Leonard Cohen lands in Israel

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jenrbr

Re: Leonard Cohen lands in Israel

Post by jenrbr »

SHALOM SHALOM SHALOM!!!!!!!!

I just opened an email from a friend of mine down on Kibbutz Nirim. She worte to me that Leonard was on Israeli TV and assured me that he is looking healthy and very fit!

How I wish I was back in Israel!

Will get my chance to catch up with this specatcular tour on Oct 23 in NYC

To the entire entourage in Tel Aviv - I wish you all great success... or as we say in Hebrew HAZLACHA.
Hope you all have an opportunity to see and experience the most exquisite country that side of the Mediteranean!

Kol Tov
Jenny
seadove

Re: Norman? :-)

Post by seadove »

friscogrl wrote:I can't think of a better way to end this leg of tour than by having this concert in Israel! I can't wait for reports. All of his concerts touch us but this one one obviously has special meaning! Have a great time all 47,000 of you!

Marsha
Special meaning indeed! A sponser has invested such a lot of shillings and pounds to make this evening an unforgettable one, there are as large a crowd as about 49,000 people, the stage has been built probably 4 times larger than the ordinary ones Lennie played on in Europe, special sound equipment have been shipped from the States to suit the large space of the football field, some 100 people are working on the grounds right now at that stadium, there will be about 75 hostesses hired by the sponser to usher in the guests with a gift package, it's a large purse inside, amongst some other stuff, is a cushion for our tushes (a cush for the tush) and an electrical light to wave it for the songs. And yours truly is going to rave and scream and cheer and smile and , yes, also shed some tears together with most of the maddening crowd. ;-)

I have not slept last night because of over anticipation and excitement. Do you know what I mean? ;-)
seadove

Post by seadove »

Some more bits of news about Lennie from our local media:
1. It seems that Mr Cohen loves noodle soup, yummy! :lol:

2. Does not come out of his room, nor is he approaching his window, I think under orders from his security people.

3. He's got the most security guys than others who visited Israel, I think it's a right decision.

4. His hired plane will take him, amongst other places, Jerusalem and the Dead Sea.

5. Bilaterally, he and his crew will find time to re check the sound system on the grounds sometime this evening.

6. Tomorrow, before the show, there will be a small ceremony in honour of his peace fund, under the words "How the lights gets in". The ceremony will also be attended by Mr David Grossman, a well known author.

7. He is medically looked after by Dr. Oganzov, a prominant and well known doctor.
Rain

Post by Rain »

I'm scared. Is it wise to ANNOUNCE where he is and the fact that he will be flying in a private plane over Israel? God and angels be with him.........
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Rain wrote:I'm scared. Is it wise to ANNOUNCE where he is and the fact that he will be flying in a private plane over Israel? God and angels be with him.........
Finally I get to comment on a subject I actually know something about:
Fear not, the Israeli air space is extremely safe. Taking that aerial tour is one of the safest activities that Leonard is engaging in during his visit.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
Habie

Post by Habie »

I second that, brightnow.

I once made a documentary for BBC Television about the medieval struggles over the Holy Land between Mongols, Christians and Muslims ; Israel was the only place we were able to hire a helicopter to film aerial shots, even at the height of the last Intifada. As you say, airspace is so safe and patrolled in Israel that it was considered less risky than all the other countries we went to (Egypt, Syria, Japan, China, France...).

Hotel security in Tel Aviv is pretty good too.

I don't believe there is any reason to fear for Leonard or the band in Israel; apart perhaps from what a previous poster described as being 'loved to death' by the fans.

I hope Leonard and co manage to enjoy the trip, to find a way despite being in a war zone of appreciating the place and its peoples - all of them.

After all, depending on how you look at it, most places in the world today are at some kind of War, as Leonard knows.

And polarisation is the enemy of poets.

Shalom salaam,
Habie x
yaniv297

Post by yaniv297 »

WOW I'm so excited...
tomorrow it's finally going to happen...
In 24 hours leonard will probably have finished his first set...
Purple Princess

Post by Purple Princess »

Am soooooooooooo excited too!! Just saw Leonard on the Israeli news - roll on tomorrow!! :D :D
Manchester 1979; Birmingham 1985; London x 2 1988; London 1993; Edinburgh Castle, London 2008 Ramat Gan and Las Vegas 2009Sligo 2010Las Vegas Dec. 2010
Verona September 2012; Leeds sept 2013
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Dear all Cohenites in Israel,

Enjoy the sunshine, enjoy LC's presence, enjoy the concert and tell us all about it afterwards! We can hardly wait to hear the news and see the videos on YouTube.
We, the rest of known and unknown Cohenites who were not able to fly over, will be heart and soul with you and him throughout his stay there!

And, by the way - is there anyone who doesn't like chicken noodle soup?!? I just love it.

Carmen
Rain

Post by Rain »

brightnow wrote:
Rain wrote:I'm scared. Is it wise to ANNOUNCE where he is and the fact that he will be flying in a private plane over Israel? God and angels be with him.........
Finally I get to comment on a subject I actually know something about:
Fear not, the Israeli air space is extremely safe. Taking that aerial tour is one of the safest activities that Leonard is engaging in during his visit.

Thanks. Makes me feel a tad better...I'm just nervous. :( I know that Israeli air space is well-patrolled. I'm glad he's doing the show...it will mean so much to the people there.....I'll just be glad when he's back home! Thanks for the reassurance.

Rain
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer »

Dear Fans in Israel!

Enjoy the legend Concert tomorrow night!!

I will tomorrow night be with you in thoughts. And please we waiting of news and videos in You tube :D

He has already completed his european Tour in Israel for many Years ago. And now again in your sunny and historic country.

With my best wishes for all

Marina
Bela

Post by Bela »

So happy it is finally going to happen.

Have fun, everyone! Hope all goes well!
London O2 Arena 17 July (with binoculars)
London RAH 17 November (without binoculars)
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Dear fans in Israel,

I am with you in the excitement you must be feeling. It is now the early hours of September 24th in your country. Tonight will be the concert! How I wish I could be with you.....as I wished I could have been in Barcelona for Leonard's birthday.

Somehow, I feel there may be many who are not sleeping well tonight. The miracle comes tomorrow!

This moment in time is truly ordained....many blessings to you all! Leonard touches our souls.

Diana
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

The maneuvers to protect our man from too much attention continue: Sound check was done a day ahead of the cocnert
(Considering the inappropriate disclosure of details in the media I'm glad they are doing this)

Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

1. It seems that Mr Cohen loves noodle soup, yummy! :lol:
Ah, Seadove, I LOVE this statement! Now what better medicine for his recent illness in Spain than good old "Jewish Penicillin"!?!?!?!

To all those who will be in attendance there in Israel, what a wonderful and momentous occasion! What a marvelous time to be in Israel. Enjoy! We await the news of the concert and videos on YouTube.

In Leonard's own words:
...All your praises they shall ring
If it be your will
To let me sing

If it be your will
If there is a choice
Let the rivers fill
Let the hills rejoice
Let your mercy spill
On all these burning hearts in hell
If it be your will
To make us well...