You Can Find Your Love. . .

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
John Etherington

Re: You Can Find Your Love. . .

Post by John Etherington »

holydove - I think that take of "Dress Rehearsal Rag" used on "Songs of Love and Hate" must have captured the exact feeling that Leonard intended with the song, and that is prbably why he didn't bother to do a re-take just to change the word in question from "on" to "in".
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hi JohnE,

Yes, I do find it hard to believe that Leonard wouldn't have noticed that he said "on" instead of "in"; or that he noticed a mistake, but couldn't, or just didn't bother to change it, out of laziness or whatever (!) - that doesn't sound much like our Leonard! I'm guessing it could be, either a deliberate change, or a mistake that he decided he liked. And we know Leonard likes to change things in subtle, or not so subtle, ways. (Of course, I could be wrong, but. . .)

But now we are back where we started!

Your suggestion is interesting - that he liked the feel of it that way. . .

Suzuki Roshi once said: "We say 'inner world' or 'outer world', but actually there is just one whole world." So maybe, whether the diagrams are inside, or outside, the envelope doesn't matter, as in reality there is no "inside" or "outside" (I know this is a stretch - the issue at hand just reminded of that. . .) Or maybe the narrator is in such a highly confused, or highly enlightened, state, that the boundary between inside & outside just doesn't exist for him anymore, or is not possible to locate.

Or maybe the narrator of the song is now drawing diagrams "on" the envelope, according to instructions that he found "in" the envelope; or copying diagrams "on" the envelope, which he found "in" the envelope. . .
Or maybe there are some things that are beyond rational explanation and, like you said, we might just contemplate the feel of it. Thank you for your thoughts. . .
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

remote1 wrote:Well, there's always the one I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20740#p213845
But maybe it's a different one you're thinking of LisaLCFan? :)
Yes, that's the one! I admit that I did not read all the previous posts. :oops:
remote1

Post by remote1 »

:D That's not the worst crime I've heard of! Just thought I might save you having to search for it! ;-)
"We are so lightly here"
holydove

Post by holydove »

JohnE,

If you are still reading this thread, I just realized that what you meant was that the totality of that rendition on Song of Love & Hate captured the feeling Leonard wanted (not just that line or that word), so he didn't go back and change that one word, because then the whole feeling of the song, as it manifested in that particular moment, could be lost. I think that is a really good theory, and a likely possibility - thank you. . .

(sorry, I didn't get exactly what you meant at the first reading of your post)

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”