Bob Dylan in Limerick

This section is for all other music-related topics
TipperaryAnn

Bob Dylan in Limerick

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Couldn't resist going to hear Bob Dylan in Thomond Stadium Limerick, as it's only 60 miles from where I live. Glad I went, but that's it - first and last ! Apparently he was in good form, performing for 2 hours, not hiding at the back of the stage, and doing 4 encores. He said not one word to the audience, just came on, went through about 18 songs, most of which were unrecognisable to me, even the ones I knew well ! Couldn't make out the lyrics at all, and even "Blowing in the wind" sounded totally different, like a parody of its former self. To be fair, the sound was loud but not clear back up in the stands; the wind probably didn''t help. The REAl fans were down on the pitch, standing in front of the stage, bopping and dancing and cheering. Good I suppose that the cheaper tickets were the best, avoiding the elitist nonsence of "if I'm not in the front row it's a major disaster" you find at times on this forum ! The event was good value, as there were 4 other acts before Dylan, including Seasick Steve and David Gray, bringing in more young people than you would find at a Cohen concert . Dylan's fans were clearly happy, even though his voice is in bad shape and he makes no effort to charm the audience; fandom is really a form of madness! :roll: Shakespeare was right; " there is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so ". If any of you were there I would love to hear what you thought of it, or of any of Dylan's concerts. It just made me look forward even more to Lissadell... I liked his harmonica playing though !
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
John Etherington

Re: Bob Dylan in Limerick

Post by John Etherington »

There was an old singer called Bob
Who once got approached by a mob
A girl took a photo
And if I may quote-o
He then told us all to fuck off!
Last edited by John Etherington on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Hi Ann,

I saw him at the Hop Farm festival in Kent, which was the day before your show - this apparently was a great set, but I came away feeling a bit disappointed. I knew exactly what I was going to get, but I thought that the experience of seeing him live would somehow 'lift' it - er, not really! I was right down in front of the stage, and all around people were LOVING it, and for the first few songs it was quite fun, and seeing him close up was great, but after a while it just flagged (though it didn't help it was 30 degree heat!). What I hate is the fact that if you make any criticism his diehard fans accuse you of being a fairweather fan who expects him to sound like he did on Blonde on Blonde, or that you're not 'getting' his amazing new reinterpretations, whereas you're actually just prepared to say that his voice is shot! (I really miss his expressive voice). But the band were great and I loved seeing Bob play, just wish I could have enjoyed the singing a bit more.

All of this is quite a contrast with a certain other performer ;-) I'm going to Lissadell too and am very excited about it! See you there :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I wasn't at the concert as the date didn't suit but after watching some videos on youtube I glad I didn't. His voice is f****d simple as and though I love his music I don't think I'll ever go and see him live. Yeah his fans are very blinded by the fact he can't sing anymore and I'm sick of them using age as an excuse. Leonard and Macca can still sing. Yes the voices change (well not much in Maccas case) but they can still hold a tune! Years ago I was warned not to see Dylan as he was liable to walk off stage or sing songs no one not even the die hards have heard of but now it is the simple fact he can't deliver to the same standard anymore.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
remote1

Post by remote1 »

I saw Bob Dylan in London several times in the 90s, and it was already exactly as you describe it. I think we were all projecting his past magic onto his present mediocrity, and it was still magnetic. However, there was the odd night when something would happen and here he was, back with us, with a voice, a sensible tempo, and some interaction. You just had to catch him on a good day... I remember once going night after night to see him at the Hammersmith Odeon even though I had the flu (sorry to everyone who caught it from me) and a fever and could hardly stand for the pain in my body... Sweet days of youth, forever gone! :D
"We are so lightly here"
sebmelmoth2003

Bob Dylan impressionist on london stage.

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

there's a production of the tempest at the old vic in london in which actor stephen dillane does a bob dylan impersonation

review by quentin letts :

...The play does not really take off until we reach the forest where 'Dook' Senior (Michael Thomas) lives in exile. Mr Dillane is again hard to hear, but his Jaques i s sardonic and indisputably English and, for me, a success.

There is a bold moment when Jaques sings a song and mockingly does so in the style of Bob Dylan.

The music features acoustic drumming and some lovely on-stage violin work. Sturdy folk songs, competent yokelling led by Anthony O'Donnell...
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Enjoyed all your comments thanks. Sound being too loud but lacking clarity didn't help; I'm sure Leonard's excellent sound engineers will surmount the difficulties of an outdoor venue! There is a huge amount of drinking at these outdoor concerts; people staggering up and down steep steps with plastic cups full of beer, spilling most of it ! ( No excuse really as there was plenty of time between acts to go out, get a drink and return) A friend went to Christy Moore in Cork the same weekend, and reported that Christy has banned drinking during his concerts; the bars closed when the music began. Wise man ! Any chance Leonard or his management might copy ?
John Etherington

