Sleeping with Leonard

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Lilifyre

Sleeping with Leonard

Post by Lilifyre »

Someone mentioned on another thread that she likes to listen to Leonard's music while she sleeps, that his songs are in her dreams. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does this. I often plug into my iPod when I go to bed and, of course, that's the only thing on it, Leonard Cohen. :lol:

Even when I don't sleep with the iPod, I still frequently hear his music in my head during the night and often wake with one of his songs racing thru my head when I awaken. This morning I had the closing lines of "Democracy" in my head as I awoke.

But I'm stubborn as those garbage bags
that Time cannot decay,
I'm junk but I'm still holding up
this little wild bouquet:
Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.

Ever happen to you????

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
Stamatina

Re: Sleeping with Leonard

Post by Stamatina »

Oh, you have no idea! :D
I sleep very well with music on and usually Leonard is my choice, because his music makes me comfortable. I often wake up in the morning and realize the song that was playing on the radio in my dream is actually the same that was playing on the stereo at that moment and then, yes, it sticks in my head and I keep murmuring the melody all day long.

My mother is ok with Leonard's music playing at night and when I ask her "what do you think we should listen tonight?" (because it isn't always Leonard) she always picks either him or silence. :razz: My brother, on the other hand, hated it absolutely. :razz: In fact, one day, a few days after he had moved out, we were in his car and a cd played, which he had burnt himself long ago and which included Dance Me To The End Of Love in the tracklist. He said we wouldn't have time to listen to it, because the house where we were going was not far and then I told him that even if we did, I'm pretty sure he'd skip to the next song (he had got sick of Leonard's music, thanks to me). Then he turned and said "Nah, I wouldn't. Yesterday I realized I'm never going to sleep listening to Cohen again..". I found it so funny.. :razz:
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
GinaDCG

Post by GinaDCG »

I often dream about whatever I was reading or listening to right before bedtime. So, I edit my pre-bedtime choices: no horror flicks, no Stephen King novels.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

I was drawn into this thread by quite another idea suggested by the header! :oops: :D On the subject in hand, I can't go to sleep listening to Leonard as my mind would be racing too much, his songs always make me think and think. However, I do often find that when I get up in the morning I have a song going round my head (usually an angry one like Dress Rehearsal Rag as I HATE getting up!), so you're not alone Lilifyre!

Sweet dreams :D

I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

somewhat_nifty,

I was thinking what you were thinking! And with that very nice photo you've included, how do you expect us to sleep now? :lol:

Lisa
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I have often fell asleep listening to Leonards music. However I had to stop listening that late because if I fell asleep before Hallelujah came on I'd wake up singing along to it and then be wide awake for hours after!!!!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

Yes, I often sleep with Leonard singing in my ear. I can drift in and out of sleep and he is still there. I removed some tracks of Death of a Ladies Man for when I sleep, as I do really prefer the more softer tones to relax me. When it gets to Dear Heather tracks I am then sort of really drifting with the gentle sleepiness of it all.... Oh Yea.....

Then the cat gets entangled with the wire to the ear piece..............
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA »

musicmania

rather listen to No Way To Say Goodbye and Take This Waltz, Go No More.
If you can not sleep, then dancing with Leonard. :D ;-)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Oh My G-d!!
Seems we're all tared with the same brush :o That thread title.......
I thought .......uhmmmm.....and ah... uhmmmm.
Then your photo somewhat_nifty :shock: (I hope you arrived back in the UK safely)
And of course, just to add fuel to the fire I happened to spy lightasabreeze's avatar :roll:
I think it's all too much for me.........I'm just going to have sleep with Leonard's Various Positions CD tonight to calm me down ;-)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
mutti

Post by mutti »

Oh Dear...I am off to sleep now..and this header had me off on other thoughts at first...and so all I will say is when I go to sleep and close my eyes...
there is no need for anything else as I hold the songs in my heart. I will fall into a deep sleep and have yummy dreams...thats all I will say for now... ;-)
good night and sweet dreams and Leonard wherever you are I hope you have a sweet sleep as well...
Mutti
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Glad I'm not the only one with my mind in the gutter! And any excuse to post one of my favourite pics ;) I actually ended up having a very intense dream last night that I was at Leonard's upcoming concert in Lille and was rushing around trying to give away my two spare tickets as the show was about to start and I didn't want them to be wasted, I woke up feeling quite panicked :lol: (I do have two spare tickets but am going to try and sell them, I can't afford to be that generous!).
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

I'm so glad I started this thread. :razz: Evidently, I was sleeping with Leonard myself last night. I awoke at roughly 4 AM with "Sisters of Mercy" playing in my head...no iPod, just my own background music. The lines are all rearranged in my mind right now and keep flooding me with the feelings of longing, gentleness, encouragement....etc.
We weren't lovers like that
And besides it would still be alright.
That one seems to be the appropriate verse for this thread. So whether you're sleeping with Leonard's voice sweetly caressing you, or dreaming of his body doing the same, it's alright. :) ;-)

Sweet dreams to Leonard and all his fans.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

LEONKA wrote:musicmania

rather listen to No Way To Say Goodbye and Take This Waltz, Go No More.
If you can not sleep, then dancing with Leonard. :D ;-)
I would have my mp3 player with Leonards songs on shuffle and therefore not know what was coming next. Each song song would be a pleasant surprise and I'd get more and more relaxed and soon drift of 'til that moment maybe 5 minutes or even 30 minutes later Hallelujah would start and my mind would automatically awaken and I'd find myself 100% alert singing along. As my user name suggests I am totally music mad and over the years I've often gone to bed listening to the music of various artists and fallen asleep to the tunes but never before had 1 specific song woken me the way Hallelujah does. Strange I know but for me this song transcends all others and maybe this is the reason this happens.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

Musicmania, perhaps it's that "secret chord" in Hallelujah that awakens you :shock: Years ago, more years than I care to mention, I had a similar thing happen, altho not with a Leonard Cohen song. I was going to college and lived in what could best be described as a boarding house. I would listen to the radio every night, all night to fall asleep. This is when FM radio was rather new and my favorite station played various artists of the time....Dylan, Baez, Rolling Stones, Beatles, and Pink Floyd. Every Sunday night they would play Pink Floyd's "Echoes". That song would immediately wake me and keep me wide awake the rest of the night. Something about the song that made my brain NOT sleep.

You have my sympathies.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA »

Hello musicmania

I have a mp3 player songs from Leonard in the first order: calmer, and then rhythmic. The song I'm Your Man, listen´, if I want to know if Leonard also thinks of me. 8) :razz: :oops:
And First We Take Manhattan to listen when I do not want to sleep. From the bed to shoot out. With Leonard, under all circumstances. ;-)

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”