands. Only the best for him :lol: Sharon Robinson and Jennifer Warnes sang with him before Julie and Perla. Of course, Sharon is still with him.

It is impossible for me to pick a favorite song as I love them all. :D :D
It would be like picking your 'favorite child' :lol:
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Alan_1

Post by Alan_1 »

denise knowles wrote:It is impossible to come up with a favourite song, they all are, except, Jazz Police, I alway,s have to skip that one. Denise
I agree it is the one Leonard Cohen song that I'm not particularly fond of.

I wasn't particularly keen on Dear Heather either when I first heard it but it has grown on me since.

At the moment Avalanche is my favourite, I also love listening to recitation of a Thousand Kisses Deep on Live in London. When I heard it at the o2 concert it gave me 'goose bumps' it was so beautiful.
Manchester 18 June 2008
London 02 17 July 2008
Bournemouth 11 November 2008
London 02 21 June 2013
hophead

Post by hophead »

Who By Fire...at least for this week.
annmarie

Post by annmarie »

Marianne, forever and ever and ever!! :)
Anne
Kai81

Post by Kai81 »

"Hallelujah" is a too-clichéd choice, so i would pick "In My Secret Life" - it's a perfect song in every way
metrichansen

Post by metrichansen »

Today My favourite must be " Crazy to love you" from the new album - I love every LC song, but this is the first time hé sings a song that is exclusively witten about My life....
Cate

Post by Cate »

Right now - Bango
metrichansen

Post by metrichansen »

But then generally I would say "Boogie Street" is one I relate very much to as well - the whole idea of forcing yourself into partaking in everyday life all the time - and that wonderful allegory of tuning the old banjo - don't know hos much of the song is LC though and how much is Sharon...

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”