Leonard Cohen: Hallelujah: A New Biography by Tim Footman

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
WiTS

Leonard Cohen: Hallelujah: A New Biography by Tim Footman

Post by WiTS »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leonard-Cohen-H ... 1842404725

Paperback: 300 pages
Publisher: CHROME DREAMS (2 Nov 2009)
Language English
ISBN-10: 1842404725
ISBN-13: 978-1842404720

Chronicling the highs and lows that have punctuated the life of a musical genius, this in-depth biography reveals new insight into the legendary songs of Leonard Cohen. Covering each stage in his prolific career--his early years as a poet and author in Canada, his relocation to New York City and subsequent impact within the folk and rock scenes, his years spent in a Buddhist monastery, and his recent rediscovery by a new generation of fans--this definitive history combines perceptive research with previously unpublished photos. Balancing his literary and musical influences with themes of religion, depression, sex, politics, and complex interpersonal relationships, fresh perspectives are highlighted through interviews with colleagues who have never before gone on record. His recent release of new music, current revival in popularity, and first tour in 15 years are fully detailed and cited as one of the most dramatic periods in the life of this eloquent songwriter.

About the author
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Footman
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
tomsakic

Re: Leonard Cohen: Hallelujah: A New Biography by Tim Footman

Post by tomsakic »

The news is on main of The Leonard Cohen Files since June 5th - http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/footman.html
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Thanks WiTS,

I'm glad you mentioned this, as I hadn't noticed it before.

All the best, John E
Mondomando

Post by Mondomando »

I see it is published by Chrome Dreams. There is a Neil Young album by that name. Nice image.

Looking forward to reading this.

Daevid
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I pre-ordered this from Amazon a while back & I have just received an email from them saying that they are expecting to receive copies earlier than expected & that it will be dispatatched 19/20 of Oct, 2 weeks early :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I just ordered it from Amazon (UK) - it say it's on sale earlier than expected indeed.

Btw, also saw CHROME DREAMS now listed as the publisher and that frightened me. It's the company which released Classic Interviews CD in Januray 2009 and two DVDs Leonard Cohen Under Review, so my expectations right now are pretty low. Only hope is the author's name, he's said to be renowned music critic. We will see.
caz

Post by caz »

I've just received my copy - only read page 1 so far but that initial reading seems to bode well. No doubt a faster reader than me ( or someone with more time!) will be along soon to comment further.

And now I'm going to start reading with a vengeance - it's lie-in time and I have a cup of tea and a promising book to hand.....
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

Received mine from Amazon today.
Now I have to scurry round to finish the days chores before starting it, otherwise I will never get anything done today.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
phillip

Post by phillip »

I have got my copy seems rather good so far will be back when I have read some more...
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

About quarter way through and find it easy to read and quite informative.
Some nice pictures too. When I pick it up before I continue to read, I just have to have another quick look at the picture titled ''Before The Storm'
as I am captivated by that oh, so beautiful smile. I wonder what made him smile so. He still has that same smile. OOOO..
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

This sounds wonderfully interesting! Ordered my copy yesterday from Amazon and is supposed to be here next week! Can't wait...will hold me over between NY and Las Vegas/San Jose! ;-)

Diana
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

rom AmericanSongWriter.com
http://www.americansongwriter.com/2009/ ... ext-album/
New Book Offers Sneak Peak Into Leonard Cohen’s Next Album

By Kevin Richards on November 2nd, 2009
youngcohen.jpg
On December 8, Chrome Dreams will release “Hallelujah,” a new biography of Canadian songwriting legend Leonard Cohen, the first to be published since 1988. The book delves into Cohen’s storied career, and reveals details about fresh songs that will purportedly be part of a new studio album, to be released next year.

From the press release:

A major recording artist since the release of his first album in 1967, the legend that is Leonard Cohen has had a revival of religious proportions during the past few years. After spending the best part of the previous decade living in a monastery and meditating 12 hours a day, music’s most eloquent poet rose again in the late noughties, and in the process grabbed a whole new fan-base from generations barely aware of his huge body of work up to that point.

