Chelsea Hotel Plaque

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
SevenX7

Re: Chelsea Hotel Plaque

Post by SevenX7 »

If anyone cancels or can't go i'd love to take their place :)
Harriet175

Post by Harriet175 »

'Everybody knows that the plaque is coming…'

Everybody knows it’s already there … thanks to the organisers!
Sure it is by far the most beautiful plaque in the whole hotel.

To all those who can attend the happening physically, and not just in thought,
wishing you will experience a special and eventful ceremony, ...very soon.
...a tune in my soul
and my heart the shape of a begging bowl

2008: 25 jul Lörrach, 29 oct Frankfurt 2009: 1 jul Cologn 2010: 3 sept Wiesbaden, 19 sept Strasbourg, 29 sept Dortmund, 1 oct Stuttgart
2012: 5 sept Berlin 6 sept Mönchengladbach 29+30 sept Paris 2013: 25 jun Oberhausen, 28 jun Mannheim, 14 jul Hamburg, 24 aug Zürich
Giulia

Post by Giulia »

ladydi wrote:Hi Giulia,

Don't worry. I will be at the Chelsea Hotel on Friday and will take many photos with my camera! However, I think there will also be professional photographers at the Chelsea who will take much better photos than me. Thanks so much for contributing...it is so special, isn't it! At any rate, I/we will share our simple offerings with you in a few days.

Wish you could be there also...will be thinking of you.

All the best,
Diana
Hi ladydi
Thank you so much for the answer. I did make a mistake, but i had allready had an nice email. I cant wait till i see the pictures here, and maby elswhere.
I love for you all who can be there, i atmid i am a bit jalous, but you understand what i mean, the way i am "jalous". :oops: O, i hope you understand my terible englisch, in writing its difficult. Have a BEAUTIFUL day, give Leonard a big hug from me ( :oops: ) and i will be there in my mind, with all of you, greetz and love giulia
Leonard 77, 21 of september 78, and still the greatest of all times

In my secret live.
Giulia

Post by Giulia »

sue7 wrote:
Giulia wrote:
Ooops, sorry, thats the difficulty in Englisch, i made a big mistake. I saw my name for the plaque, that was another thing, please accept my apoligy ( dont know how to write, just saying sorry). I hope there will be many pictures here on the forum, to watch? The happening i mean, thanks a lot, you all
and have a wonderull day, love and greetz Giulia
Hi Giulia,
There's no need to apologize: I'm pleased your name is really on the list of plaque donors. In addition to the photographers who will be taking pictures, I will set up a video camera, and hopefully there will be some video to post up on the forum. We are really looking forward to it.
Best wishes,
Sue
Thank you so much Sue, for the email, and indeed in cant wait till i see the movies, pictures here and maby on youtube?
to you also, have a wondefull day, with all the Leonard lovers, enjoy the day, big hug for THE MAN ( ;-) ) many greetz from Giulia
Leonard 77, 21 of september 78, and still the greatest of all times

In my secret live.
sue7

Post by sue7 »

If you are a plaque donor and emailed one of us about a correction or omission, please rest assured that we have corrected the list. The corrected list of donors appears on the printed program for the event. I will post the entire printed program on the forum over the weekend. I promise that I will post it up here as soon as possible. :)
Sue
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From New York Times -
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... ohen-well/
October 22, 2009, 1:59 pm

Chelsea Hotel Will Remember Leonard Cohen Well

By Dave Itzkoff

Leonard CohenChelsea Hotel A plaque in honor of Leonard Cohen that will be officially unveiled on Friday.

Updated | 2:58 p.m. Artists don’t always want to brag about things they did at the Chelsea Hotel, but Leonard Cohen will soon receive a distinction there that’s worth boasting about. On Friday, the hotel will unveil a plaque in recognition of Mr. Cohen, the singer-songwriter and poet, who resided there and wrote his song “Chelsea Hotel No. 2″ in memory of it (and a liaison with Janis Joplin). The honor puts Mr. Cohen in the company of other notable former hotel denizens, including Thomas Wolfe, Arthur Miller and Dylan Thomas, who have also received plaques in its entranceway. Mr. Cohen’s plaque, which is dated Sept. 21, 2009, to mark his 75th birthday, is scheduled to be unveiled at 2:30 p.m.

A larger image of the plaque honoring Leonard Cohen at the Chelsea Hotel can be seen below:
LC-Chelsea.jpg
Leonard Cohen plaque
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

What happened to the
'Our Man'
on the plaque?
:cry:
CinCin

Post by CinCin »

I was in New York on Friday, and thought the plaque was already up, so I went to the hotel. The handyman was kind enough to take me down in the basement where it was sitting wrapped in a towel on his work bench, waiting for approval from the City because the building is Historic. It looks wonderful! We should all be proud of Dick and everyone who helped make this happen. Thank you so much!
From bitter searching of the heart, we rise to play a greater part. Frank Scott (Although I would never have heard it if it weren't for Leonard Cohen).

Phoenix, April 2009; Nashville, Nov. 5, 2009; San Jose, Nov. 13, 2009.
marisab123

Post by marisab123 »

I am so excited to meet everyone tomorrow! Thank you so much for the hard work, the plaque looks beautiful! I'm so glad I live in NY.

Marisa
mutti

Post by mutti »

I will be thinking of all of you at the reception tomorrow and although I am not there I will be in spririt.
The plaque looks beautiful! I look forward to all the photos and videos and stories.
Mutti (Leslie) :lol:
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

Congratulations to Dick and everyone involved in the plaque project. Janis and I stayed at the Chelsea 3 weeks ago and we will be there in spirit today for this historic occasion.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I would be so immensely happy for all of you if Leonard were to be there at the ceremony to accept the plaque himself. Even so, you are all in such lovely company with each other and I look forward to seeing and reading all the coverage of this momentous occasion.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
crystal

Post by crystal »

I would so love to be there with you this afternoon. I wish everybody a very great time. I am sure you love every minute of it. I expect I will spend tonight in front of my screen waiting for news from New YorK.
Lot of good wishes from Berlin, Christel
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Thanks for all the good wishes. Christel, remember that many or most of us who will be there will be at Madison Square Garden tonight, and we'll be a number of hours behind you, so Saturday will probably be the earliest that you'll have news.
Sue
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Hope the plaque ceremony goes well, looking forward to hearing about it :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”