Favorite LC song RIGHT NOW

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
B4real

Re: Favorite LC song RIGHT NOW

Post by B4real »

Isn't it strange how a song can just grab you for a time?
At the moment an "Avalanche" is falling on me.
"The Window" is knocking on the door and "The Traitor" is deceiving me!
I wonder what wil happen to me next week?
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
seadove

Post by seadove »

B4real wrote:Isn't it strange how a song can just grab you for a time?
At the moment an "Avalanche" is falling on me.
"The Window" is knocking on the door and "The Traitor" is deceiving me!
I wonder what wil happen to me next week?
Sounds like you'll have to make a new compilation. ;-)
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

Ever since the show in St.Louis, I've been stuck on "Waiting for the Miracle". Such a haunting melody. It just seems to eat at my brain.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

Take This Waltz & Closing Time own me for the last week.
Closing Time makes me want to dance all the time and it's fun. Take This Waltz owns me probably because Lorca's work has been recently added to my library.. :)
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi Seadove,

Watch this space ;-) :)
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
QueenofSolitude

Post by QueenofSolitude »

right now I'm going through Joan of Arc and all of it's covers. The covers are very, very beautiful but Leonards is absolutely by far the best interpretation of the song. So utterly beautiful the images of her marrying the flame...just cannot tear myself away. :neutral: :cry: :roll:
and you sank beneath her wisdom like a stone
JOHN LLWL

Post by JOHN LLWL »

Still, Master song.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Well what a mood swing!

I’m now opening with “Closing Time”. All those blouses flying through the air puts you right in a toe tapping mood. Then again, I’m slowing down a bit so I’m having to go for “Take This Waltz”. Oops! Seems I had enough time on my feet and now I’m asking “Do I Have To Dance All Night?” That's my favourite for now. :)

That’s the versatility of Leonard’s music. There are so many levels – it’s like peeling the layers of an onion! Mind you, the center is much sweeter!!
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

For some reason at the moment I cannot get Tower of Song out of my mind and although I have always liked the song and listened it thousands of times I am now discovering what brilliant meaningfull lyrics these are about loss , love and his passion for music .On first inspection the song is a simple song about a musician growing old but deeper analysis reveals much more . I might not be interpreting his lyrics correctly but does that really matter so long as the message you receive is of benefit to you .
Leonard's songs will always provoke debate in my mind as to their meaning that is part of the reason I love his work so much and the fact that they can be interpreted in so many different ways by so many different people only adds to the mystic
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Suzanne is my favourite of the moment. Last night I watched numerous youtubes of Leonard performing it on the current tour, and then listened to the various CD versions several times. I just can't get enough of it! (I'm particularly enamoured of the live performances. Leonard sings with such emotion!)

And I totally agree with Yorkshire Lad about finding different meanings in Leonard's songs at different times (and by different people). The lyrics are so rich and deep that different layers become apparent even long after one thinks they've heard all there is to hear! Brilliant!
Alsiony

Post by Alsiony »

Right now, at this kind of 'moment in time', I am (yet again), having a big thing for 'A Bunch Of Lonesome Heroes'

:D

A
x
Weybridge MBW 11th July 2009

'All I know - and you must listen very carefully to this... All I know - is that I know absolutely nothing' - Frank

'Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?' - Christopher Marlowe

Much misunderstood... was the 'Hippie' with a reality fixation...
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

:idea: Right now my favorite songs are "Waiting for a miracle," "Anthem", "Avalanche" and "Suzanne" ..I am now Waiting for the miracle that my friend gets well, then I could sing the national Anthem, it would do it for me was an Avalanche of joy. Under it all, quietly sign it..Suzanne(T) :idea:
What you have now is what you were, and what you will is what you do now...Buddha
Above the graves of those painful sheds tears for the unspoken words and deeds missed...Elizabeth Harriet Beecher Stowe
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

Right now I've fallen in love with Minute Prologue and Passing Through from Live Songs and I adore the french verse of the song he speaks at the beginning of Bird On A Wire, so I keep listening to them all the time.
I'm adoring Queen Victoria, too..

Yeah, I got Live Songs only recently, so I haven't burnt it totally yet, that's why I'm still so unbelievably enthusiastic lately.. :razz:
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
QueenofSolitude

Post by QueenofSolitude »

Stamatina, I love Live Songs! It's one of those albums that's really beautiful to listen to when theres time to hear the whole thing, just like Isle of Wight. I recently downloaded a concert in Israel from 1979, I think, and he does a 5 minute intro to Suzanne which makes me tear up every time. LC live is such a wonderful treat and I feel like each time I hear it, I'm hearing it for the first time, always with wonder and a heart engorged with love :D
and you sank beneath her wisdom like a stone
B4real

Post by B4real »

Silent Night

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”