This book tells Cohen’s entire, fascinating story. From his years growing up in Quebec in a middle class Jewish family, through a decade as a budding poet and author – following the publication of his first collection in 1956 – his relocation to NYC and entry into the world of folk and rock [at the age of 37] and his successful career as a singer-songwriter whose own recordings have regularly competed with versions by other vocalists. The story continues through the Cohen revival and the wholly unexpected position he found himself in, in December 2008, when 2 cover versions of the song with which this book shares a title competing for the coveted UK Christmas Number one single spot. The book goes on to include details of his newest material – his first for a decade – currently being recorded alongside more live performances.
Advertisement

This work includes many new interviews with key Cohen associates, brand new research and the most updated material available.

Leonard Cohen has attracted a completely new generation of fans over the past two years, thanks to some high profile UK gigs at the O2 and at summer festivals [including a stunning Glastonbury appearance in July '08].

He achieved his first credit as a top 10 composer in December 2008 in style, when his song ‘Hallelujah’ occupied both the UK’s Christmas Number One and Number Two spots in different versions.

There has not been a new Leonard Cohen biography published since 1998.

Leonard Cohen is currently recording material for a proposed new record to be released, allegedly, during 2010.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Tim Footman (born 1968) is a writer specializing in popular music .He is the author of a number of books including Welcome To The Machine: OK Computer and the Death of the Classic Album (2007). His work has appeared in Mojo, Time Out, The Bangkock Post and the iconoclastic Doctor Who fanzine Perigosto Stick, among other publications. He is a contributor to the Guardian’s comment website Comment is Free and the Prospect blog First Drafts. From 1999 to 2001 he was the editor of Guinness World Records, during which time its emphasis became markedly more light-hearted. Before this he was editor of the PUSH Guide to University. His most recent book is The Noughties [Crimson Publishing 2009]. He was the winner of one of the biggest cash prizes on the UK edition of The Weakest Link and has also appeared on Mastermind, University Challenge and Brain of Britain.

sue7

Post by sue7 »

Linda, I have to laugh. While I was trying to figure out the best place to put this article, you got it up!! LOL...
So this is confirmation of the new album, I guess? We are so lucky...
Sue
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

From the author's blog @ http://www.rocksbackpagesblogs.com/?author=37

The never-ending story of Leonard Cohen
Author: Tim Footman
October 23, 2009 @ 11:47 pm

I’ve long been a defender of books. Good, honest, inky, papery, analogue books, with words that don’t change colour even if you point at them. Kindles? Pah! They don’t smell of anything, and you can’t fold the corners over. And yet… and yet.

Earlier this year, I wrote a biography of the strange, funny, old, Canadian, Jewish, randy, short, hat-wearing singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen. In August, it went to the printers. And now it’s back from the printers, and it’s in shops, in piles that make me go a bit swoony when I see them. The only problem is that between printing and publication, a number of things happened that by all rights ought to have been in the book:

Beck unveiled his collaborative Record Club project, a reinterpretation of Cohen’s first album;
Cohen himself collapsed on stage in Valencia;
His performance at the 1970 Isle of Wight festival was released as a CD+DVD package;
Sometime Mr Minnelli David Gest blessed concert-goers with his version of ‘Hallelujah’.

Now, if the biography had been available in an electronic form, I could have slotted all these nuggets in with minimal fuss, right up to the point of distribution. In fact, surely it would be quite feasible for purchasers to subscribe to some sort of infinite update, whereby any news stories pertaining to Mr Cohen could be seamlessly integrated, so that my book became a permanently evolving text, as constantly surprising as Leonard himself.

But isn’t there something to be said for a book (or a record, or a film, or whatever) existing as a definitive, discrete document? There it is: no extra nuggets; no previously unreleased tracks; no CGI Jabba the Hutt. It can be wrong; it can be misconceived; it can be out of date. But it still is. Deal with it. Otherwise you’ve just got Wikipedia.

That said, I’m still pissed off that I missed out David Gest.
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
kevwill

Post by kevwill »

Got it in Waterstones Chester last week (30/10) - unbelievably it was one of their 3 for the price of 2 offers.

[edited for spelling - ouch]
Manchester Opera House 20 June 2008
Manchester MEN Arena 30 November 2008

Return to “News”