On a chair with a dead magazine.....

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Lilifyre

On a chair with a dead magazine.....

Post by Lilifyre »

I know someone had posted a question about this phrase a few months ago but to save myself, I can't find the thread. Anyhow, as I was on the road over the week of Thanksgiving....playing Leonard the whole 2000+ miles....my partner asked about/commented on several of Leonard's lyrics. As this phrase was played she spontaneously burst out with, "He's making love in a dentist chair????" :shock: :lol: I think I've successfully converted her to the religion of "Leonardcohenists". I nearly ran off the road with that one! Just thought I'd share it with the rest of you. :D

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
brightnow

Re: On a chair with a dead magazine.....

Post by brightnow »

Here you go Lili:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19903&start=0

Also, since you participated in that thread, you should be able to find it quite easily by clicking the "View your posts" link (aka "Ego Search").
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
seadove

Post by seadove »

I want you on a chair with a dead magazine.

I always wandered what will he be doing with a dead mag, perhaps somebody knows?

:?
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

He doesn't do anything with the dead magazine. It's to show that the chair is lonely and unused ... so unloved and unappreciated that a magazine placed there just after publication is still there months later. So let's make love on the chair and cheer it up.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hydriot, I really like your explanation. I had a similar (maybe slightly different) take on it - that the dead (very old, outdated) magazine is a reflection of how useless & abandoned he feels, since the woman he loves is no longer with him. It reflects his lonesome, lost state of mind, and as he sits there, in this chair, maybe even leafing through this magazine, which has been abandoned like he has been (maybe the chair has been abandoned too), he continues to long for this woman who, I believe, has commited suicide (as in, "the pools that you lift on your wrist").
GinaDCG

Post by GinaDCG »

I posted on the earlier thread about my image of the dead magazine. I was a sickly child and I spent a lot of time in a lot of grim waiting rooms in 1930s era office buildings in southern West Virginia. A room with dirty black and green tiles. The sound of a ceiling fan whose only function is to stir the dust around in the room below. A bunch of drab, hard chairs with gashes in what little upholstery they ever had. And a magazine which is so out-of-date it is "dead." If the narrator can envision you and having sex with you in THIS place, then he must be highly motivated indeed.
Cate

Post by Cate »

I like that... I also like the dentist chair one too, but I wish that that had not been mentioned as my dentist is fairly attractive and that's not the thought I want going through my head the next time I get my teeth clean.

I'm with Hydriot and Holydove . A chair with a dead magazine makes me think of a still room - lifeless as if the room has paused for some sad reason and the thought of making love there, bringing life there seems to be a way of easing this pain.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

I always had a more morbid take on this. I thought it hinted at death/suicide- someone slumped in the chair, the magazine being an automatic weapon part. (From dictionary: "magazine: an ammunition storage and feeding device within or attached to a repeating firearm.") The magazine would be dead because its bullets would be spent...
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Lilifyre »

I know that to find out exactly what was meant by the phrase "on a chair with a dead magazine" we'd have to dig into the psyche of both Leonard and Garcia Lorca. Lorca because he wrote the original and Leonard because he translated it to English. But like all good poetry, I think it means what it means. That is to say, good poetry means something different, something unique to each person who reads it.

My partner's reaction, that they were making love in a dentist's chair, comes from her own experiences. Her brother is a dentist and who but doctors and dentists have an unlimited supply of old/"dead" magazines? It was an image that just popped into her mind. So I think truly that phrase means whatever you think it means. All the ideas expressed here are correct. They are each what the mind comes up with when the ears hear the words.

Now, personally, I get a mental picture of a long lost love. Perhaps one of the partners has died, or perhaps they have just drifted apart. But it appears to me that it's a pleasant memory of a love at a younger time of life. There's a sweetness to it. There is no regret, just a pleasant memory of a time gone by.

When Adam Cohen sings it, I get a much different feeling. That version is much more intense. There is more of a feeling of having lost something and regretting that loss. The sweet memory is not there. It's much more the wounded lover....wounded by his own clumsiness and perhaps self-centeredness.

I like both versions but they are so very different in feeling.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I look at this line in an almost perverted sense. The phrasing suggests that the recipient of the attention will be in the chair. And the 'dead magazine' means that whatever held the reader's/recipient's interest originally, it is now being unread, therefore the person in the chair is giving their undivided attention to the act of love that is taking place and no article in that magazine, however salacious could compare to this moment.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mutti

Post by mutti »

This post has been edited... ;-)
Last edited by mutti on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Steven

Post by Steven »

"Life" used to be a popular print magazine. Perhaps the poem and song are referring to that publication,
sarcastically.
seadove

Post by seadove »

Maybe he means something nasty in the sexual field. :(
Arnold the Frog

Post by Arnold the Frog »

"Magazine" (for bullets) is not in the original: it's "el libro muerto".
The thought that it might be taken to be a bullet-holder
took me so much by surprise I took a while convincing myself
that it couldn't really have been meant by Cohen either.
The magazine as bee, dying in fulfilment by bringing death -
cute, but not (I think) intended.

Surely the "chair" and the "hallway" are not meant to be quite
so thoroughly contrasted. The syntax suggests not: the chair
is introduced, and then the hallway as a natural extension,
more of the same. The magazine is "dead" as a parallel
to the loveless hallway.

Vienna is seen as exotic, decadent, a place of weird but
frozen treasures, a place of death and smiling decay. The
imagery here seems to be rather of the Hofburg than of
Die Fledermaus, but maybe that's just me.

Cohen the Unstoppable Sex Machine threatens to burst into it,
bringing urgent sweaty lust to shake up its dust. The counterposed
images of death are nowhere violent: firearms would shake the
place up in quite a different way. Moreover, they might
"work", in that they really might change the rules. As it is, trying
to escape by desire looks doomed (maybe that's just me again).
Every time we are invited to imagine sex, or rather to consider it
as a proposition (don't you just love the ambivalence of
"proposition"?) we are brought back to the waltz - a waltz which
is itself insinuating and demanding pity - which
ends up bringing everything ("it's all that there is") into
its courtly mime of desire. It may have a salt tail, but it
breathes inebriation and death over everything.
If anything, this is stronger in Cohen's version ("I'll never
forget you, you know" vs. "Te quiero siempre").

I had better stop here before I kill another virtual tree.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi Arnold the Frog,

Want to acknowledge your post. Interesting and a good use, i.m.o., of the resource of the virtual tree.
Even sex, can be a lifeless dance. I suspect that the bees and other non-human creatures in their procreatively
directed sex drives can be more gusto driven than humans, certainly those humans found in the song and the
poem it derived from.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”