Lou Reed bans Susan Boyle from singing "A Perfect Day"

This section is for all other music-related topics
sturgess66

Lou Reed bans Susan Boyle from singing "A Perfect Day"

Post by sturgess66 »

I don't know why I am posting this :lol: - except maybe that it mentions that Susan was given two hours to rehearse LC's "Hallelujah" after Lou Reed banned her from singing his song - but she apparently left in tears and went back home.

http://news.scotsman.com/news/Susan-Boy ... 6521891.jp
Susan Boyle in Song Ban Walkout

Published Date: 09 September 2010

SUSAN Boyle pulled out of a major US TV performance last night after rock legend Lou Reed banned her from singing Perfect Day.
The West Lothian singing sensation quit her spot on America's Got Talent after being given just two hours to rehearse Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah instead, it was reported today.

Insiders reportedly claimed that the former Velvet Underground frontman refused to let SuBo sing the song because he "didn't like" her.

An insider said: "Everything was prepared. There was a 100-piece choir ready and Susan had spent a long time getting her version of the song perfect.

"But then at the last minute Lou put a stop to it. Susan was devastated. Basically the message came through was that Lou just didn't like her."

Susan Boyle Brought to Tears by Lou Reed Refusal
http://www.billboard.com/news/susan-boy ... tag=hpfeed
lonndubh

Re: Lou Reed bans Susan Boyle from singing "A Perfect Day"

Post by lonndubh »

A Perfect Day :lol: :lol:
Poor Susan .
Copyright is a set of exclusive rights granted to the author or creator of an original work, including the right to copy, distribute and adapt the work. Copyright does not protect ideas, only their expression or fixation. :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Yeah, poor Susan...I guess she'll have to settle for "Femme Fatale" or "Venus in Furs"!
John Etherington

I guess it's Lou Reed's greatest fear to be remembered as "the man who wrote that pretty song for Susan Boyle"!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Looks like all those headlines were a bunch of media hooey. :lol: :lol:
Enhanced by comments of feigned outrage by Simon Cowell. :roll:
Susan's record label had UK rights to perform Lou Reed's song, but not USA rights.

Her new album will include Lou Reeds "Perfect Day" plus Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."
Seems like everyone is including "Hallelujah" on their new album!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/se ... erfect-day
Susan Boyle gets her Perfect Day with permission to cover Lou Reed classic

After initial refusal to perform the song live on America's Got Talent, a version will appear on Boyle's second album, The Gift

Susan Boyle may have been forbidden from singing Perfect Day on America's Got Talent, but the bonnie warbler has got the last laugh, recording the Lou Reed classic for her second album.

Perfect Day will join Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and Crowded House's Don't Dream It's Over on The Gift, due out on 9 November.

Boyle was reportedly in tears earlier this month, when Reed's representatives declared she could not re-interpret his song for American television. Although the media alleged a Boyle/Reed feud, spokespeople claimed it was just a matter of red tape: that Boyle's label had secured UK, not US rights. That didn't stop Simon Cowell from wading in. "Two hours before she is going to perform it we get a phone call," he told BBC Radio 2. "Lou Reed will not allow her to sing Perfect Day ... [It] is so petty, so pathetic."

Happily (or, in the case of Boyle-phobic Velvet Underground fans, calamitously), they seem to have worked everything out. Perfect Day will be the lead single on The Gift, which also includes Christmas songs, the Cohen and Crowded House covers, and a duet with Boyle's own YouTube discovery, Amber Stassi. "I wanted there to be a mix of songs that would flow with all our moods this holiday season," Boyle said in a statement.

Lou Reed's Perfect Day, released in 1972, is variously interpreted as either a song about obsessive lovers, heroin, or getting drunk and going to the zoo.
John Etherington

Maybe Susan could go for a tr1logy and include John Cale's "Leaving it Up to You"?!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

The New York Post advises that Susan Boyle is going to be singing on "Dancing With the Stars" tomorrow night (October 5th)
She will not be singing Lou Reed's "Perfect Day."
No siree Bob. :D
She will be singing ... Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." :lol:
Susan Boyle to sing on ‘Dancing with the Stars’
Last Updated: 10:48 AM, October 4, 2010
Posted: 10:44 AM, October 4, 2010

Star “Britain’s Got Talent” singer Susan Boyle will make an appearance on Tuesday night’s “Dancing with the Stars,” TMZ reported Monday.

Sources told the entertainment website that Boyle will sing Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” on the live episode. The cover song also appears on her forthcoming album “The Gift,” due out in November.

Boyle’s last appearance on U.S. television ended with the singer leaving in tears after Lou Reed barred her from performing his song "Perfect Day" on "America's Got Talent" and she did not have another song prepared. But Boyle has previously joined “Dancing with the Stars” without issue, appearing last year to sing “I Dreamed a Dream,” the song that catapulted her to fame.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/t ... z11Q2YDnJI
lonndubh

Post by lonndubh »

Oh G-d not another fec--n Hallelujah
How many is that this year :?:
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Well - scratch that. She has cancelled. See "UPDATE" below -
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... he-stars/1
Susan Boyle cancels 'Dancing With The Stars' appearance
01:15 PM

Susan Boyle is heading to Dancing With The Stars.

No, not to dance. To sing.

And unfortunately, it won't be live. ABC has confirmed to us that Boyle is taping a performance this evening to air on tomorrow's Dancing results show.

She'll be singing Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen. Accompanying her will be pro dancers Jonathan Roberts and his wife Anna Trebunskaya.

UPDATE: ABC has just told us that Susan Boyle's appearance has been canceled. She has a throat infection and can't leave her home in Scotland.
Diane

Post by Diane »

lonndubh wrote:Oh G-d not another fec--n Hallelujah
:)
sebmelmoth2003

Susan Boyle sings hallelujah

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

wonderful news!! ;-)

susan's new album - the gift - contains her own inimitable rendition of the H song!!

1. “Perfect Day”
2. “Hallelujah”
3. “Do You Hear What I Hear” (Duet with Amber Stassi)
4. “Don’t Dream It’s Over”
5. “The First Noel”
6. “O Holy Night”
7. “Away in a Manger”
8. “Make Me a Channel of Your Peace”
9. “Auld Lang Syne”
10. “O Come All Ye Faithful”

click through to susan's web site for further details -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Boyle
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

susan quoted in today's daily express.

...Reed later insisted the ban was due to licensing laws in the American market, but Boyle does not believe his excuse.

Talking to Piers Morgan for his Life Stories TV show, she says, "That's his childishness, not mine. It was a bit childish on his part. A man of his calibre and his talent, a bit childish.

"Should that be changed I'd be happy to do it again. I thought he was being childish. Mr Reed, I have respect for you as an artist but you ought to be more considerate."
cheesebeer

Post by cheesebeer »

Lou and Sue should get together and do a version of Sister Ray, I would buy it.
‎I got so I could take his name —
Without — Tremendous gain —
That Stop-sensation — on my Soul —
And Thunder — in the Room — Dickinson
This weeks Grateful Dead show listening club review: 1970 3 24 Pirates World
rpan

Re: Susan Boyle sings Hallelujah

Post by rpan »

For now this can be sampled at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUxU8nYR53E

I am saying nothing!
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
sebmelmoth2003

damn the IFPI

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

it's small-minded and counter-productive IMO when record/management companies try to take down each and every unlicensed video-recording.

i'm sure it can be found elsewhere on the interweb and each time they take down one illicit video, more will spring up.

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by IFPI.

http://www.ifpi.org

Return to “Other music”