Leonard, don't do France

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tinderella

Re: Leonard, don't do France

Post by tinderella »

Okay, let's do our own replay here and see how we score :lol: . With that hand, we don't have a hope

http://www.jeu-de-main.com/
casterbridgecohen

Post by casterbridgecohen »

Of course everyone is assuming (ASSUME - Make an ASS of U and ME) that Ireland would have won the Penalty shoot out.

If only either of the old stalwarts Duff or Keane had taken their chances we would not be having this discussion.

And as for Roy Keane - dont the words 'baggage' and 'chip on shoulder come readily to mind'.

Let it go Roy before Ipswich let you go!

Actually maybe the mellow side of Roy Keane would come out at a Cohen concert - now theres a thought 'When Lennie met Roy' - talk about worlds colliding!
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam
Henning

Post by Henning »

This is so funny - I managed to score my birth date.
Attachments
france.jpg
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
efc

Post by efc »

tinderella wrote:There is a war between the rich and poor
a war between les bleus and the green

There is a ban on pain au chocolate for me
there is a pain so hard i can hardly see

Leonard please don't do France next year
Let's drown our sorrows in a glass of beer

Leonard, please detour to your Ireland
There's a law, there's an Arm, there's a Hand
Allez les bleus. I like this poem by Irishman Roy Keane:

"They can complain all they want but France are going to the World Cup - get over it.
France were there for the taking and Ireland didn't do it. Same old story.

Ireland had their chances in the two games and they never took them. They had chances at Croke Park (in the first leg) and they had chances on Wednesday.

They didn't take them, but it's the usual FAI [Football Association of Ireland] reaction - 'we've been robbed, the honesty of the game...' It's rubbish

There was one match against Georgia where Ireland got a penalty and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen which changed the whole course of the game.

I don't remember the FAI after the game saying we should give them a replay."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 370327.stm

No wonder Mr C is going back to France :)
trish

Post by trish »

Hi Rob

Yeah we all heard those words by Roy Keane.. in one ear and out the other.. He has a tendency to take the totally opposite stance to everyone else and is not averse to whinging himself, as you may remember. In fact, he is still whinging since Saipan, 7 years ago. I am glad he has found a listener in you... :)

Bernie

Your poems are amazing. And as for your Limericks! Keep them coming!

Henning and everyone else, enjoyed all your comments... Sure you have to laugh, to be sure to be sure

Diana you should just come to Ireland anyway when you're en-route to Krakow and Moscow... There was a time when all planes crossing the Atlantic had to stopover in ireland en route...
ladydi wrote:I for one want to experience that marvellous Irish spirit!

We have plenty of those....
ladydi wrote:ps...if I get enough fans, maybe we can also bring "San Jose" with us :D :D ..the combination could be lethal ;-)
Is this a new deadly cocktail you are inventing? I imagine it would be quite explosive with the San Jose gang..
trish

Post by trish »

Anyway... did you not hear the news?

FIFA have granted their permission for a replay of the last half of the extra time section of Wednesday night's match to take place in Stade de France

Ireland will be playing right to left
Attachments
LetzteChance.jpg
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

If they install two huge pinball paddles across the goal and let the Irish coach control them it might be an acceptable solution (and fun to watch). The players will have to wear bells on top of their heads so that they sound an audible "ding" when the ball hits them.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Trish and Brightnow... thanks for the laughs.... Brilliant!
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

I read a very sad story in the Ballymena Times the other day.

It told of how the local police in Ballyloughan rescued a small lad from his parents who beat him constantly. He was placed with an aunt, who sadly beat him too. Then he went to a foster home, where again he was beaten.
He has now apparently been placed with the Ireland football team who, as we all know, cannot beat anyone.

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

Reading these posts, I am reminded of Bill Shankly who is reported to have said -

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

Seriously, surely it cannot be beyond the resources of football to have some sort of replay system. Tennis managed to come up a system so that players can challenge line calls. It has been hugely successful and is greatly enjoyed by audiences as well as helping correct mistakes. No system is absolutely foolproof, but in this day and age, surely it can be done.

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
trish

Post by trish »

Ah Evie B.. you're so kind.. thank you.

Ken, that is a very good joke.

Ah well we will still enjoy the World Cup. I was checking to see if it would be on during Krakow but I see it starts afterwards.. You will have a fun month in June :)
Marine

Post by Marine »

Hi

Even if I don't like football (and please don't beat me for that :lol: ) I'd like to add my involvement in this discussion : it's a video of the French band "La Chanson du Dimanche", who makes a funny song each sunday about a current event and the last one was about Thierry Henry. Here's the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBubZiKVmWc

And my poor translation of the song :

At the age of 15 I made the trip to Paris
It was the first time I left my country
I sang, I danced on the ferry deck
And then I saw the prettiest hillock of Saint-Denis (wordplay because in French, we have almost the same word for "hillock" and "goal" : "butte" and "but" and Saint-Denis can be understood as the Montmartre Hillock or the stadium)

Thierry, Thierry Henry
If you want to vote to replay the game
Thierry, Thierry Henry
Then for sure buddy, people will say yes throughout Ireland

I screamed, I cried, I took the ferry
I drowned my sorrows in a Guinness pint
I removed your photo from the Panini album
I stuck on it the one of Carla Bruni instead

Thierry, Thierry Henry
If you want to vote to replay the game
Thierry, Thierry Henry
Then for sure buddy, people will say yes throughout Ireland

Thierry, Thierry Henry
Go play the kleptomania World Cup
Thierry, Thierry Henry
Either the French cries over it or the Thierry laughs about it (wordplay : "Henry" sounds like "en rit" in French)

This is the Hand, my only friend The Hand

Thierry, Thierry Henry
I think I saw a big Trappattoni
Thierry, Thierry Henry
hid the video cassette at Michel Platini's.
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

friends,

Who is perfect ? Nobody !
We are not proud of this hand, but I don't see the link between football and Leonard Cohen.
Maybe am I stupid ?. Probably.

I only want to point out that LC is very much important than football...

Patrice.
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

HI Marine

Merci for your comment. It is all really about fun. Yea, we Irish were upset at the match but we always always try see the funny side of things, no matter how bad they are... If we did not laugh , we would cry!

It's all good, it is only a game , and after a few glasses of wine, I can see it is better not to take things too seriously

Life is beautiful

Love Tinders
and by the way, Patrice, its fine... the only connection was that Leonard was doing lots of concerts in France but I really want him back here in Ireland
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

tinderella wrote:and by the way, Patrice, its fine... the only connection was that Leonard was doing lots of concerts in France but I really want him back here in Ireland
Oh, I understand your wish !
But : six dates in France (we are lucky!) and nothing in the rest of Europe seems impossible.
My guess is that other dates will be added and I hope some in Ireland. :)

Patrice

Return to “The World Tour 2010”