Way off topic question - full body scanner at LV airport

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
KaimiK

Way off topic question - full body scanner at LV airport

Post by KaimiK »

We're getting all of our ducks in a row for our upcoming trip to Las Vegas. When I was reading about current security measures, I found out that Las Vegas uses the new TSA full body scanner. According to the TSA website, you can opt out of these scans, but are then subject to a full body pat-down, apparently no longer using just the back of the hand. There is a lot of sensational information out there, but does anyone have any personal experience with these scanners or what really happens if you decide to opt out? :shock:
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
LisaLCFan

Re: Way off topic question - full body scanner at LV airport

Post by LisaLCFan »

I have had the humiliating misfortune to experience full-body pat-downs on three occasions, and I would by far recommend the scanner, given a choice (I did not have a choice). Having somebody look at a visual impression of my body on a screen from several feet away is much less invasive than being felt-up by a total stranger. They do touch every part of you, and they do not use the backs of their hands. I felt completely violated afterwards. Not a good feeling.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Lisa, I had a similar experience this summer at an airport in Europe. I have been patted down before but outside of my clothes. This was very different :shock: I agree with you, if given the choice I would opt for the scanner. I'll just pretend I don't hear the laughing.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Full body pat downs seem to have been a way of life for a while now, particularly it seems for Brits travelling in North America. For example, Halifax always seem to step up their security for the London flight and have always been pretty "thorough" with their pat downs. This year they installed a body scanner and we had a choice whether to use it. Tony went through the scanner; I opted for the pat down, which was no worse than in the past. It's not pleasant but they're only doing their job. I wouldn't worry about it.

Wendy

PS I have no idea what a pat down using only the back of the hand is like. I have only ever had the full "hands on" experience.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

friscogrl wrote:...if given the choice I would opt for the scanner. I'll just pretend I don't hear the laughing.
I suppose that the full-body scanners may provide some encouragement to hit the gym before a trip! :lol:

Airport security notwithstanding, I am getting VERY excited about Las Vegas! Just think, Marsha, in 24 days, we'll be sipping Manhattans at the Seahorse bar! (And in 25 we'll be seeing Leonard Cohen himself!) I can hardly wait! :D

Cheers!
Lisa
leonardfan2010

Post by leonardfan2010 »

I flew out of the Las Vegas Airport on Oct. 26 and there was no full body scanner at that time.
I've heard that if you can get high doses of radiation from them, and that can be an issue if you are frequent flyer.
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I don't care what they do..... I am doing it to see Leonard :lol: :lol: I won't feel a thing. :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
seadove

Post by seadove »

I wouldn't like a man officer to feel me up. :(
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Thank you all for your responses. This is a big news item at the moment here in the U.S. I think we'll be opting for the scan, though I consider the lesser of two evils. Anyone lays a hand on my children and I won't be responsible for my actions! And to be honest, this will be a huge deterrent in our future travel plans. I hate that we are losing freedoms in the name of national security. I'd much prefer to be profiled and then sniffed by a search dog that to have anyone touch me or be dosed by any form of radiation. We have laws that protect our kids from being touched and educate them about "stranger danger", but I guess it's okay if it's done by a government contractor. Add that our 4th Amendment guard us against unreasonable search and seizure. (Is the fact that we're flying probable cause?) (Not to mention the TSA agents in the booth laughing, enjoying the show, or worse - saving the images for later upload to their computer or the internet.) There are already so many stories of inappropriate pat downs, terrified kids wondering what the heck is going on, lawsuits and more. Benjamin Franklin said "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." I have to agree. I know there will be those who disagree with me, believing that this is a small price to pay for safer skies. And that's okay - I'm all for free speech - even for those who disagree with me. ;-) The question remains as to whether it does significantly improve our safety. And at what cost. Okay, stepping off my soapbox now. Wow, I'm really ticked and I'm such a calm person...

http://www.optoutday.com/
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

When you go in too the scanner, remember this. :)

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/album6.html#42

Wijbe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Wybe wrote:When you go in too the scanner, remember this. :)

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/album6.html#42

Wijbe

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I tried to put the face of a random TSA agent in the song, but it didn't work so well! :shock: I'm so glad I wrote that last post - venting is good.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Whoa, I didn't realize how, um, detailed the scanner images would be. :shock: So, one has the choice between being molested or being viewed totally naked (and getting irradiated in the process). Swell.
leonardfan2010

Post by leonardfan2010 »

I think I'm going to let them molest me.
I figure that if they are going to violate my constitutional rights, I might as well make them work for it.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

They are trialling the full-body scanners here in the UK, I was 'lucky' enough to be selected for the experience this summer and quite frankly, I prefer it to the full body pat-down (which I seem to get a lot too - must have a suspicious face :lol: ). I didn't get to see my image, but from what I saw on the news when the scheme was introduced, it's a lumpy, ghostly white shape that they see, it's not like they're looking at you naked or anything. Quite frankly it's a minor inconvenience compared to having to take off your shoes to be put through the scanner each time - I hate how each time there's a plot they introduce a whole new raft of security measures, honestly I'm surprised they're not making us all take our underwear off since the 'underpants bomber' a couple of years back! I'm sure in 10 years time we'll all have to have barcodes tattooed on our foreheads just to make life simpler for everyone.

It's all the thin end of the wedge - at my work they have instituted random bag searches before they let you in the building! I am considering refusing next time...
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks Wijbe and Kelsey for the link! I love that song...
Very good one! :lol: 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...

Return to “Comments & Questions”