Geoff Gompers is launching the 2004 Event

The New York Event - before and after!
jarkko
Site Admin

Geoff Gompers is launching the 2004 Event

Post by jarkko »

Lincoln 1998. Montreal 2000. Hydra Greece 2002. New York 2004 - Next We Take Manhattan.

Read the open letter from Geoff Gompers, chairman of the Organizing Committee for the 2004 Event. His memo can be found at
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/ny-index.html

Links to the new New York Event pages are also on the front page at
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com

The Event Committee has begun negotiations with Leonard’s alma mater, Columbia University for use of the college’s dorms and conference facilities.

Following the tradition of the Montreal 2000 and Hydra 2002 Events, the New York Event will be in the Summer of 2004. Columbia University seems to have the best availability for its facilities during late July and early August.

The Committee is fast learning that planning the Event is an industrious enterprise. Volunteers to be on the Committee are a must. Without a lot of help, the Event may not become a reality. The Committee is being chaired by Geoff Gompers (Geoff no rey). Please contact him at gompers@voicenet.com if you wish to be on the Committee!
Last edited by jarkko on Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Jarkko,

After reading your [this] same announcement on the Board, I've e-mailed Geoff to offer in whatever way seems most feasible. I hope it comes to fruition. At least they're to the negotiating stage with Columbia.

*Partisan ~ With my anticipated attendance, if you plan to cross the water on this one, you still have two years to adjust. :lol: You may have a few who wish to join you in forming a support group in the interim, of course. :wink: *

*.....* ~ aka "preemptive strike" aka "learning to duck" :lol:

In all seriousness, however.....
All good things,
Lizzytysh
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

Lizzy, you had promised to all and sundry on this board that you would be unable to attend, no matter where the event was held. Be a woman of principle and don't go. I realise this will be hard, but you will gain the respect of us all in return. A small price to pay for so rare a prize.

p.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Sorry, commitment [to Leonard] calls.....point me to the promise...'twas surely in jest. Besides [with gentle, teasing tip o' the hat to Peter], 'tis a woman's prerogative to change her mind. :wink: Simply make "acceptance & adjustment" priority on your agenda. Better yet, volunteer yourself to help out :). The serious, who are able, will attend regardless.....and that's the way it ought to be.

All good things,
Lizzytysh
George.Wright

To Liz

Post by George.Wright »

Go the event and i will try and go. Partisan don't hide behind a mask, go and put your money where your mouth is!!!!!
:D Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Great, Georges.....all the people with Frequent Flyer Miles [or cash] who have managed to get to the others will likely not have a problem with getting to New York, either. For me, it happens to be a major project of sorts. So, having gradually warmed to the idea of attending a huge, Leonard-based, group event [when he's always been such a personal and private part of my life], I was very relieved and heartened to see its finalized location so relatively nearby.
Anne

Post by Anne »

NYC sounds like a great place for the next event. I hope I will be able to attend. Still sorry I missed Hydra. Best of luck, Geoff.

Not to turn this message into a personal attack, but since this is the first time I have posted in a while, I have to say that I am very disturbed with the direction of this forum. It is so heavily dominated by such a small number of overeager posters that it is a bore to read and very little interesting discussion goes on. Some members of this board should be encouraged to talk to each other by MSN messenger and free the forum for some other LC fans.
Linda

Post by Linda »

I have been there many times, I love New York, great place to visit! Would like very much to attend, but time will tell. Good luck with the project Geoff!
Linda
linmag

Post by linmag »

There's no way I can make it to Manhattan, but if we stick to the song 2006 will be in Berlin, so I look forward to meeting you all there. :)
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
evelyn

Post by evelyn »

Geoff,

I live 5 minutes from Manhattan. By all means count me in as a volunteer!

New York New York it's a wonderful town
the Bronx is up and the Battery's down
the people ride in a hole in the ground
New York New York it's a wonderful town

from On The Town

Evelyn

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in New York 2004”