unified heart

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
jemima

unified heart

Post by jemima »

could anyone tell me what the unified heart symbol thingy is?is it another one of leonards drawings, or is it from something else?
cheers guys, jemima
how come you bother with my heart at all
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

It's Leonard's own symbol - he made David's star using two hearts.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Jarkko wrote:
>[The 'Unified Heart'] is Leonard's own symbol - he made David's star using two hearts.

Yes, it is his symbol, although it was not 'made' by him - as I'm sure he would be the first to admit. Two intertwining hearts representing David's star is a well-documented ancient Jewish image. Examples of it, especially in jewellery, have, for example, been found by archeologists during various excavations. It is thousands of years old.
cracker39

Post by cracker39 »

I've been a fan of LC for about 12 years or so. I saw the Order of the Unified Heart in the Dear Heather CD insert and started looking for some reference to it. I found this poem that isn't signed by an author. I have no reason to think LC wrote it, but from it's content, it's like something he would have written.

http://www.astrofantasy.com/poetry/Sanc ... _heart.htm
Dale (the old Cracker)
I learned to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find one.
SueJB

Re: unified heart

Post by SueJB »

I just saw the concert in Wellington NZ. I'm a gentile but I'm getting very interested in Judaism and may convert. I had to buy one of the t-shrts. The symbol on the front was the "Unified Heart" Magen David, with two hands superimposed doing the "Shin" gesture - that's a priestly benediction, the one that Leonard Nimoy copied for the Vulcan greeting on Star Trek. These two hands frame, in the heart of the hearts, the letter Shin itself. Which is the first letter of the name of God, and also the first letter of the Sh'ma, the Jewish declaration of faith. "Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai eloheinu, Adonai echod."

Leonard Cohen is my Rabbi...
kiwifoster7

Post by kiwifoster7 »

Thanks so much for this information Sue. I bought the same T shirt at the Christchurch concert 3 Nov, without understanding what the hands meant, or the Hebrew letter. So pleased to now know.
SueJB

Post by SueJB »

I'm glad what I posted was useful for you! :-)
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Welcome to the forum Sue! :)
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
horo1984

Post by horo1984 »

Welcome, welcome (cries a voice) Sue!

+1 to the Unified Heart T-shirt Cult - I bought one last week too! :lol:

Jemima, there's fascinating thread on the unified heart here, complete with images and scholarly writings on the subject:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15217&start=0

Happy reading :)

Lester
I needed so much / To have nothing to touch / I've always been greedy that way
Sydney, Australia - 9 November 2010
IMM

Post by IMM »

I think that the noted symbologist, Robert Langdon, explained it to the author Dan Brown (using the Star of David version) as the "blade" and "chalice" in The Da Vinci Code. :shock: :razz:
sum.png
sum.png (11.83 KiB) Viewed 13566 times
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Hi Sarah - check this thread about a necklace -

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23904
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

The Logo of the hands with splayed fingers surrounding what looks like the letter W is in fact 2 of the most important symbols within the Jewish Religeon.

In the middle is the Hebrew letter shin that looks like the letter W.

Shin is for Shaday (pronounced Sha Di (eye) which means god all mighty and is the symbol on all mezuzas or the small objects on doors in Jewish homes. These objects contain the 3 paragraphs of the Shema which is probably the most important prayer in Judaism and is an extract from the Old Testement or Torah. This prayer contains the command to place these objects on doors to mark the house as being a jewish home and to remind occupants when they go through the doors of the house that they are jewish. The opening lines of the Shema are recited on the death bed and would be recited by jews in times of peril or danger.

As for the hands and fingers Jews are divided into 3 groups. The groups are Cohens which are Priests, Levies who are the Priests assistants and Israelites who are everyone else. There are very few Cohens and Levies perhaps 5% each amongst all jews and although they are no better than anyone else they do fulfill certain roles.

Most Jews with the name Cohen are Cohens Lie Leonard) but jews with other names can also be Cohens, such as myself (surname Cass).

One of the roles of the cohens is to bless the congregation on festivals and the cohens drapes the prayer shawl or tallit over their heads and hold it forward as if over the congregation. The tallit is draped over the fingers which are required to be spread as in the logo ie 2 pairs of fingers spread open.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85

Return to “Comments & Questions”