Hi Ann,

I tried to send you a message, but I didn't appear to be able to send it. My limerick is totally true! This happened on a February night, prior to one of the Hammersmith Odeon concerts. I was in the centre, close to the front, and Bob started the show with "Positively Fourth Street" and "Ballad of a Thin Man"! Here's the story as I reported it on the board, 18 months ago:

Re: cohen v. dylan
by John Etherington » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:34 am

Okay, a good excuse to repeat my first (and only) Dylan encounter and my first Leonard encounter. February 1989: A small group of us approach Dylan in the back streets of Mayfair. He's with two people, hooded and looks pretty rough. However, I make reasonable eye contact with him. A girl next to me takes a photo of him. "Aw f--- you all" he mumbles and lunges toward the girl with a newspaper in his hand. Then looking at me he says ("Don't Look Back" style) "Why d'ya let her do that, maan?".. Then scowling, he turns round and walks away. July 1976: I approach Leonard as he's leaving the New Victoria Theatre in London. Like Dylan, he's with two people, is wearing a grey suit and looks pretty much like he does on the cover of "Death of a Ladies Man". I thank him for the show, and extend my hand to shake his hand . He holds my hand firmly, and looks at me intensely, as if he's looking into the depths of my soul. I ask him if he would mind signing my programme. "Sure man" he says, then neatly signs his name on the programme.

All good things, John E
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Hey John, Sounds like we may have crossed paths twenty years ago at the Hammersmith Odeon! :D
But seriously this story is quite sad... Well, apart from the Leonard Cohen bit...

PS: Do you remember if you caught the flu after one of the gigs in February 1989? ;-)
PPS: I think I still have bootleg tapes of some of the Hammersmith concerts somewhere in my attic! :lol:
"We are so lightly here"
John Etherington

Hi remote1,

As it happens, I did catch the flu during the '90 Dylan concerts at Hammersmith, but you weren't to blame. Here's the story:

In 1989, I went to four out of six Dylan concerts at Hammersmith, and they were all good with varying set-lists. In 1990, I went to about five, out of a possible 8 or 9. But, the set lists turned out to be virtually identical every night. After my first few shows, I had an accident. I was working in a bookshop, and a disturbed customer slammed the door, breaking the glass. I ran after him, but slipped and cut my hand badly on a shard of glass. An ambulance took me to hospital, where I had stitches. The accident lowered my immune system, and I caught a mega dose of flu...I was legless and shivering. I had to miss a few concerts, and I also remember that it was snowing outside, and the Gulf War was raging.

Somehow, I managed to regain enough energy to go to the Saturday concert, which wasn't that good. I then decided to go along on the Sunday (the final night) and sell my ticket, which I did. However the Dylan inner circle persuaded me that I had done the unthinkable, and at the eleventh hour, I managed to buy a similarly good ticket at a straight price from a tout. The concert turned out to be the worst of all. Ronnie Wood appeared with Dylan that night, and that tells you all you need to know (think Live Aid!).

Since then, I have still been to at least one Dylan concert each time that he has done a proper UK tour, but I haven't bothered with the outdoor ones. My last Dylan concert was the Roundhouse, where I managed to get right to the front. But I can honestly say that I enjoyed the queuing much more than the concert! Despite this, I still like Dylan's studio albums.

All the best, John E
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Hi again John

What a talented writer you are!

I was thinking that the Hammersmith concerts must have lasted well into the 90s because I remember going to several of them with the man who became my husband, and we met in 1992...

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread Ann! I think it's fair to say that good old Bob was already as shite then as he is now, and that's why we had to go to so many of his shows!

And yes, I still love his studio albums and old live albums too! 8)
"We are so lightly here"
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Remote1, John,
I love your stories! it's great to hear from people who were fans before "fandom" became popular. (I wish more of those who went to Leonard's concerts in the past would post their experiences. I will look up Dylan v. Cohen, thanks John - sounds interesting.) Outdoor concerts can be chaotic; I hope Lissadell will be the exception. Looking forward to it, anyway !
Jokapaikanapina

Post by Jokapaikanapina »

I find it really weird that even though Dylan's performing has been pretty awful since the early 90's (from what I've heard), he still manages to do pretty good singing on his albums. Either he always loses his voice during tours or just doesn't give a fuck about perfoming, or then he just does millions of takes while recording.
GinaDCG

Post by GinaDCG »

As improbable as it seems, actually came to Charleston West Virginia sometime in the '90s. I had farily good seats and I anticipated enjoying the concert more then I actually did. Dylan looked as though he was ready to fall asleep at any moment the entire time he was on stage.

This was during Dylan's "post conversion" phase and he did not sing any songs except Christian-themed songs, most from the LP "Slow Train Coming." Although I longed for Tamborine Man (which actually IS about a Jesus/Buddah type prophet) I did not resent his adherence to only his new, Christian songs, but I did resent the somnambulant delivery.

Reading Proust would have been more exciting.

Return to “Other music”